Muddy / non-muddy years

fuzzy_logic

3 hours ago, Sasperella said:

I've been wondering about this regarding good places to camp....we always camp in Rivermead/Pylon and it's never been a problem. Not excessively muddy in 2016 even. However, my newbie has seen the photos from 2005 and is terrified that will happen if it absolutely shits it down. Now, I've never actually been to Glastonbury when the weather during the festival has been biblical (touch wood) so I feel like i'm lying to them a little when I tell them it doesn't ever flood there. Sooo....were these the only places that got mega screwed in 205? Was the JP tent somewhere else then?

I suppose the key is that while it's not necessary to be at the top of a hill, you sure as hell don't want to be at the bottom of one....

Stick with what you know.   JP tent was in a slightly different place back then, sort of toward gate A.  They moved it after that year.   Pennards had a load of extra drainage put in too after 2005.  Despite all that an 8 hour thunderstorm will test everywhere even with the new drainage.  I was in Spring Ground which was ok, that's the disabled camping area now.   Hitchen Hill above it has always remained dry.   I always think camping near the Other Stage looks a bit soggy when it rains.

Just now, Bags73 said:

I've considered them but undoing the laces when they're clagged up is a bit grim and in sustained wet they do get damp.  My wife got the beginnings of trench foot in 97 or 98.  

That's the best bit about the mud!  Normally I have to re-do my laces a few times a day, but when it's muddy, they stay firm.  Got to be better than tugging on a stuck welly for ten minutes.

If your boots are getting damp in sustained damp you need better boots.

12 minutes ago, Calvin Klein said:

Yep.

Thursday was rainy, Friday had the storm, Saturday rain in the afternoon during Plant. By Sunday it was pretty muddy. The Park was not easy to navigate.

Oh yes, I forgot about dancing to Craig Charles in the rain at Arcadia on Saturday. It was magical :D

26 minutes ago, Bags73 said:

I've considered them but undoing the laces when they're clagged up is a bit grim and in sustained wet they do get damp.  My wife got the beginnings of trench foot in 97 or 98.  

Get Boots with a side zip - there's a few around especially if you look at Police/Army style boots.

I've got a pair of Magnums that are waterproof and have a zip, works a treat.

I'll recommend them to her.   I'll be sticking with my Dunlop wellies.  They're a perfect fit so don't come off in the stickiest mud but I can still take them off without bother at the end of the day.  

I'm still hoping for a sandals weekend like in 2010.  That was the best.

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Oh yes, I forgot about dancing to Craig Charles in the rain at Arcadia on Saturday. It was magical :D

OH! and that perfect moment when a patch of clear sky slowly inched its way above us, bringing glorious sunshine and respite from the rain.

The entire spider exploded in joyous delight.  It is one of my favourite glastonbury moments

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kinkyinuit said:

OH! and that perfect moment when a patch of clear sky slowly inched its way above us, bringing glorious sunshine and respite from the rain.

The entire spider exploded in joyous delight.  It is one of my favourite glastonbury moments

A bit like the big cheer when a cloud went in front of the sun on the Weds last year ;-)

3 hours ago, Johnnyseven said:

I arrived on thursday, it was already raining when I stepped off the coach. I remember because I didn't have a ticket and had to find the gate I had agreed to meet my mates at and wait for them once I got there. My first time so I had no idea where I was going. I waited for what seemed like hours in the pissing rain before they turned up. It also rained lots on the friday but I remember it clearing up on the saturday, but the damage had already been done by this point. I remember constantly having to pull my feet out of the mud while watching bands because I was worried they'd get stuck.

Yes your right, it was dry and sunny on the Thursday morning. The rain began in the afternoon and went on and on...

I remember 2014 being a lot muddier than others on here seem to. Obviously there was the thunderstorm during Rudimental, and I also remember getting caught in it properly pissing it down one night at about 2am. Definitely got stuck in some mud in Shangrila at one point too.

But the Wednesday was absolutely glorious.

2017 is did pee it down one night - I was walking back to Paines from Silver Hayes, I think around 3am and it chucked it down a bit when I was halfway home. Might have been the Friday night, and it was still raining a bit on Saturday. Kept the dust down very nicely.

2017 every year please.

5 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

2007 ended up as soup, a lot easier to walk in than the clag of other muddy years, just depressingly wet for most of the weekend

gallery_38615_1123_179170.jpg

Some very depressing memories ae flooding back. So bleak.

2007 was just shit, long spells of standing in front of stages not being able to hear anything because of the rain hammering down on your hood, wanting to leave early but being unable to because we were on the coach, stood in the freezing cold and pissing rain listening to Pete Townsend fart on about inventing the internet...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2018 at 4:55 PM, Skoo said:

I remember 2014 being a lot muddier than others on here seem to. Obviously there was the thunderstorm during Rudimental, and I also remember getting caught in it properly pissing it down one night at about 2am. Definitely got stuck in some mud in Shangrila at one point too.

But the Wednesday was absolutely glorious.

2017 is did pee it down one night - I was walking back to Paines from Silver Hayes, I think around 3am and it chucked it down a bit when I was halfway home. Might have been the Friday night, and it was still raining a bit on Saturday. Kept the dust down very nicely.

2017 every year please.

2014 was quite muddy and that thunderstorm was epic on the Friday. 

We were just walking along end of the railway line to go to Hell stage when it started, so ran into some bar with a glass roof bought a beer and chilled. When we went to watch Kosheen they had started early and were doing an acoustic set which was fab!!! 2014 was actually my favourite year despite those heavy rain storms - think the last one was on Saturday afternoon during Kodaline as had to go back to the tent to get changed, after that it was fine :) 

2017 it defo rained Friday night about an hour after Flaming Lips and a bit Sunday morning around 3am?? 

Deffo rained overnight on Friday in 2017 as it woke me up from my slumbers by Arcadia....

In my defense I had consumed a large amount of cider....

That means that I have not been to a single dry Glasto since 2010

Edited by Penrhos