Hot Chip

suzie sue

2 hours ago, uscore said:

Why is that?

Is it because they are playing at somewhere that's a nightclub afterwards?

I hate that. Places should either do a gig night, or a club night, not greedily try to squeeze in both.  It means you have to be in absurdly early to have a chance of seeing a support act, and you don't have enough time to have a few drinks before the headliner comes on. If I was in a band I'd refuse to play places like that.

If that's not the reason, apologies for the rant.

Probably no support. That was the case with Foals and Vampire Weekend and both were on at 8.30.

22 minutes ago, briddj said:

Probably no support. That was the case with Foals and Vampire Weekend and both were on at 8.30.

Well that's not so bad then. I hope you all get a longer set.

Did foals and vampire play typical length sets but just finish earlier?

I like gigs to be as late as possible!

6 hours ago, Mardy said:

I love Hot Chip, been a fan for at least 10 years, in fact, think the first time I saw them was Glastonbury 2007/2008 (in the JP), but fuck me, that cover of Sabotage is appalling.

Rather partial to this version...

Gig and an early night never raises a complaint for me. Last year I saw Patti Smith the same night the Rolling Stones played in Manchester. It was still light outside when I got out of the gig, so I drove home without having to put up well before The Stones' traffic made the roads near my flat impassable. Even had time to sit in the living room with brew, window open ajar, vining to the sounds of distant crowds signing along to the big jams Then I was up early for school in the morning without any bother.

I agree. Mostly if I go to a gig it's after work, so what do I do between work and the gig, go to the pub, and drink, waiting for the gig, or go home, turn straight back round and come back out again. 

I say more early gigs,  - finish work at 5.30, gig starts at 7, over by 9/9.30, time to go home. Perfectly sensible, especially in the week.

Really enjoyed the show at SWG3 last night and as I thought, seeing them before Glastonbury has now given me less of a clashterfuck headache. It'll be Jonny H all the way for me now. There were moments last night (particularly when they played the old favourites) that I thought "I MUST hear this in a field in Somerset in June" but there wasn't quite enough to keep me dancing non-stop for the entire set. Maybe the new ones have yet to catch fire? 

The "Sabotage" cover was fun, if a little out of place in the set but I liked it. Dunno what is sounds like played back though! Glasgow crowd was a bit more subdued than usual, Monday doesn't usually mean anything to this lot! 

Quite a short set, less than a dozen tunes but at £22 a ticket it was decent value for these days.

The superfans among you will love it! Especially in the intimate settings. Enjoy! 

19 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I agree. Mostly if I go to a gig it's after work, so what do I do between work and the gig, go to the pub, and drink, waiting for the gig, or go home, turn straight back round and come back out again. 

I say more early gigs,  - finish work at 5.30, gig starts at 7, over by 9/9.30, time to go home. Perfectly sensible, especially in the week.

I'm with you on this 100%.

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Really enjoyed the show at SWG3 last night and as I thought, seeing them before Glastonbury has now given me less of a clashterfuck headache. It'll be Jonny H all the way for me now. There were moments last night (particularly when they played the old favourites) that I thought "I MUST hear this in a field in Somerset in June" but there wasn't quite enough to keep me dancing non-stop for the entire set. Maybe the new ones have yet to catch fire? 

The "Sabotage" cover was fun, if a little out of place in the set but I liked it. Dunno what is sounds like played back though! Glasgow crowd was a bit more subdued than usual, Monday doesn't usually mean anything to this lot! 

Quite a short set, less than a dozen tunes but at £22 a ticket it was decent value for these days.

The superfans among you will love it! Especially in the intimate settings. Enjoy! 

Good to hear. Leaning towards Jonny H already as only seen him once and never at the farm, so if Thursday sates the Hot Chip thirst then all the better. Although would prefer no clash...

32 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Did they just play the two new songs from the 6 Music festival? Or did you get more new material? 

2 hours ago, Mardy said:

The other end of this stick tho, is it can be a pain to those who travel for gigs. Currently I can go to a gig in Leeds or Liverpool and not have to take the afternoon off, that wouldn't be so if gigs were earlier. Also, spare a thought for the citizens of fair Huddersfield, Clitheroe, Wigan, Buxton, Lancaster, Skelmersdale, Burnley, Halifax, Todmorden, St Helen's, all those sorts of places where life is barely worth living, those cats gotta travel to see anything at all.

• Upvote 1

we often have to get baby sitters and are lucky to get to the venue by 8pm.  I like to have a few beers to the support act and then be nicely loosened for the headliner.  I accept if you regularly go to weekday gigs, don't drink much, and have to be up super early then earlier gigs work for you.

Worst are the early weekend gigs (and that's often because the venue is doubling up gig and club night).  Perfect opportunity for 2 support acts and a later finish, ruined.  I'd be up for bands starting at 10 at weekends.

I went to a Tim Burgess gig at tea time a couple of weeks ago. Had a first date immediately after it. Rolled up 5 pints deep, no nerves at all and absolutely smashed it. Will be my 4th date with her this Thursday. No complaints from me in regards to early gigs.

Edited by eastynh
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I went to a Tim Burgess gig at tea time a couple of weeks ago. Had a first date immediately after it. Rolled up 5 pints deep, no nerves at all and absolutely smashed it. Will be my 4th date with her this Thursday. No complaints from me in regards to early gigs.

Do you refer to all your dates as "it"? ;)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Glasgow crowd was a bit more subdued than usual, Monday doesn't usually mean anything to this lot! 

Totally agree, crowd was pretty flat for certain songs which surprised me. I was right at the back so thought it may be that but obviously not. Was a great gig though.

31 minutes ago, eastynh said:

If you are going to need 5 pints to ‘calm your nerves’, you are going to be a fat, jobless, alcoholic in no time....

hold on.... that’s me.!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

If you are going to need 5 pints to ‘calm your nerves’, you are going to be a fat, jobless, alcoholic in no time....

hold on.... that’s me.!

Does anyone actually enjoy a 1st date? 

The alcohol really helped and we had a ball.