*****Paul McCartney*****

mike99

4 hours ago, Woffy said:

This is wonderful Stu. Excellent work. 

This is why I always carry a book at all times. I always feel you look less of a loner reading a book in a pub - almost as if it conveys a conscious decision to be having a few beers alone - than if you’re just looking at your phone. 

The Philip Norman book very clearly shows him as incredibly ambitious and determined, controlling even - compared to John who was arguably quite lazy when not compelled to be doing something - and on occasion quite ruthless at times (Epstein ‘clearing up’ more than one paternity claim in Hamburg for example).

I doubt you get to be that successful without being a little bit like that.

But it doesn’t mean you can’t also be genuinely nice too. He probably took more interest in a young Julian than John did. And adopted one of Linda’s kids IIRC.

This is what also personally fascinates me about the Beatles. They’re ‘just a band’ but we can ‘study’ them - and disagree about them - to the same historical, intellectual degree you would, say, a famous dictator or a country or a significant battle in antiquity.

The story is as incredible as the music. 

I was thinking of having a bit of a read up on tbe history. Know bits and bobs - any suggestions from anyone on tbe best book? 

8 minutes ago, PorkSoda said:

I was thinking of having a bit of a read up on tbe history. Know bits and bobs - any suggestions from anyone on tbe best book? 

Christ. Where to start?!

Thats a really tough question (for me). 

There’s SO many. 

What kinda thing interests you most?

- a particular era: their youth, Hamburg, Sgt Pepper, etc

- the actual recording processes?

- straight up biogs?

- stuff written at the time, to get that in the moment sense?

There will be people here who can probably do you a decent list. 

12 hours ago, henry bear said:

Best one I’ve read is Ian MacDonald’s ‘Revolution In The Head’. Essential reading.

Its incredible but a good bit of fake news in there though unfortunately according to Macca.

Aside from those already mentioned:

Many Years From Now by Barry Miles.

Magical Mystery Tours My Life with the Beatles by Tony Bramwell 

John by Cynthia Lennon

Revolution: The Making of The Beatles White Album  by David Quantick.

Edited by The Nal

And if you're interested in the making of the mythos of the band, you've got to include the Hunter Davies book, originally from 1968 (but updated several times since) - The Beatles: The Authorised Biography .  

Whilst not the best biography, it's such an early writeup of the band, it's fed into pretty much every book on them since.

21 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Ah bollocks, been called on my bullshit.  Turns out "complicated" = "not very well thought through".  It goes something like this:

• 1 John is equivalent to 1 Paul.
  • 1 George is equivalent to 0.5 John or Paul equivalents (JPEs)
  • 1 Ringo is equivalent to 0.5 George, so Ringo = 0.25 JPEs
  • So we get 1 + 1 +0.5 +0.25 = 2.75 JPEs in the band.
  • Then you divide 1 by 2.75 to get the decimal contribution of Paul McCartney (and John Lennon) at .36 recurring, which turns out is pretty close to 1/3, but that was a guess.
  • Ringo is .09 recurring.
  • George is .1818 recurring.
  • I'm sure there is a nicer fractional way of expressing these values.
  • Pablo Honey

I would have to give George a higher mark as in my opinion he was the only one who went on to do something good after the Beatles (Thomas the Tank Engine being the exception to the rule)

I don't really like McCartney's stuff after the Beatles,  but there wont be many chances to see a living Beatle remaining.  so fingers crossed for a Glastonbury performance.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, PorkSoda said:

Wow, thanks all for the responses. Think I'll start with revolution in the head and see where that takes me. Do I dare ask about documentaries? 

The Anthology. 

And this is quite dated but the Compleat Beatles is excellent

10 minutes ago, RaphPH said:

Fascinating how many people love Revolution In The Head despite McCartney saying it's nonsense....

He really only said some of the assumptions about songs he wrote in response to Lennon songs etc were nonsense but stopped short of going any further because McDonald was dead. 

Casts huge doubts over the rest of the book though.

2 minutes ago, The Nal said:

The Anthology. 

And this is quite dated but the Compleat Beatles is excellent

He really only said some of the assumptions about songs he wrote in response to Lennon songs etc were nonsense but stopped short of going any further because McDonald was dead. 

Casts huge doubts over the rest of the book though.

Yeah I remember him getting a bit annoyed about it...   

55 minutes ago, PorkSoda said:

Wow, thanks all for the responses. Think I'll start with revolution in the head and see where that takes me. Do I dare ask about documentaries? 

Ron Howard’s documentary on their touring years, The Beatles: Eight Days A Week is on C4 on Christmas Day. 

The Beatles own Anthology DVD box set is possibly the best thing to watch though.