The Cribs

zico martin

Great thread. I could talk about The Cribs all day. They're usually very easy to see but they've not been particularly active this year, and they've said about a month ago they're going away for "a while". By their standards, I reckon they'll be back for the back end of next year at the latest, but hopefully in time for summer festivals. A new album could easily be on the cards for 2019. A lot of the songs on that last record were from the Brazen Bull days, so they haven't actually released much "new" material since For All My Sisters in 2015, so I think they could easily have something for us. Really hope so.

I haven't really minded the break too much, I went to 3 of the 4 Manchester residency gigs last December, and only missed the Saturday one cos I already had Hurts tickets that night. So like that scratched the itch for a while. Was an unbelievable weekend, they did about 50 different songs over those 3 nights I went to. And I FINALLY heard We Can No Longer Cheat You live at like the 15th time of asking.

What Glasto slot do we reckon? I would love to see them in the John Peel tent but maybe they'd just get chucked in the middle somewhere on the Other stage. They seem to be taking lower and lower slots at festivals now; they have a really solid cult following but not sure festivals will be rushing to book them these days.

Anyway, gotta rank the albums on an efests band thread right? I'll go:

In The Belly Of The Brazen Bull > Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever > The New Fellas > Ignore The Ignorant > The Cribs > 24/7 Rock Star Shit > For All My Sisters.

And I really like a lot of FAMS. Just a few duds in the second half. 24/7 RSS I woulda placed a couple of spots higher this time last year defo but it doesn't quite hold up to the older stuff in retrospect. I won tickets to see them at House of Vans in London on the release day last August and then got the overnight coach up to Manchester to see them play in HMV, and had a quick chat with them there as well about the new record. Lovely guys and I think that weekend (which was absolutely fucking magic) put that album on a pedestal for a while for me.

Also, not actually sure if Brazen Bull is my favourite, or if I just don't wanna put the most obvious one top haha. That and MNWNW are both perfect as far as I'm concerned, there's not really anything in it. But I discovered them in 2011, and Brazen Bull was like the first new album of theirs I had to look forward to, and then it absolutely blew me away. I remember them dropping Better Than Me a few weeks before the record was out, and thinking "fuck me how good is this album gonna be if this didn't make the cut?". And also the album came out the same week as City won the league against QPR. What a time to be alive that was.

Anyway sorry for ranting lol, I did warn you at the top.

• Upvote 4

i doubt it to be honest.

Big fan for many years but they are nowhere near as big as they once were and would need to accept a fairly low down slot to appear. They have already done very very early on the other stage so it would probably need to be mid john peel, a stage they have previously headlined, which comes with a fairly short set time and around bands who are much less established than they are.

They seem to be quite keen on headlining or playing higher up at smaller festivals. In a more general sense glastonbury's line up on the larger stages tends to attract what is big or trending in music at the time of that festival, and the cribs don't fit into that whatsoever anymore.

For some reason I cannot see them playing the park stage. Then you're running out of places they could play really. I doubt they would want to bother if it came down to playing Williams Green, a stage with no prospect of coverage outside of the event and what would likely be a pitiful financial offer.

Edited by Memory Man

I don't see why they'd need to be low down the JP. I've seen Death From Above in the evening in there, and The Cribs are easily bigger than them. They could no doubt at least do 3rd down in there, looking at the 2017 line-up, as Ride and Tove Lo (who?) were 4th down. 

20 hours ago, zico martin said:

As my mind craves organisation and order I'm a big fan of artist specific threads on here. Nice easy to find what you're looking for. 

So although seemingly no longer the peoples' favourites, do we think these tinkers may join the party next year?

My friend sees the drummer most days at the school gates  on the school run.

Shall I get her to ask him ?

2 hours ago, Odessa said:

I don't see why they'd need to be low down the JP. I've seen Death From Above in the evening in there, and The Cribs are easily bigger than them. They could no doubt at least do 3rd down in there, looking at the 2017 line-up, as Ride and Tove Lo (who?) were 4th down. 

OK not low down but I couldnt see them higher up than third or 4th at this point in time. Plus the JP tent is bigger than its ever been.

Love the cribs, never disappoint live. As someone said above, great in 2015. 

Top three albums is probably MNWNW, belly of the brazen bull, ignore the ignorant. Even though I think it's decent haven't got into 24/7 rock star shit the same way I have previous albums

9 hours ago, Memory Man said:

i doubt it to be honest.

Big fan for many years but they are nowhere near as big as they once were and would need to accept a fairly low down slot to appear. They have already done very very early on the other stage so it would probably need to be mid john peel, a stage they have previously headlined, which comes with a fairly short set time and around bands who are much less established than they are.

They seem to be quite keen on headlining or playing higher up at smaller festivals. In a more general sense glastonbury's line up on the larger stages tends to attract what is big or trending in music at the time of that festival, and the cribs don't fit into that whatsoever anymore.

For some reason I cannot see them playing the park stage. Then you're running out of places they could play really. I doubt they would want to bother if it came down to playing Williams Green, a stage with no prospect of coverage outside of the event and what would likely be a pitiful financial offer.

To be fair last time wasn't filmed - iy was that year when the first two bands on the Other were quite well known but didn't go on tele anyway - charlatans before them and Frank Turner also on the Saturday. Plus I'm sure they played 45 mins so still a decent length

Edited by efcfanwirral

• 2 years later...
22 hours ago, priest17 said:

Was hoping for more of the new stuff but can't complain about any of the selections. Didn't take my Baby Don't Sweat request onboard but I'm just happy they played it when I saw them at Gorilla.

12 days of Cribsmas streams please? Gotta see them do Goodbye live soon.

Yeah I was surprised at the lack of new material but it was really lovely to hear songs that stretched back to the first album. I couldn't have asked for more.

1 hour ago, Chrisp1986 said:

I have tickets for an Acoustic gig at Leeds Brudenell but its been rearranged for when I am at Disneyland Paris.....

Acoustic? I thought it was a normal show? I also have tickets for this - booked a flexible hotel room so we can make a day/night of it

Stream was so good last night, really enjoyed it. I think they're one of the only bands that I like every song by. Some of those deeper cuts sounded brilliant. Broken Arrow is a particular favourite

10 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Acoustic? I thought it was a normal show? I also have tickets for this - booked a flexible hotel room so we can make a day/night of it

Stream was so good last night, really enjoyed it. I think they're one of the only bands that I like every song by. Some of those deeper cuts sounded brilliant. Broken Arrow is a particular favourite

Yep I thought normal too but tickets came on Friday and it says Special Acoustic Performance on them