The best trolley

Tomothy123

6 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

So, slightly different question…Trolley or Sack Truck? I’ve never bothered as I usually have to fit everything into Ryanair-friendly backpacks, but taking the car and ferry this year, so setting off from my own driveway has me considering bringing things I would normally leave behind! 

I'm the same as you mate. Flew in via. London one year and picked up a trolley in Argos. That dissolved as soon as I stepped off the feeder bus from Castle Cary. Dragging everything on a broken trolley in the heat nearly broke me.

Last time, I investing in a sack truck thinking "that'll be the job". Yeah, it didn't fall apart but it was far from an easy journey. For one, they're a pain in the hole to fit in your car. We bought ours in Bristol and didn't assemble the wheels until we got there. If you're planning the long drive from Holyhead with one of those in the back, just make sure you've enough space. But even carrying stuff in, because you're balancing the weight on the truck it's very tough on the hands and arms. When it comes to hills, they can be a nightmare too (I've also got a nightmare story trying to get it up a hill going in to All Together Now a month later)

If you go with a sack truck, my only advise would be maybe don't do what we did and go in thinking it will solve all your problems and ultimately end up overloading it.

This year I've invested in a garden cart. No idea if it's going to be better or just the same problem in a different package. Only time will tell I suppose!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

I'm the same as you mate. Flew in via. London one year and picked up a trolley in Argos. That dissolved as soon as I stepped off the feeder bus from Castle Cary. Dragging everything on a broken trolley in the heat nearly broke me.

Last time, I investing in a sack truck thinking "that'll be the job". Yeah, it didn't fall apart but it was far from an easy journey. For one, they're a pain in the hole to fit in your car. We bought ours in Bristol and didn't assemble the wheels until we got there. If you're planning the long drive from Holyhead with one of those in the back, just make sure you've enough space. But even carrying stuff in, because you're balancing the weight on the truck it's very tough on the hands and arms. When it comes to hills, they can be a nightmare too (I've also got a nightmare story trying to get it up a hill going in to All Together Now a month later)

If you go with a sack truck, my only advise would be maybe don't do what we did and go in thinking it will solve all your problems and ultimately end up overloading it.

This year I've invested in a garden cart. No idea if it's going to be better or just the same problem in a different package. Only time will tell I suppose!

Exactly this.

Which trolley did you get mate 😉

20 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

See it’s all this fresh & black talk that has me considering something a bit bigger this year and leaving my trusty Halo 300 at home! (Like most on here, I’m a sucker for a new tent!)…Never have cold cans either as I don’t bring a cooler, but would bring it if I could. And I usually pick up any old chair for camp when I get there, but could actually bring a decent one with me this time. Shouldn’t  be a massive load, but definitely too much without some sort of contraption to put them in. Thinking either trolley now after the feedback, or I stick to my tried and trusted approach and make do with warm cans and a crap chair as usual, but can at least manage it all on my back and in my hands! If a sack truck won’t fit in my boot though, then the trolley looks bulky too (I’ve a funny shaped boot as the batteries take up some of the space and I’d prefer to take more than one extra in the car)…

8 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

See it’s all this fresh & black talk that has me considering something a bit bigger this year and leaving my trusty Halo 300 at home! (Like most on here, I’m a sucker for a new tent!)…Never have cold cans either as I don’t bring a cooler, but would bring it if I could. And I usually pick up any old chair for camp when I get there, but could actually bring a decent one with me this time. Shouldn’t  be a massive load, but definitely too much without some sort of contraption to put them in. Thinking either trolley now after the feedback, or I stick to my tried and trusted approach and make do with warm cans and a crap chair as usual, but can at least manage it all on my back and in my hands! If a sack truck won’t fit in my boot though, then the trolley looks bulky too (I’ve a funny shaped boot as the batteries take up some of the space and I’d prefer to take more than one extra in the car)…

Yeah, I've spent way too much already. New tent, new cart and we've rented a roof box and bars for the car too.

A Fresh & Black is a game changer though, it'll buy you a of couple extra hours of decent sleep. Actually, one the the lads was arriving late on Thursday last time. We had brought his tent and decided to stick all our cans in it before it arrived - I kid you not, the FnB tent actually kept them cool!

