Albums of the Year 2018

Superunknown

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Kamasi Washington’s was Mojo’s album of the year.

IDLES came top of 6 Music’s.

Lead singer (I think) was on the 6 just now, described his ideal slot as the Park Stage on the Friday or Saturday night "just as the sun goes down". Can see them headlining Park or JP.

Going have to go for the old 'no particular order' as none have really blown me away this year, plus two pre-orders still to come. All very enjoyable but the earth hasn't moved.

First Aid Kit - Ruins
Frank Turner - Be More Kind
St Paul & The Broken Bones - Young Sick Camelia
Billy F Gibbons - The Big Bad Blues
Slaves - Acts of Fear & Love

• Upvote 1

This popped up on the FB feed last night after Soccer Mommy gave them a shout out for her top 5 placement. Decent list if you're an indie monkey like me;

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/11/the-50-best-albums-of-2018.html

Haven't heard of the #1 before though, giving it a spin now. It's good, getting some Angel Olsen vibes off of her.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

This popped up on the FB feed last night after Soccer Mommy gave them a shout out for her top 5 placement. Decent list if you're an indie monkey like me;

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/11/the-50-best-albums-of-2018.html

Haven't heard of the #1 before though, giving it a spin now. It's good, getting some Angel Olsen vibes off of her.

Did @the wonderwhy write this list 

13 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Also absolutely fuck the Decemberists. Dull as

I'm a fan of The Decemberists, but I'm quite surprised they've put it this high. Definitely not their best, although it has some enjoyable lyrics that please my melancholy. 

Glad to see Lucy Dacus, Soccer Mommy and Snail Mail in the top 10, all in my list of most listens this year. Hop Along also recently. Good year for female-fronted indie. Boygenius just an EP and not included I think? 

24 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

I'm a fan of The Decemberists, but I'm quite surprised they've put it this high. Definitely not their best, although it has some enjoyable lyrics that please my melancholy. 

Glad to see Lucy Dacus, Soccer Mommy and Snail Mail in the top 10, all in my list of most listens this year. Hop Along also recently. Good year for female-fronted indie. Boygenius just an EP and not included I think? 

Couldn't get into Snail Mail, might give it another go. Hop Along is easily in my top 10, trying to decide where. Really enjoyed Hinds and Beach House too. 

Heard good things about Soccer Mommy so that'll be on my to listen list. Love a bit of female fronted indie. 

Edited by Superunknown

27 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

Good year for female-fronted indie. 

Great point well made.

3 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Couldn't get into Snail Mail, might give it another go. Hop Along is easily in my top 10, trying to decide where. Really enjoyed Hinds and Beach House too. 

Heard good things about Soccer Mommy so that'll be on my to listen list. Love a bit of female fronted indie. 

Can't believe you haven't listened to Soccer Mommy after the amount @the wonderwhy banged on about her this time last year.

My Top 20 albums of 2018 (final order). It’s been a great year. 

1. Rolo Tomassi - Time Will Die and Love Will Bury It

2. Turnstile - Time and Space 

3. Architects - Holy Hell 

4. IDLES - Joy As An Act of Resistance 

5. Conjurer - Mire 

6. MØL - Jord 

7. Joyce Manor - Million Dollars To Kill Me 

8. Spanish Love Songs - Schmaltz 

9. The Story So Far - Proper Dose

10. Nervus - Everything Dies 

11. Don Broco - Technology 

12. Parkway Drive - Reverence 

13. Slow Crush - Aurora 

14. The Dirty Nil - Master Volume 

15. Alice In Chains - Rainier Fog 

16. Bury Tomorrow - Black Flame 

17. Behemoth - I Loved You At Your Darkest

18. Can’t Swim - This Too Won’t Pass 

19. Trophy Eyes - American Dream 

20. Ghost - Prequelle 

18 hours ago, Superunknown said:

I had the same issue with Snail Mail.  Listened to it again yesterday on the way home in the pissing rain and it absolutely clicked.  Had another spin this morning (pissing rain again) and yep, still works.  I'd say it kinda suits a certain set of conditions :D

8 minutes ago, Quark said:

I had the same issue with Snail Mail.  Listened to it again yesterday on the way home in the pissing rain and it absolutely clicked.  Had another spin this morning (pissing rain again) and yep, still works.  I'd say it kinda suits a certain set of conditions :D

Hmm maybe I'll stare longingly out of my rain streaked window, see if it works ?

