In the loop?

glastolover19

I'm sure this topic has been covered before but just wondering peoples views on drug testing at gf? 
Should they introduce it?
Would it reduce harm from drugs?
Would it encourage/discourage usage?

I will stress in no way do I condemn or condone drug taking however I believe that as an adult you are free to make those choices yourself

100% should be there.

Saw it for the first time at Boomtown this year. It was invariably rammed whenever I walked past - you can decide for yourself how you feel about that. For me, it can only be as good thing. In addition to the perma-queue, there was also never fewer than 30-40 people crammed in front of the huge drug interactions poster outside the main Loop tent - again, more information can only be a good thing.

Little Boomtown Loop story for you:

So, one of my campmates found a small packet of slightly crystalline powder on the floor on the Thursday afternoon. Their real world job is as a pharmacist (a proper one, not a 'weekend pharmacist', you understand ?). Now what to do with this powder? Does my friend:

(a) engage the services of a free, highly reputable and confidential drug testing service right there on site in order to ensure that they knew the contents of the packet or

(b) say 'Fuck it', have a dab and see what happens?

I think you're ahead of me on this one...

Four hours later they were no longer twatted, had had a very nice time and had worked out, from effects, what it was! The next day The Loop confirmed their field test analysis...

Now, I tell you this purely for entertainment - kids, this is NOT what you do. Get tested anything about which you are in anyway uncertain.

(but it was quite funny...)

?

Ben 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

100% should be there.

Saw it for the first time at Boomtown this year. It was invariably rammed whenever I walked past - you can decide for yourself how you feel about that. For me, it can only be as good thing. In addition to the perma-queue, there was also never fewer than 30-40 people crammed in front of the huge drug interactions poster outside the main Loop tent - again, more information can only be a good thing.

Little Boomtown Loop story for you:

So, one of my campmates found a small packet of slightly crystalline powder on the floor on the Thursday afternoon. Their real world job is as a pharmacist (a proper one, not a 'weekend pharmacist', you understand ?). Now what to do with this powder? Does my friend:

(a) engage the services of a free, highly reputable and confidential drug testing service right there on site in order to ensure that they knew the contents of the packet or

(b) say 'Fuck it', have a dab and see what happens?

I think you're ahead of me on this one...

Four hours later they were no longer twatted, had had a very nice time and had worked out, from effects, what it was! The next day The Loop confirmed their field test analysis...

Now, I tell you this purely for entertainment - kids, this is NOT what you do. Get tested anything about which you are in anyway uncertain.

(but it was quite funny...)

?

Ben 

Hello Ben,

I have ran out of up votes.

Your post is very eloquent, and informed. It' also reflects the position that I (and a fair few others on this site) would take too. I mean, it's a real no brainer.

A friend of mine also found some powder at Glastonbury one year. He was never going to take it, but me and another friend did. It could have been anything. It could have killed us. Still, you've got to crack on, haven't you! Fortunately it couldn't really compete with the drugs that were already in our systems, so never got anywhere. We were lucky to get away with it. We were also stupid.

Anyway, hope that you are well.  :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Ben,

I have ran out of up votes.

Your post is very eloquent, and informed. It' also reflects the position that I (and a fair few others on this site) would take too. I mean, it's a real no brainer.

A friend of mine also found some powder at Glastonbury one year. He was never going to take it, but me and another friend did. It could have been anything. It could have killed us. Still, you've got to crack on, haven't you! Fortunately it couldn't really compete with the drugs that were already in our systems, so never got anywhere. We were lucky to get away with it. We were also stupid.

Anyway, hope that you are well.  :) 

Thanks, Yog!

I've given you the upvote that you wanted to give me. Call it an early Christmas pressie.

:)

Ben

I've never been to an event where this is available so not seen in action but from various sources I have heard it's something people seem to use. Personally I don't care about any adult taking drugs,that's your free choice and I respect that but I do think that any education about the subject is welcome. I also think it's important to have somewhere folks can go and discuss their concerns and not feel demonized. I think there are a few potential downsides to introducing this but on the whole think it should be something gf brings in.

8 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

I've never been to an event where this is available so not seen in action but from various sources I have heard it's something people seem to use. Personally I don't care about any adult taking drugs,that's your free choice and I respect that but I do think that any education about the subject is welcome. I also think it's important to have somewhere folks can go and discuss their concerns and not feel demonized. I think there are a few potential downsides to introducing this but on the whole think it should be something gf brings in.

The thing is, the alternative isn't working, so why, oh why, isn't this approach given more of a shot (if you'll excuse the expression)? It, to me, is the most logical approach. 

