The best trolley

Tomothy123

On 4/19/2022 at 4:20 AM, bamber said:

(Rear axle) Cycle trailers are the best. These work even in pretty heavy mud, better than any manhandled trolley.

What are your (/everyone's) thoughts on something like this (to be used without a bike at the festival!):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373604793461?epid=14052274135&hash=item56fc94bc75:g:GuUAAOSwNHxgu3gZ

Edited by compactdisc

On 4/19/2022 at 7:41 AM, squirrelarmy said:

I’m not sure what the benefit is from taking an empty trolley. If it was full of beer/tent I could understand but if you’re folding it up then anything you’re carrying to the coach still has to go in the coach. Your stuff doesn’t magically vanish if you fold the trolley up.

A folded up trolley takes up less space than a non-folded up trolley

14 hours ago, compactdisc said:

What are your (/everyone's) thoughts on something like this (to be used without a bike at the festival!):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373604793461?epid=14052274135&hash=item56fc94bc75:g:GuUAAOSwNHxgu3gZ

That's a saddle attached trailer. Nowhere near as efficient.

Axle attached is the way to go.

(Complicated physics and maths explanation available. PM me)

Edited by bamber

I took one like that to glastonbury around 2010 when it was a bit muddy.  It was the most soul destroying drag to the tipi field as the mug clogged up to the axle.  The pin in the handle also fell out, so that had to be patched up with an emergency repair.  The centre of balance is not great also then you are pulling it along.  We had to have someone at the back pushing and keeping upright.  I would not do that again.  Have also used it at other festivals and the the wheels tend to break, the metal just shears off at the axle.  You can get replacement wheels off ebay, but I would not take a trolley like that ever again. 

The best one I saw was had a solid wooden top with wooden wheels about 3 feet tall, with a simple steel tubing axle

9 minutes ago, zico martin said:

So what was the consensus on this one again?

VonHaus Garden Trolley/Cart  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HW54L10/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_SK56AB9VZQMCGC3XM65P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I think you'd be doing well to find that particular one in stock. Most of them come from China and with the cost of freight these days, it seems most are sold out.

I wouldn't worry too much about "brands" though, most of them are the coming from the same few factories. Maybe check out the reviews to judge quality. I grabbed this one a few weeks ago (still in the box - yet to put it together)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089XGF9PK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think it's worth pointing out maintenance (or the lack there of). I have the feeling the vast majority of cart owners use them once or twice a year and for the rest of it they're in a shed, garage or worse - fighting the elements in the back garden.

You have to treat them like a bike. Take some time to clean off all the shit when you get home including taking off the wheels to add some lubricant to keep the moving parts from rusting/wearing.

Same goes for pre-festival. If it hasn't been used in a year, it's going to need some maintenance to make sure it's in the best nick going.

26 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

I think you'd be doing well to find that particular one in stock. Most of them come from China and with the cost of freight these days, it seems most are sold out.

I wouldn't worry too much about "brands" though, most of them are the coming from the same few factories. Maybe check out the reviews to judge quality. I grabbed this one a few weeks ago (still in the box - yet to put it together)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089XGF9PK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Isn't that almost identical to the one I shared but double the price?

The off-roader trolley from funky leisure used the be the one. decent wheels, wide sitting load and 120kg weight take. £45/50 at the time. I've got one, just needs one of the wheels replaced I think due to puncture but I can pick them up not problem anyway. the actual frame doesn't have a dent on it.

1 hour ago, zico martin said:

Isn't that almost identical to the one I shared but double the price?

Yep, was a little cheaper when I bought it but unfortunately it looks like all the "importing from China" items have gone up in price. Anything cheaper on Amazon is usually out of stock as far as I can see

38 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Yep, was a little cheaper when I bought it but unfortunately it looks like all the "importing from China" items have gone up in price. Anything cheaper on Amazon is usually out of stock as far as I can see

This one isa fraction bigger than the one you've bought - at a good price: (they also do a bigger version still)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/the-handy-thgt-garden-trolley-small-109-x-50-x-25cm/7098d

3 hours ago, TheDayman said:

I’ve got one very similar to this but half the price, from eBay. The cage is pretty flimsy but the chassis and axel is pretty solid. It claims a 300kg carry capacity but I wouldn’t be too confident of loading it with more than 100. 

1 hour ago, David_303 said:

This one is a fraction bigger than the one you've bought - at a good price: (they also do a bigger version still)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/the-handy-thgt-garden-trolley-small-109-x-50-x-25cm/7098d

That's a great price alright, defo better than Amazon (and also better for guarantees etc.). Unfortunately for me, there's not much choice in Ireland

So, slightly different question…Trolley or Sack Truck? I’ve never bothered as I usually have to fit everything into Ryanair-friendly backpacks, but taking the car and ferry this year, so setting off from my own driveway has me considering bringing things I would normally leave behind! 

3 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

That's a great price alright, defo better than Amazon (and also better for guarantees etc.). Unfortunately for me, there's not much choice in Ireland

Ah, I hear that. 

To be fair to Amazon, they've been amazing when I've returned stuff. They even replaced a tent I told them that I negligently damaged. Amazing right?

7 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

So, slightly different question…Trolley or Sack Truck? I’ve never bothered as I usually have to fit everything into Ryanair-friendly backpacks, but taking the car and ferry this year, so setting off from my own driveway has me considering bringing things I would normally leave behind! 

We've always used a sack trolley and have always survived, though it can be hard going like. As there's 4 of us this year I'm looking for a trolley to pull with the tents and goodies 🙂

• Thanks 1