I've come to the realisation that trying to compile my top 10 for the year is my adult equivalent of trying to write a book report on the bus to school.  It's unstructured, based on the most recent parts I've listened to, hastily cobbled together and will stand up to absolutely no scrutiny whatsoever.

The only difference is I'm not actually having to stand up in front of a class full of eFesters sniggering away while my list is torn to pieces by Mr Jefferies.

As you can tell I have absolutely no lingering issues from my schooldays...

Got a decent 20 something long list now, probably give it another week then post my top 10.

Placements will be tough this year, plenty of stuff I've really liked but no runaway winners, and I'm firmly against the 'in no particular order' stuff. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

9 hours ago, Quark said:

I've come to the realisation that trying to compile my top 10 for the year is my adult equivalent of trying to write a book report on the bus to school.  It's unstructured, based on the most recent parts I've listened to, hastily cobbled together and will stand up to absolutely no scrutiny whatsoever.

The only difference is I'm not actually having to stand up in front of a class full of eFesters sniggering away while my list is torn to pieces by Mr Jefferies.

As you can tell I have absolutely no lingering issues from my schooldays...

Omg yesterday somebody on here mentioned Artemis Fowl and I typed up a whole post about how I was supposed to read it in Year 5 and do a review of it but I didn't and this lead to me being stood up in front of the whole school and an effigy of our lord Jesus Christ to receive a bollocking and I've never really recovered but then I deleted it because it revealed too much about my damaged soul.

18 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Omg yesterday somebody on here mentioned Artemis Fowl and I typed up a whole post about how I was supposed to read it in Year 5 and do a review of it but I didn't and this lead to me being stood up in front of the whole school and an effigy of our lord Jesus Christ to receive a bollocking and I've never really recovered but then I deleted it because it revealed too much about my damaged soul.

Always time for a long-winded anecdote on eFestivals that you no one cares about but you post it anyway.

46 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'd have more sympathy if your book reference hadn't made me feel old :D

34 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Always time for a long-winded anecdote on eFestivals that you no one cares about but you post it anyway.

When you say "you" do you mean in a general sense or are you accusing me personally of going off on lengthy non-sequiturs?

Either way it was horrifying, I looked around the hall for a supportive face but there was none. All the teachers had intently knitted brows and beady little eyes glaring at me in a "this is what you deserve" way, all my fellow schoolchums were absolutely loving the savage takedown, even Jesus himself averted his gaze. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the son of God who supposedly died for our sins, didn't see it necessary to intervene when a defenceless child was subject to a comparable public execution.

9 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

When you say "you" do you mean in a general sense or are you accusing me personally of going off on lengthy non-sequiturs?

Either way it was horrifying, I looked around the hall for a supportive face but there was none. All the teachers had intently knitted brows and beady little eyes glaring at me in a "this is what you deserve" way, all my fellow schoolchums were absolutely loving the savage takedown, even Jesus himself averted his gaze. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the son of God who supposedly died for our sins, didn't see it necessary to intervene when a defenceless child was subject to a comparable public execution.

I meant in a general sense but I was mostly poking fun at myself for posting constant anecdotes that I know no one cares about.

And of course I missed out the word "know" in that post. But that's besides the point.

Anyway, should have done your book report instead of posting on eFestivals.

Here`s mine 

JOE BONAMASSA- REDEMPTION
FIRST AID KIT- RUINS
COURTNEY BARNETT- TELL ME HOW YOU REALLY FEEL
JON HOPKINS- SINGULARITY
PARQUET COURTS- WIDE AWAKE
GAZ COOMBES- WORLDS STONGEST MAN
MARIBOU STATE- KINGDOMS IN COLOUR
JACK WHITE- BOARDING HOUSE REACH
FLORENCE + THE MACINE- HIGH AS HOPE
JOHNNY MARR- CALL THE COMET
LEON BRIDGES- GOOD THING