Albums of the Year 2018

Superunknown

15 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

If I didn't enjoy last year's Idles album is it worth bothering with this year's Idles album?

It's more accessible, songs are more dare I say it more pop-like in structure whilst still sounding like Idles (GREAT, Danny Nedelko for example) and it is better so I'd give it a whirl. Album of the year for me.

19 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

Got three songs in and didn't enjoy it, Might have to persevere and listen it through.

I'd always recommend listening to an album three times before deciding unless it commpletely offends your ears.  So many albums are far more rewarding long term when they grow on you, those that are immediately accessible tend to get uninteresting just as quickly.

8 minutes ago, Maurice Mecca said:

I'd always recommend listening to an album three times before deciding unless it commpletely offends your ears.  So many albums are far more rewarding long term when they grow on you, those that are immediately accessible tend to get uninteresting just as quickly.

Long time since I had one of those "learn to appreciate a record" experiences. Its visceral with me. I don't have the patience to dwell on something I might initially have thought was gash.

27 minutes ago, Maurice Mecca said:

Agreed, I rarely 'click' with an album straight away. I usually mentally note a few of the songs that stood out which gives me a reason to go back then go through the album again. Did this with IDLES after hearing Danny Nedelko, I'm Scum and Never Fight a Man With a Perm.

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Got more music than I could ever possibly listen to if I lived 5 lifetimes at my disposal, if something isn't doing it for me then I'll just swim further out into that vast uncharted sea... Either that or I'll just go back to listening to Carly Rae Jepsen.

As I think about it the exception is an album I'm not sure about by an artist / band that I love. In which case I'll keep going back to it just in case.

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Long time since I had one of those "learn to appreciate a record" experiences. Its visceral with me. I don't have the patience to dwell on something I might initially have thought was gash.

Taken me 14 years to get to grips with "A Ghost is Born”

42 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Simulation Theory is actually the GOAT, but none of us gave it a fair shot of 3 full listens and now we're all missing out smh.

I gave it three listens the day it came out.

And then never listened to it again.

Also, I take it we're gonna have another thread for when we start posting our finalised lists? Otherwise it'll be a nightmare for anyone who tries to aggregate them not knowing what lists are final and what lists aren't.

2 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I gave it three listens the day it came out.

And then never listened to it again.

Also, I take it we're gonna have another thread for when we start posting our finalised lists? Otherwise it'll be a nightmare for anyone who tries to aggregate them not knowing what lists are final and what lists aren't.

If you're gonna fire your load in November you shouldn't be in the aggregate.

Not an album,  but the Oranj Son 5 track EP was an absolute belter and sticking the other single releases from the year to the playlist makes it feel like an album! Strange set up - I’ve seen them a few times in Liverpool and Manchester and once in Bristol; seem to have a loyal following, but the real fanbase is over in Central and South America. ‘Radio Wires’ for example, was at #2 in the Peruvian charts over the Summer.

For me, ‘Break Yr Fall’ is the standout. Phil Taggart called it “absolute perfection”. 

Soccer AM showed their rarely seen subtle side when they played ‘It Might Never Happen’ during their post World Cup semi final England failure montage.... suspect it might become a staple. 

B9C37985-EB4E-4F45-9933-FCE7775F7CAC.png

Ok, my first draft goes something like this (in no particular order, except Tranquility Base at the top) -

1. Arctic Monkeys - Tranqulity Base
  2. MGMT - Little Dark Age
  3. Chvrches - Love is Dead
  4. Interpol - Marauder
  5. TGTB&TQ - Merrie Land
  6. Pale Waves - My Mind Makes Noises
  7. Gorillaz - The Now Now
  8. Parcels - Parcels
  9. Jungle - For Ever
  10. FJM - God's Favourite Customer