*****Paul McCartney*****

mike99

15 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I am wondering how many of the people who Really want Macca to play were there when he played in 04?

Me for one. Best thing about it - about any Macca performance - was youngsters who'd seen him for the first time coming away raving about his set and feeling they'd seen the Beatles live. Because e's got the best back catalogue of songs of anyone on earth. And voice or no voice the overall band is better musically than the fab four ever were live. The rest of the guys manage to cover up for his vocal shortcomings and they're proper proper musicians. I'm a big Macca fan - I've probably seen him 15-20 teams over the years - and I'm disappointed he's not playing. But I'm not heartbroken because at the end of the day it's Glasto and it's I don't think I'm alone in thinking that t's rarely the headline sets that make the festival. Even if he'd played I suspect there'd have been something on the Park or lunchtime on Other or at Williams Green that'll be thing that will bring me most joy this year.

12 minutes ago, Mackem said:

Me for one. Best thing about it - about any Macca performance - was youngsters who'd seen him for the first time coming away raving about his set and feeling they'd seen the Beatles live. Because e's got the best back catalogue of songs of anyone on earth. And voice or no voice the overall band is better musically than the fab four ever were live. The rest of the guys manage to cover up for his vocal shortcomings and they're proper proper musicians. I'm a big Macca fan - I've probably seen him 15-20 teams over the years - and I'm disappointed he's not playing. But I'm not heartbroken because at the end of the day it's Glasto and it's I don't think I'm alone in thinking that t's rarely the headline sets that make the festival. Even if he'd played I suspect there'd have been something on the Park or lunchtime on Other or at Williams Green that'll be thing that will bring me most joy this year.

you can't argue with the back catalogue , I think i was so excited to see him in 04 I left after a few songs as he was just grinding on me. I realised after that it is him I can't stand. would rather watch Ringo

16 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

you can't argue with the back catalogue , I think i was so excited to see him in 04 I left after a few songs as he was just grinding on me. I realised after that it is him I can't stand. would rather watch Ringo

Not sure you would. Ringo beats even Macca in the irritation stakes. I've seen him twice (his last two sets in the UK I think) separated by about 12 years. He too surrounds himself with good musicians (Jack Bruce, Gary Brooker and Peter Frampton in '98 and Gary Wright, Rick Derringer and Edgar Winter in 2011) in a necessary attempt to cover up his vocal inadequacies. But he doesn't have the back catalogue (other than the dregs at the bottom of the Beatles' barrel) so for me his irritating personality is more on obvious show and less easy to ignore   

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Not enjoying Macca 2004 is a bit mad.

he just grates on me , I left half way through , just couldn't stand it any more. Music was good just listening to his ramblings i couldn't  do with. Maybe I wasn't in a good place I was cold and wet . 

1 minute ago, danbailey80 said:

Speaking of Macca in 2004...

Can anyone remember who the House DJ was that played for 20 minutes before his set? 

Having a google it seems he had a chap called Roy Kerr who did pre-show sets around that time. I thought it was someone bigger though like Danny Tenaglia.

Freelance Hellraiser is what he went by, but I believe that's Roy Kerr as well 

McCartney in 04 was as big as a 'get' at the time as the Stones was in '13. He obviously plays far more live now and appears at more festivals, but back in 2004 that was a huge booking. and he was brilliant (occasional awkward banter aside), just a memorable set. 15 yrs would have been the perfect time gap between Glasto sets. 

3 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

McCartney in 04 was as big as a 'get' at the time as the Stones was in '13. He obviously plays far more live now and appears at more festivals, but back in 2004 that was a huge booking. and he was brilliant (occasional awkward banter aside), just a memorable set. 15 yrs would have been the perfect time gap between Glasto sets. 

He was still only getting back on the road in 04. Hadn't toured in 10 years up to 2002 ish. Some of the bantz was shite yeah but still a great gig. Saw him in 2003 and he was better at Glasto in 04, better again when I saw him in 09 and better again last time I saw him in 2016. Voice a bit weaker granted. He has nearly played as many gigs from Glasto 04 to now as he did from the time the Beatles broke up to Glasto. 

If hes not on for 2020 someone has dropped a bollock. Considering he already said he would do it if asked!