The best trolley

Tomothy123

I’ll go slightly against the majority here and say the sack trolleys are fantastic! Make sure it’s one with sturdy inflatable tyres and as long as it’s not horrifically overloaded or top heavy it will be fine. As mentioned above though, spare split pin/circlip and Swiss Army knife is a necessity.

Edited by MilkyJoe

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:05 PM, Losing my hair said:

These things go anywhere.

Handy THLC09715 300kg Mini Petrol Transporter

A bargain at £1479.

You might be onto something here.....Is there anything that says you can't bring in powered trolleys?  I am tempted to try and construct an electric version (using standard electric bike battery, old hoverboad motors and big wheels.....

• 2 years later...

I've just bought one of these, with a view to using it at Beautiful Days and when we camp at Worthy Farm in August, for carting Mini-Blutarsky about when her little legs get tired. I'm also putting a mattress in it so we have a mobile napping option. 

I'm planning on rigging a tent over it and am intending to use steel re-bar and wed a frame for durability, but wondered if anyone had any better ideas. I'd considered using tent poles but can't seem to find any joints that would do the job. Obviously if it's welded this could make it a bit more unwieldy for transporting to/from a festival. Possibly the end sections could be welded and then somehow slot onto the base and the longest struts could also slot in? 

I'm going to use oilcloth for the fabric and wanted to get striped to make it look like the JPT, or Mandela Bar, but couldn't find any. I've gone for navy with white stars. Planning for the sides to roll up so Mini-B can have shelter from rain and shade from the sun. 

Anyway, here's a mock up of the frame, any clever ideas eFests? 

image.png.3b0c9f4f4faac7bb51940e2bd9e5c098.png

I’m interested in what you work out @blutarsky as might be taking the kids next year. 

I’d have thought making the frame from rebar would be too heavy to pull around for a long day. And also that weight is up high which will make it unstable 🙁 

Pretty sure I’ve seen some designs in the past that use semi-flexible plastic pipes to form a series of hoops as a frame… Just searched and here’s an example:

F0D507BC-1036-416D-ACB6-E988BCB381D9.thumb.webp.7ffd6898c513d539dfc6565a3ada0cc9.webp

From this post: http://pottyadventures.com/tips-and-guides/taking-kids-to-music-festivals-tips-and-guides/building-a-festival-wagon/

Personally if taking a 7yo and 3yo I’m currently leaning more towards a double off road buggy than a trolley, but far from decided yet. A trolley has big advantages for hauling kit when the kids aren’t in it! 🙂

7 minutes ago, jimmillen said:

I’m interested in what you work out @blutarsky as might be taking the kids next year. 

I’d have thought making the frame from rebar would be too heavy to pull around for a long day. And also that weight is up high which will make it unstable 🙁 

Pretty sure I’ve seen some designs in the past that use semi-flexible plastic pipes to form a series of hoops as a frame… Just searched and here’s an example:

F0D507BC-1036-416D-ACB6-E988BCB381D9.thumb.webp.7ffd6898c513d539dfc6565a3ada0cc9.webp

From this post: http://pottyadventures.com/tips-and-guides/taking-kids-to-music-festivals-tips-and-guides/building-a-festival-wagon/

Personally if taking a 7yo and 3yo I’m currently leaning more towards a double off road buggy than a trolley, but far from decided yet. A trolley has big advantages for hauling kit when the kids aren’t in it! 🙂

Good points RE: weight and stability. Maybe using aluminium box section is a better idea than re-bar. 

This design looks good. Big negative with it for me would be that it would make it harder to use as a bench for me and Mrs Blutarsky to sit on as well. 

9 hours ago, jimmillen said:

Did exactly this when we took a trolley for jnr in 2019. Just had 2 hoops of  flexi pipe (one at each end) and then ran a non flexible pipe between the two at the top to form a kind of ridge pole. The canopy was some nylon material I bought of ebay and just stitched in some elasticated rope stuff at each end. Worked well, put stuff in it during the day when jnr was walking about and then later in the evening he would get in with his ear defenders on, I'd pull the elastic ends to close it all up and he went to sleep no issues.

trolley detail.jpg

Edited by DarrenVonBoathook

The other thing I would do is change the standard wheels and tyres for the solid 'puncture' proof trolley versions you can get on ebay/amazon/etc. They aren't much heavier and do take a lot more abuse than the inner tube versions than the trolleys come with.

