Hot Chip

suzie sue

14 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Heard one life stand on Laverne's show this morning and it sounded fantastic. I've agreed with my girlfriend to see the killers instead. Might have been an error ?

I can confirm it is an error. 

There's nothing wrong with the current drummer.  If I was in a rehearsal room auditioning* and he sat down at the kit I'd be amazed and hire him on the spot, but Sarah added an ineffable sense of urgency to the music.  It's not like the difference between Robbie Maddix and Reni, and might even be my imagination, but she just seemed a bit tighter and slightly further forward on the beat.

It's not as if he's Stephen Morris or anything.  I expect gigging a bit will improve things. He's already very good.

* It is very many years since I've seen the inside of a rehearsal room.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There's nothing wrong with the current drummer.  If I was in a rehearsal room auditioning* and he sat down at the kit I'd be amazed and hire him on the spot, but Sarah added an ineffable sense of urgency to the music.  It's not like the difference between Robbie Maddix and Reni, and might even be my imagination, but she just seemed a bit tighter and slightly further forward on the beat.

It's not as if he's Stephen Morris or anything.  I expect gigging a bit will improve things. He's already very good.

You cheeky little scamp you.

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think there were a bit of nerves but he had a good groove! Took the lead from Al Doyle most of the way so not sure how rehearsed he is. Any idea who he is?

3 hours ago, cammie81 said:

They tweeted that they are on at 20:30 sharp tonight.

Why is that?

Is it because they are playing at somewhere that's a nightclub afterwards?

I hate that. Places should either do a gig night, or a club night, not greedily try to squeeze in both.  It means you have to be in absurdly early to have a chance of seeing a support act, and you don't have enough time to have a few drinks before the headliner comes on. If I was in a band I'd refuse to play places like that.

If that's not the reason, apologies for the rant.

4 hours ago, Mardy said:

I love Hot Chip, been a fan for at least 10 years, in fact, think the first time I saw them was Glastonbury 2007/2008 (in the JP), but fuck me, that cover of Sabotage is appalling.

Only made it through about 30 seconds before concluding that if I am to hear it properly then 4 days solid drinking may be required first.

44 minutes ago, uscore said:

Why is that?

Is it because they are playing at somewhere that's a nightclub afterwards?

I hate that. Places should either do a gig night, or a club night, not greedily try to squeeze in both.  It means you have to be in absurdly early to have a chance of seeing a support act, and you don't have enough time to have a few drinks before the headliner comes on. If I was in a band I'd refuse to play places like that.

If that's not the reason, apologies for the rant.

Hopefully long set. My wish list is 117 songs long.