*****Paul McCartney*****

mike99

50 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

McCartney in 04 was as big as a 'get' at the time as the Stones was in '13. He obviously plays far more live now and appears at more festivals, but back in 2004 that was a huge booking. and he was brilliant (occasional awkward banter aside), just a memorable set. 15 yrs would have been the perfect time gap between Glasto sets. 

didn't watch the stones either saw Public Enemy 

Saw Macca's ledgendary set on the pyramid in '04. Been to quite some gigs in my time and that was in my top 10 ever, possibly even top five. He even played Helter Skelter for the first time ever, superb tune and a prelude to Punk.

About 7 years ago (yes, I know I've posted this before) during the festival build I was chatting to ME with my daughter in the site crew field and ME said that he was so glad that Macca played when he did as his voice is now shot. That was after an awful big public short set for The Olympics? or maybe some charity do? Can't remember.

Since then Macca has proved tht he can still come up with the goods. Gutted that he's not playing this year but also almost relieved as I can't imagine how he could match '04.

Fingers crossed for 50th anniversary. Few people or bands deserve a headline slot as much as him.

>ducks<

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer

5 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

About 7 years ago (yes, I know I've posted this before) during the festival build I was chatting to ME with my daughter in the site crew field and ME said that he was so glad that Macca played when he did as his voice is now shot. That was after an awful big public short set for The Olympics? or maybe some charity do? Can't remember.

Yes it was the Olympic Opening Ceremony. I was there - even I had to leave before the end of Hey Jude it was so painful to listen to. You build must have been 2013 then

5 hours ago, Mackem said:

Yes it was the Olympic Opening Ceremony. I was there - even I had to leave before the end of Hey Jude it was so painful to listen to. You build must have been 2013 then

I believe someone said it was partly to do with monitors and all sorts not working/not being able to hear himself. Might be wrong on that but lots of people seem to say he’s ok at his gigs 

Maybe it's just me but imo there's something about gigs that makes me less capable of critical evaluation of vocals. Maybe it's the alcohol. But I don't think so. I've lost count of the number of times I've been at a gig, thought the vocals were on point then heard a recording afterwards only to find they were out of tune half the time. I went to see Macca's film last night (Bruce McMouse) and was pondering this watching Linda. There were recordings of her isolated vocals that were used to ridicule her back in the day. Yet in the cinema she sounded (to me) in tune. Apart from the Opening Ceremony I've thought his voice has sounded OK at gigs but I think his latest album shows there's been a big deterioration in the quality of his voice - even when he's in tune. He had such a sweet voice - and a really great harsh rock n roll screaming voice - but now it just sounds old and tired. Which I suspect he is. 

14 minutes ago, Mackem said:

Maybe it's just me but imo there's something about gigs that makes me less capable of critical evaluation of vocals. Maybe it's the alcohol. But I don't think so.

I think this happens a lot, there's been a number of times when stuff has sounded poor on the TV but people at the actual gig thought it was great.

Even the Stones Glastonbury set got a lot of stick from people watching on their sofas but being there, it sounded amazing.

16 minutes ago, Mackem said:

Maybe it's just me but imo there's something about gigs that makes me less capable of critical evaluation of vocals. Maybe it's the alcohol. But I don't think so. I've lost count of the number of times I've been at a gig, thought the vocals were on point then heard a recording afterwards only to find they were out of tune half the time. I went to see Macca's film last night (Bruce McMouse) and was pondering this watching Linda. There were recordings of her isolated vocals that were used to ridicule her back in the day. Yet in the cinema she sounded (to me) in tune. Apart from the Opening Ceremony I've thought his voice has sounded OK at gigs but I think his latest album shows there's been a big deterioration in the quality of his voice - even when he's in tune. He had such a sweet voice - and a really great harsh rock n roll screaming voice - but now it just sounds old and tired. Which I suspect he is. 

His voice has lost a bit of power which is normal for a 76 year old man. You can even hear it when he speaks. 

The Linda thing was lead more by misogyny and jealousy rather than a real critical evaluation. Just like a lot of the Yoko stuff was based in misogyny, jealousy and racism. 

• Upvote 1

Isolated vocals or whatever does my fucking nuts in (when it's used to take the piss out of an artist), usually when the vocals are combined with the music they can take on a different quality and sound much better. 

Linda wasn't a great singer but her voice worked and (generally) sounded fine on the music she made, who gives a toss apart from that.

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

His voice has lost a bit of power which is normal for a 76 year old man. You can even hear it when he speaks. 

Some seem to be more immune than others though. Robert Plant for one. He can't hit the high notes like he used to (in fact he's rewritten the few Led Zep numbers he still does to keep them within his range) but he still has a good, controlled singing (and speaking) voice. Maybe he took more care of it - Macca did a lot of screaming in the 60s in venues where he couldn't hear himself

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The Linda thing was lead more by misogyny and jealousy rather than a real critical evaluation. Just like a lot of the Yoko stuff was based in misogyny, jealousy and racism. 

Agree with that. Linda seemed to be rehabilitated as she got older and became less of a threat to those who thought he should never have married, let alone to an American divorcee. Yoko's problem is she never died so is still a threat ?

Edited by Mackem

18 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Please tell me you hated Bowie's coat and so walked off to go and see Toploader.

I didn't see Bowie

to be honest I am not sure where I was...... it's Glastonbury I could have been sat in a bush eating cake Jonny Cash style

• 2 months later...
Just now, eFestivals said:

it seems pretty clear from that they've been talking to macca (or his people).

So I'm wondering again if he was in the frame for this year until something changed, and the info I had was right (at the time).

Yeah. I'd guess there was plenty of discussion over the touring schedule / USA dates, whether Macca will be active next year, the big 50 etc. It seems like there was a possibility of this year happening but all parties have settled on next?!