To save a bit of weight I might.. might... pick up one of these instead of a full chair this year

12 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Yeah, I've spent way too much already. New tent, new cart and we've rented a roof box and bars for the car too.

A Fresh & Black is a game changer though, it'll buy you a of couple extra hours of decent sleep. Actually, one the the lads was arriving late on Thursday last time. We had brought his tent and decided to stick all our cans in it before it arrived - I kid you not, the FnB tent actually kept them cool!

To save a bit of weight I might.. might... pick up one of these instead of a full chair this year

Don’t tempt me … I suffer with a bad back so I’m tempted … but never taken a chair in …. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Don’t tempt me … I suffer with a bad back so I’m tempted … but never taken a chair in …. 

I'll just leave these here..... 👀

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002WUJC5U/ref=ox_sc_act_image_4?smid=A17CBUME33H0QH&th=1

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/multi-position-chair-brown/_/R-p-307778?mc=8572900

5 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

I’ll see what my piles look like … and decide from there as I’m taking the bus / car 

58 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

I've got a three-man Fresh & Black and used a sack trolley to cart it (+ camping bed) about for the last few years of festivals just fine! Was just a shitey wee B&M number too.

If you're not loading it up with crates and gubbins it's a decent shout I think. Although granted I've never had to walk terribly far from carpark to camp with it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheDayman said:

Think there’s a Decathlon up by Ikea, which isn’t too far from me, so might swing by and have a look…been eyeing up this one (which might be overkill for just me, but I do like a porch!😁)

https://www.decathlon.ie/4-8-man-tents-family-tents/177332-6417-camping-tent-arpenaz-41-fv-4-person-1-bedroom.html#/demodelsize-254no_size/demodelcolor-8492957?queryID=fd7de72197dd16cdd4f00d57d463e95a&objectID=2560115

36 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

Maybe someone with the skills could DIY their own one of these 

13 hours ago, zico martin said:

All depends on the wheel bearings. I wouldn’t want to put more than a couple of crates on it plus tent. 

Price is nice. 

Edited by squirrelarmy

1 minute ago, zico martin said:

Yeah I don't feel I could trust it tbh

It says it can handle 120kg but that will have been tested on dry level ground. 

The axles only seem to be 20mm steel tube with a thin wall. They’re the weak points in this design. The bearings around the axle look cheap but can’t really tell from the picture.

I can imagine the axles crumpling under heavy load as soon as it hits a deep rut.  

For those looking at bike trailers this one seems very similar to mine which has done at least 6 festivals now https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264883345389?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Ama2eEAzSAe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=j54hZXgUQJa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

and it’s on offer at quite a good price 

Edited by crazyfool1

1 hour ago, zico martin said:

Yeah I don't feel I could trust it tbh

I've used one like this for a few festivals. They are ok with a decent load but do need a second person going across hills or uneven ground to stop it toppling over. Also you need to cable tie all the clips in place or they will definitely rattle out, especially when unloaded. I lost a couple of clips the first time I used it in 2017 at Glasto but managed to pinch some replacements off of exactly the same trolley lying wrecked by the side of the path.

If you're driving I'd recommend possibly not even bothering with a trolley. 

Hauling all your stuff in one go and stop starting in the queue to get in initially makes it feel longer than it really is.

Have a good rucksack - put some light bulky stuff in it -go in, get your wristband and put your tent up. Then go back and do another run to the car. 

Multiple runs is far less backbreaking and soul destroying than trying to load up a trolley and drag it for miles. If you arrive on Wednesday it's even worth leaving some stuff and doing a run Thursday morning. Break it up a bit and the crowds at the gates are gone. 

4 hours ago, cheesey_toastie said:

If you're driving I'd recommend possibly not even bothering with a trolley. 

Hauling all your stuff in one go and stop starting in the queue to get in initially makes it feel longer than it really is.

Have a good rucksack - put some light bulky stuff in it -go in, get your wristband and put your tent up. Then go back and do another run to the car. 

Multiple runs is far less backbreaking and soul destroying than trying to load up a trolley and drag it for miles. If you arrive on Wednesday it's even worth leaving some stuff and doing a run Thursday morning. Break it up a bit and the crowds at the gates are gone. 

I did this at beautiful days and it worked great, couldn't imagine doing it at Glastonbury? its so far! It's an option though