A slight caveat is that a pair I bought for a sack truck had pretty poor quality wheels which warped pretty quickly, so I put the new puncture proof tyres onto the original wheels and the problem was solved. Assuming I have to take a trolley the next Glastonbury I go to, I'll put the puncture proof tyres on it.

trolley wheels.jpg

Edited by DarrenVonBoathook

19 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I've just bought one of these, with a view to using it at Beautiful Days and when we camp at Worthy Farm in August, for carting Mini-Blutarsky about when her little legs get tired. I'm also putting a mattress in it so we have a mobile napping option. 

I'm planning on rigging a tent over it and am intending to use steel re-bar and wed a frame for durability, but wondered if anyone had any better ideas. I'd considered using tent poles but can't seem to find any joints that would do the job. Obviously if it's welded this could make it a bit more unwieldy for transporting to/from a festival. Possibly the end sections could be welded and then somehow slot onto the base and the longest struts could also slot in? 

I'm going to use oilcloth for the fabric and wanted to get striped to make it look like the JPT, or Mandela Bar, but couldn't find any. I've gone for navy with white stars. Planning for the sides to roll up so Mini-B can have shelter from rain and shade from the sun. 

You probably could make your frame style, but in the plastic tubing that was mentioned by jimmillen, and then also use the wheels as suggested by DarrenVonBoathook. You want / need it to be as lightweight and rugged as possible.

7 hours ago, DarrenVonBoathook said:

The other thing I would do is change the standard wheels and tyres for the solid 'puncture' proof trolley versions you can get on ebay/amazon/etc. They aren't much heavier and do take a lot more abuse than the inner tube versions than the trolleys come with.

A slight caveat is that a pair I bought for a sack truck had pretty poor quality wheels which warped pretty quickly, so I put the new puncture proof tyres onto the original wheels and the problem was solved. Assuming I have to take a trolley the next Glastonbury I go to, I'll put the puncture proof tyres on it.

trolley wheels.jpg

You’re a gold mine of top tips DVB! 

About to order, but before I do, I couldn’t find those ones from your picture. Was it less than £37 for a set of 4 by any chance? 

44 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

You’re a gold mine of top tips DVB! 

About to order, but before I do, I couldn’t find those ones from your picture. Was it less than £37 for a set of 4 by any chance? 

You could look into honeycomb solid tyres eg like the one below;

These would provide the toughness, but would reduce the bumpy ride for your child. You would have to look into the sizes, hole apertures etc. Not sure about postage costs but these can be bought from China directly for £5.48 each. Not sure about the transit time either. 

33 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

These would provide the toughness, but would reduce the bumpy ride for your child. You would have to look into the sizes, hole apertures etc. Not sure about postage costs but these can be bought from China directly for £5.48 each. Not sure about the transit time either. 

Thanks Yog - more good advice. 

On 11/5/2018 at 12:46 PM, shuttlep said:

Trolleys are for girls

sorry that is sexist, 

trolleys are for people who have vagina's 

(not sure i understand sexism)

in all seriousness,  I had the wagon type trolley last year and it fell apart on the way out of the festival. you can get different brands that all look similar so do a load of research on the brand. i had a great one 2016 and it got stolen , 

Bring trolley in, leave at lockups for security.😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, blutarsky said:

I'd be wary of the height-to-width ratio. We've got a similar trolley and once stacked up it's one of us as the donkey and the other as the stabaliser. Traversing a slope or a bumpy track and you might be tipping over.

6 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

I'd be wary of the height-to-width ratio. We've got a similar trolley and once stacked up it's one of us as the donkey and the other as the stabaliser. Traversing a slope or a bumpy track and you might be tipping over.

Not planning on putting much in it - a few beers, some snacks and a child will be fully loaded! 

13 hours ago, blutarsky said:

Yes, but only by 1p!

Those tyres that Yog has posted about look interesting, be worth considering those as well if you can find the specs. Make sure they fit onto the trolley wheels (as it looks like they are the tyre only rather than the wheel & tyre unit that the solid ones come as).

On 7/13/2021 at 8:51 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

What would these be like in mud - any chance of them filling up with mud?

• 7 months later...

OK, resurrecting this thread - decided I will invest in a trolley for this year. As things have worked out I won't be taking the kids, but I can't pack light for toffee, so a trolley for my gear - especially the coolbox of booze - seems the way forward. 🙂

Question is: which one? 

I defo want to go for a 4-wheel pull-along garden trolley style. But there are loads out there... Should I just go with any random one that seems to be a good price? Or are there any real differences in terms of durability, strength etc...?

Would welcome any recommendations, esp from people who've bought one recently.