*****Paul McCartney*****

mike99

39 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

The best Christmas song is Bing and Bowie, and I'll fight anyone who disagrees.

Mainly because of the little chat they have at the start of the video where Bing clearly has no idea who David Bowie is.

The best Christmas song is Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by Darlene Love, for two reasons;

1. It’s just the right level of “Christmas” without being sickening.

2. It’s two and a half minutes of pop perfection in its own right, even if it didn’t have Christmas lyrics. 

I will fight anyone IRL who disagrees. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

The best Christmas song is Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by Darlene Love, for two reasons;

2. It’s two and a half minutes of pop perfection in its own right, even if it didn’t have Christmas lyrics. 

He certainly knew how to produce a timeless Christmas banger, the murderous old freak

5 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Right... Thursday 3pm in front of the Pyramid...

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have always maintained that The Pogues should be on trial at The Hague for unleashing Fairytale of New York upon the world.

I'm not having it - you're completely wrong!  In the middle of all the merry dross that's unleashed on the world every December, an utterly sublime masterpiece has sneaked onto the neverending Christmas playlist.  It's simply wonderful and has been done a grave misservice by being added to the shopping soundtrack.  Let's compare:

The party's on, the feeling's here
That only comes this time of year
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
Simply having a wonderful christmas time
Love choir of children sing their song
Ding dong, ding dong, ding dong, ding
Oo-oo-oo-oo
Oo-oo-oo-oo-oo
Doo-doo, doo-doo, doo, doo

I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
You took my dreams from me
When I first found you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can't make it all alone
I've built my dreams around you

Christmas time
Just let me leave please
Christmas time (Come on kids!)
Don't let the bells end (bells ring!)
Christmas time (ahhhh!)
Don't let the bells end

One of these songs is not like the others

I strongly advise everyone to play that record now before the repetition of the coming season stops you from hearing it properly.  Set aside 4:32 of time when you have nothing else to do except listen to it, free of the context of twinkling lights and cash registers.  It's a bloody brilliant song, from the vocal performances, to the string arrangements and the lyrics.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not having it - tou're completely wrong!  In the middle of all the merry dross that's unleashed on the world every December, an utterly sublime masterpiece has sneaked onto the neverending Christmas playlist.  It's simply wonderful and has been done a grave misservice by being added to the shopping soundtrack.  Let's compare:

I strongly advise everyone to play that record now before the repetition of the coming season stops you from hearing it properly.  Set aside 4:32 of time when you have nothing else to do except listen to it, free of the context of twinkling lights and cash registers.  It's a bloody brilliant song, from the vocal performances, to the string arrangements and the lyrics.

I'm sorry Mr Hats, as much as I respect you and your views I can't agree. I have an almost pathological loathing of that song, almost to the point where I don't even know why I hate it so much now...

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm sorry Mr Hats, as much as I respect you and your views I can't agree. I have an almost pathological loathing of that song, almost to the point where I don't even know why I hate it so much now...

I've never worked in retail over the Christmas season, have you?  I think it would be pretty hard to recover from that!

Nat 'King' Cole - The Christmas Song. End of discussion.

And for the final drive home from work I will have Chris Rea's Driving Home For Christmas, Perry Como's rendition of (No Place Like Home) For The Holidays, and Saviour's Day by St Cliff of Richard on a 3 song loop.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Right... Thursday 3pm in front of the Pyramid...

I am now 100% in love with the image of a pitched Gangs of New York-style battle in front of the big pointy bastard in the middle of summer over a list ordering our favourite Christmas songs.  Would be the perfect way to capture the essence of this place.

EDIT - would only be improved by jj200 making himself known and throwing indie landfill bands into the discussion because the once did a cover of Jingle Bells on Live Lounge

Edited by Quark

1 hour ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Correct.

Low’s Just Like Christmas is also a good one.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've never worked in retail over the Christmas season, have you?  I think it would be pretty hard to recover from that!

I have. I still love all of the songs.

I have something of a love for the festive season that borders on the pathological.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Nat 'King' Cole - The Christmas Song. End of discussion.

And for the final drive home from work I will have Chris Rea's Driving Home For Christmas, Perry Como's rendition of (No Place Like Home) For The Holidays, and Saviour's Day by St Cliff of Richard on a 3 song loop.

I am now 100% in love with the image of a pitched Gangs of New York-style battle in front of the big pointy bastard in the middle of summer over a list ordering our favourite Christmas songs.  Would be the perfect way to capture the essence of this place.

I’m a big fan of Saviour’s Day. An oft- overlooked classic in Cliff’s Christmas cannon.

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

I have. I still love all of the songs.

I have something of a love for the festive season that borders on the pathological.

You have notoriously low standards ;)

Seriously, I see the wide range of music you enjoy on the new music thread, and I'm kinda jealous :)  I can't decide if you're totally undiscerning, or have a secret to enjoying life I need to learn!

Edited by stuartbert two hats

30 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not having it - you're completely wrong!  In the middle of all the merry dross that's unleashed on the world every December, an utterly sublime masterpiece has sneaked onto the neverending Christmas playlist.  It's simply wonderful and has been done a grave misservice by being added to the shopping soundtrack.  Let's compare:

Strongly agree with this...I'm with you on this one SB

Least favourite Christmas song  - A Spaceman Came Travelling.

Edited by Pear_Cider

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

You have notoriously low standards ;)

Seriously, I see the wide range of music you enjoy on the new music thread, and I'm kinda jealous :)

What can I say, I look for the happy. I may have been described by one of my more miserable colleagues at work as a happy chucklehead.

By the same token I should point out there's very little that I definitively LOVE in that respect :)

23 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not the quality of the song that's in question, it's simply a case of it having come up against the iron law of physics : familiarity breeds contempt 

12 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Ive worked in retail at XMas and I fucking hate Christmas now and everyone involved. From that sleazy paedo who breaks into peoples houses on his shit animals right through to that sanctimonious cross dressing windbag the lads nailed up on a stick. Cowards.

And in the country of my wife's origin, the one and only Zwarte Piet.