6. Shame - Songs of Praise
  7. The Vaccines - Combat Sports
  8. Arctic Monkeys - TBHC
  9. Radiohead - Pablo Honey
  10. Let's Eat Grandma - I'm All Ears

Oh well played sir

3 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Imagine seriously thinking Damn was the best album of 2017

I dunno if that's aimed at me or the publications who had it at number 1 but it wasn't my aoty.

Just now, Mash011 said:

Also I never even picked Lorde as my AOTY so idk what you're on about. It was somewhere in the middle of my top 10. Sleep Well Beast and Pop2 were my favs.

Fair enough I assumed you did seeing as I remember you talking about it more than any other album.

Anyway I was saying Parquet Courts for while but I've come back around to thinking Ezra Furman's Transangelic Exodus is probably my favourite of the year. Other top ones include Hop Along, Confidence Man, Hinds, Car Seat Headrest, Idles and Young Fathers. Expecting The 1975 and .Paak to make the list too.

Melodrama was my AotY last year, and maybe it wasn't the overall favourite, but it was definitely in a little cabal which usually crops up every year except for this one.

2016 there was Beyonce, Frank Ocean, Nick Cave, Bowie. 2015 had Kendrick, Soofyan, Father John Misty, Grimes Carly Rae Jepsen. Usually there's a little number of albums that find a sizeable crowd to love them completely, I don't see it this year beyond Idles on here and maybe Pusha T on the wider internet.

FWIW I've got a lotta stiff competition for my top 10. I reckon Young Fathers comfortably sit in the top spot, but the rest of the field is a scrap by very powerful fighters like First Aid Kit, Ezra Furman, SOPHIE, Cardi B, Robyn, Car Seat Headrest, Pusha T, Haley Heyndrixcks, Trust Fund, Cupcakke, Kamasi Washington, Janelle Monae, Lykke Li, and Hookworms were right in there until recent details came to light. It's not that there's not good shit coming out, but the zeitgeist seems to have rested a bit in 2018.

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

FWIW I've got a lotta stiff competition for my top 10. I reckon Young Fathers comfortably sit in the top spot, but the rest of the field is a scrap by very powerful fighters like First Aid Kit, Ezra Furman, SOPHIE, Cardi B, Robyn, Car Seat Headrest, Pusha T, Haley Heyndrixcks, Trust Fund, Cupcakke, Kamasi Washington, Janelle Monae, Lykke Li, and Hookworms were right in there until recent details came to light. It's not that there's not good shit coming out, but the zeitgeist seems to have rested a bit in 2018.

If Cardi B isn't the zeitgeist then I duno what is

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I was about to say that young fathers are being criminally underrepresented here. Nice choices 

Just now, dentalplan said:

If Cardi B isn't the zeitgeist then I duno what is

I feel like a lot of that was to do with Bodak Yellow tho, kinda looks to me that the people who made that song massive all liked the album but it's not really turned any heads or got the talk it deserves. Could be just me reading the wrong places but there was some initial talk of "oh yeah there's some good tracks here, she's not just a one-trick poney" but then it died off a bit. Nobody here seems to talk about it that much, despite it being bonkers paper gay.

A few that spring to mind...

Gaz Coombes - World's Strongest Man

Big Red Machine - BRM

Artic Monkeys - TBH&C

Interpol - Marauder

The Shins - The Worm's Heart

Paul McCartney - Egypt Station

Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!

Alkaline Trio - Is This Thing Cursed?

Mastersystem - Mastersystem

Kurt Vile - Bottle It In

Villagers - The Art of Pretending to Swim

16 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I feel like a lot of that was to do with Bodak Yellow tho, kinda looks to me that the people who made that song massive all liked the album but it's not really turned any heads or got the talk it deserves. Could be just me reading the wrong places but there was some initial talk of "oh yeah there's some good tracks here, she's not just a one-trick poney" but then it died off a bit. Nobody here seems to talk about it that much, despite it being bonkers paper gay.

I think that's more to do with the decreasing value of 'the album' in the streaming-led world that we're in. People keep talking about her but not her album because that's been and gone.