Got to dash, as I appear (to myself) as having lost my marbles.

And you know why that is, don't you!?

3 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The thing is, the alternative isn't working, so why, oh why, isn't this approach given more of a shot (if you'll excuse the expression)? It, to me, is the most logical approach. 

Got to dash, as I appear (to myself) as having lost my marbles.

And you know why that is, don't you!?

you've dropped one down the drain ? dont slip on them :) 

I think this would be a good idea if it decreases the chance of people coming to harm through taking some ropey pills.

Genuine question though, how does it work with regards to security etc. Is there some sort of agreement that security will leave people alone who are in and around the drug testing places. I have seen security at glasto giving people a hard time for smoking weed so how does it work with people coming out of a drug testing area who are likely to have drugs on them?

57 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

you've dropped one down the drain ? dont slip on them :) 

Apologies, I'm having an indulgent time, even by my own standards. One of my brothers has called over to visit, after a long time, and it would be fair to say that things have been taken. All is good,though. Onward, forever onward!  

1 hour ago, glastolover19 said:

I've never been to an event where this is available so not seen in action but from various sources I have heard it's something people seem to use.

Head over to YouTube, and watch the film "Boomtown on drugs". Yes, it's one sided, but I don't honestly see that there even is another side in this situation - everyone agrees that less dead people is a good thing. The only argument against testing I've heard anyone try to make is "It'll encourage drug taking". Well so what if it does, basic logic says that 10,000 people taking something with 0 of them in the hospital or dead is better than 5,000 people taking drugs with 10 of them in the hospital or dead.

At Boomtown, we got talking to a girl who had used the Loop. She had bought pills from someone - whom she regularly bought from by all accounts - but chose to get them tested. She was saying they had to get some 'higher' experts in as there were chemicals that they couldn't identify. Obviously, they only tested half a pill but advised her not to risk taking the others as it could be majorly risky. I think the way the service is run at Boomtown is a major positive - it is literally saving lives. Didn't see any issues with security but I wasn't really around there for long periods of time.

To me its a no brainer, surely its better to be educated than not, surely its better to understand the risks than not, surely its better to know what you're putting in your body than not. Its then your decision, as an educated, responsible adult to go ahead or not.  I've been following the loop on twitter over this summer and some of the work they do is truly outstanding. Long may it continue and, hopefully make an appearance not just at Glastonbury, but up and down the land at music events, night clubs and even in high streets. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, incident said:

Head over to YouTube, and watch the film "Boomtown on drugs". Yes, it's one sided, but I don't honestly see that there even is another side in this situation - everyone agrees that less dead people is a good thing. The only argument against testing I've heard anyone try to make is "It'll encourage drug taking". Well so what if it does, basic logic says that 10,000 people taking something with 0 of them in the hospital or dead is better than 5,000 people taking drugs with 10 of them in the hospital or dead.

I came across that film on Google whilst checking if any more talk had come from gf regarding this issue a few days ago. Personally I think that it should be used,I don't buy that it will encourage usage as such, I do think more people who are unsure wether to take drugs for the first time potentially will now instead of airing on the side of caution however providing they have the facts and are consenting adults then it's up to them what they do.

1 hour ago, rubenz said:

I think this would be a good idea if it decreases the chance of people coming to harm through taking some ropey pills.

Genuine question though, how does it work with regards to security etc. Is there some sort of agreement that security will leave people alone who are in and around the drug testing places. I have seen security at glasto giving people a hard time for smoking weed so how does it work with people coming out of a drug testing area who are likely to have drugs on them?

I have thought this regarding security,I guess their must be some form of agreement and tbh the security don't care really what you do as long as you ain't disruptive or all round being a dick. Haven't seen anyone hassled over weed for long time there and the ones who were hassled were acting like dicks or dealing. Couple of years ago sat by fence by pyramid waiting for slash and some kid sat in group next to me bragging to his mates"I'm gonna skin up you dare me to ask that copper for a light" Lo and behold 30seconds later he's being frog marched up to compound. Genuinely believe it's how you behave and I had that confirmed by a rozer friend who goes

I'm a great believer in what "the loop" are trying to achieve. If it saves one life or prevents one hospitalization then having them on site is 100% justified.

Some people will take drugs regardless of the legallity of their actions, so the risk needs to be minimised and information about what's in circulation needs broadcasting.

The government are supposed to protect the public - so why has the UK currently got record numbers of people dying from drug use?

Because prohibition fails to protect anything apart from a criminals profit margin and GW Pharmacuticles monopoly (Which the PM & several senior MP's are shareholders in).

• Like 1