*****Paul McCartney*****

mike99

4 hours ago, blackdog said:

The Who now

Saw them a few years back in Birmingham and they were bloody great - they seemed to be enjoying themselves, Roger's voice was still great, they had a bit of banter with the audience, yeah, why not?  

Tbh I don't know who I'm trying to kid because I increasingly am quite relieved when a headliner act is not a must see so that I don't have to worry about getting a good spot, where to aim for, what time to get there etc etc.  I genuinely can't think who I would want to be announced.  Stormzy I won't be seeing, Cure (if they are there) are a "hmm, would like but not unmissable".  So maybe a "wow" would be nice.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Saw them a few years back in Birmingham and they were bloody great - they seemed to be enjoying themselves, Roger's voice was still great, they had a bit of banter with the audience, yeah, why not?  

Tbh I don't know who I'm trying to kid because I increasingly am quite relieved when a headliner act is not a must see so that I don't have to worry about getting a good spot, where to aim for, what time to get there etc etc.  I genuinely can't think who I would want to be announced.  Stormzy I won't be seeing, Cure (if they are there) are a "hmm, would like but not unmissable".  So maybe a "wow" would be nice.  

I also saw the Birmingham gig a couple of years ago where they finished with Relay, which as far as I know the only time they played it on that tour!

Like many others I am more disappointed than I thought I would be.  Let the speculation start again. Stormzy isnt for me , the cure I would go and see but not over excited. Hope something really big for the third headliner. Having said that over the years I seen 2 headliners only once and that was Radiohead and the Foos last time. So much on elsewhere. 

Edited by Ayrshire Chris

Shattered with this week’s news. Devastated.

While confident that he’d be there, I was a bit worried when the Christmas announcement was for Kylie and not Macca, especially at the end of his December UK jaunt. I’d been more or less telling – ‘boasting’ perhaps a more accurate word, really – to others that I was likely seeing him at Glastonbury next summer, even pouring it on at the start of the new year to a few friends in commenting on how bad the first few US festival lineups looked, when at least Glastonbury seemed to have managed to have gotten the likes of McCartney. Given such smug arrogance, I received a well-deserved group text this week directed to my wife from the wife of a friend who's joining me for his first Glastonbury,  con the day I shared the sad news about Macca…

“Lisa – why don’t we go to Vegas for the weekend while the boys are at Glastonbury! I hear Paul McCartney might be playing and we can send pics to the guys while they’re camping and ask them who they’re watching!”

The missus is very patient with and understanding of my Glastonbury habit (she’s joined me once - 2004) of spending family funds (and limited US leave time) on flying over from the US, while she works and deals with the 2 kids by herself. This year, I’m taking a first-timer along with me from over here. His wife, who is from San Diego, had always been warning us over the last month during our usual drink gatherings - as we would alternate between playing the ‘Egypt Station’ album, or going into some ‘Tug of War’ and then some Wings or his first solo effort, before doing the inevitable Beatles stuff - “I don’t know about McCartney…he’s playing Petco Park June 22, are you sure he’ll make it over in time for you guys??”. I assured her that I - and the famed E-Fests users online - were well aware of those US dates even up to the 26th, and we were monitoring closely, but we felt strongly that we were in the clear. My missus and my mate’s wife had been talking about doing a separate ladies’ trip while we’re at Glastonbury (since we excluded them) and so now they’re teasing us that they’re doing Vegas. 

• Upvote 1

Ouch mate. Yeah that is a bummer ?. And let’s face it, there is no one that’s going to replace Macca - he’s a legend. So instead try and focus on the fact that you’ve got tickets. There’s thousands who’d swap that position with you. Your wife and friend might go to Vegas, but there’s no way in this world they’ll have a better time than you. Vegas is alright (as I’m sure you have experienced) but it’s not even a tiny patch on Glastonbury, not even close (even accounting for possible rain).

I suppose the lesson learnt here is that the only people who know who are headlining are the Eavii and their close knit team (and there’s no such thing as nailed on).

Hope this helps (probably not).