*****Paul McCartney*****

mike99

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Listened to the White Album so much as a kid with my parents but haven't listened to it for years. Might have to redress that balance this afternoon.

As for best....between Rubber Soul, White Album and Abbey Road. Although Abbey Road does have Maxwell's Silver Hammer on it....

In all fairness Rubber Soul ends with Run For Your Life, which is lyrically questionable, and I'm being generous there.

• Upvote 1

Revolver and Abbey Road swap over quite a lot for the top spot for me, Revolver being the cooler album but side B of Road is a McCartney masterclass. 

Can't believe anyone thinks Rubber Soul is better than Revolver. There's some amazing tunes on there but it definitely sounds and feels like a run up to Revolver to me. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, priest17 said:

Revolver and Abbey Road swap over quite a lot for the top spot for me, Revolver being the cooler album but side B of Road is a McCartney masterclass. 

Can't believe anyone thinks Rubber Soul is better than Revolver. There's some amazing tunes on there but it definitely sounds and feels like a run up to Revolver to me. 

I know exactly what you mean, I always think of the two albums as a pair, with Revolver being the record where things really kick up a gear.

Not a huge fan of the White Album tbh, I think it's up. There with one of the most overrated albums of all time tbh. Much in the same as I think Captain Beef hearts worst album is Trout Mask it's an album that seems to not quite live up to its legacy for me. 

It's, of course not a bad album and if you took all the crap out and made it a single disk album I'd probably like it a lot better but there's a lot of below par songs on that album that knock it right down imo. 

If it went:

Revolution (1)

Dear Prudence

Whilst My Guitar Gently Weaps

Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Back In The USSR

Blackbird

Julia

Don't Pass Me By

Bungalow Bill

Rocky Racoon

I Will

Martha My Dear

I'm So Tired

Cry Baby Cry

Helter Skelter

Then that would be a fifteen track masterpiece, everything else on there just drags it down and some of the songs I've omitted are alright, just also not anything great. I'll have a sing along to Obladi oblada but let's be real, it's not a great song. 

38 minutes ago, chatty said:

Not a huge fan of the White Album tbh, I think it's up. There with one of the most overrated albums of all time tbh. Much in the same as I think Captain Beef hearts worst album is Trout Mask it's an album that seems to not quite live up to its legacy for me. 

I

I mean What!! Just What!!

Sorry, can't get my head around that statement, I'm going to lie down.

Abbey Road has always managed to maintain top spot for me, only rivalled by Revolver which comes a very, very close second. When I start to doubt it I remember how incredible side 2 of Abbey Road is which forgives Maxwell and Octopus which both have their place depending on your mood.

Revolver for consistency and eclecticism is the most rounded LP and it's creativity just bursts through on every track. 

1. Abbey Road

2. Revolver 

3. Rubber Soul

4. Sgt Pepper (Especially if you lump in Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane)

5. Hard Days Night 

6. White Album (too much flab. Cut it down and it would be top 3)

7. Help

8. Everything else. 

Edited by Harmonic Prospector

3 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

Abbey Road has always managed to maintain top spot for me, only rivalled by Revolver which comes a very, very close second. When I start to doubt it I remember how incredible side 2 of Abbey Road is which forgives Maxwell and Octopus which both have their place depending on your mood.

Revolver for consistency and eclecticism is the most rounded LP and it's creativity just bursts through on every track. 

1. Abbey Road

2. Revolver 

3. Rubber Soul

5. Hard Days Night 

7. Help

8. Everything else. 

9. Pablo Honey

FTFY 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

I mean What!! Just What!!

Sorry, can't get my head around that statement, I'm going to lie down.

Don't get me wrong, I love Beefheart, can listen to Safe As Milk, Clear Spot, Lick My Decals, Spotlight Kid all day but I find Trout Mask is overly chaotic and though purposefully done its just a messy album for the most part, pretentious even. There's some excellent tracks on there but for the most part it's psychedelia for the sake of being psychedelia and I don't think it brings much to the majority of the album. 

Each to their own of course, its music and its subjective. Trout Mask is clearly his most defining album but personally I'd have Safe As Milk as a far, far better album. 

1 hour ago, chatty said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Beefheart, can listen to Safe As Milk, Clear Spot, Lick My Decals, Spotlight Kid all day but I find Trout Mask is overly chaotic and though purposefully done its just a messy album for the most part, pretentious even. There's some excellent tracks on there but for the most part it's psychedelia for the sake of being psychedelia and I don't think it brings much to the majority of the album. 

Each to their own of course, its music and its subjective. Trout Mask is clearly his most defining album but personally I'd have Safe As Milk as a far, far better album. 

I get where you're coming from and the others you quoted are all fine albums, I too have a love for Safe as Milk as that was the first Beefheart I heard, but to claim that TMR is worse than Bluejeans & Moonbeams or even Strictly Personal is just wrong.

My love of TMR is maybe coloured by having listened to it in the early 70s whilst stoned to fuck. It's the best way to listen to it.

I bloody love The Beatles. I have had several bootleg tapes of those Esher demos for years. They are great in my opinion. A really interesting insight into the band. The White album is my joint 2nd favourite of theirs with Rubber Soul. With Revolver being my number 1.

6 hours ago, Harmonic Prospector said:

1. Abbey Road

2. Revolver 

3. Rubber Soul

5. Hard Days Night 

7. Help

8. Everything else. 

Not only my favourite Beatles album, but one of my all-time favourites.

54 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

I get where you're coming from and the others you quoted are all fine albums, I too have a love for Safe as Milk as that was the first Beefheart I heard, but to claim that TMR is worse than Bluejeans & Moonbeams or even Strictly Personal is just wrong.

My love of TMR is maybe coloured by having listened to it in the early 70s whilst stoned to fuck. It's the best way to listen to it.

Yeah maybes a slight exaggeration, I've never really gave Bluejeans or Stricktly Personal a lot of listening time tbf. I guess my point was that there's a fair few Beefheart records I see as superior to TMR but that one get way more Kudos than the rest due to it being the more famous album. 

No doubt being stoned to fuck helps a lot in that regard. I used to listen to Locust Abortian Technician when I was younger and used to get stoned all the time but wouldn't listen to it much these days.