First time in a HIRED VAN

ppdpp

ok so the plan is from Madrid going to Bristol and pick up the van at 23:30( if the company let me do it....) and go to sleep the first night close to the Aldi, wake up and buy the stuff we are gonna need for the 5-6 days, the at 12:00 on the 25th enter and take a campervan place in the east campervan site......IS THAT ALL POSSIBLE??? he he he sorry but its gonna be our first time there as a campervaners!

thanks!

9 minutes ago, ppdpp said:

ok so the plan is from Madrid going to Bristol and pick up the van at 23:30( if the company let me do it....) and go to sleep the first night close to the Aldi, wake up and buy the stuff we are gonna need for the 5-6 days, the at 12:00 on the 25th enter and take a campervan place in the east campervan site......IS THAT ALL POSSIBLE??? he he he sorry but its gonna be our first time there as a campervaners!

thanks!

Will be a very good hire company that lets you pick up the van at 23:30 i would think... (airport hotel as alternative.?).

Assuming above. Pick up van first thing and then go get supplies, I would imagine this will include bedding (quilts/pillows) but should include your food, booze, tea/coffee, toiletries (no point in packing).

Make sure you are clear on what is provided with the van (plates, cutlery, drinking receptacles (plastic), washing up/cleaning stuff etc..). Have they filled the water tank.?

You will probably want to get some chairs for sitting outside and disposable bbq for tuesday night.

You will have a great time.! Enjoy.

It's doubtful. I remember seeing somewhere that they need to be purpose built campervans. I don't think a sleeping bag in the back of a can would count as such!

Then again, you've got a morning to make it look as purpose built as possible so who knows, a chair, a camp bed and a rug to tie the room together, you may just pull it off

13 minutes ago, ppdpp said:

unconverted means stuck furnitures to the main structure of the van??? omg.....problem!!!!anyway i´ll do my best to sleep in there.thanks!

UNconverted means just a regular van... one without purpose built facilities..

You will not be allowed to sleep in any vehicle (including vans) in the normal car-park :

"Unsuitable vehicles, including unconverted vans, with tickets for the camper van fields, will not be allowed entry and will be sent to one of the festival car parks – and, as it is contrary to our licence, security patrols will not permit sleeping in any vehicles in these car parks."

Is there any reason that you dont want to camp in a regular tent.? (apart from the obvious fact that it is a tent and why would anyone want to do that..)

yes!!!! plan b is always a good plan!!! hahahaha

ok more question.....can we, at the end of the concerts of course!!!, go in and out the festival?

i mean...if we rent that UNCONVERTEDVAN....can we park somewhereelse and sleep?

thanks!

Edited by ppdpp

14 minutes ago, ppdpp said:

ok more question.....can we, at the end of the concerts of course!!!, go in and out the festival?

the gates are open 24 hours a day from when they open.

You can come and go as you please, but you need to make sure you keep your ticket and collect a pass-out each time you leave. Without the pass-out and your ticket you can't* re-enter.

(* they do have systems in place for lost tickets, pass-outs, etc, but it's a big hassle).

Edited by eFestivals

44 minutes ago, ppdpp said:

yes!!!! plan b is always a good plan!!! hahahaha

i mean...if we rent that UNCONVERTEDVAN....can we park somewhereelse and sleep?

thanks!

Hi ppdpp,

i think they problem you will have (assuming that you want to sleep in your unconverted van) is trying to find somewhere to park that will let you sleep in it... you CANNOT sleep in the festival car park, stewards will be checking for that. Finding somewhere away from the festival is likely to be difficult and then you have to get there and back....

why do you not want to camp in the festival.??

is gonna be muddy as hell isnt? in my first glastonury 2013 we hadnt that problem ´cos was so sunny!!!! I hope next year will be same but we dont know.... how far is the village to the festival? im gonna be there monday night so i think I´m gonna be lucky to have a close space to park NOT IN THE CAR PARK......what do you think?

13 minutes ago, ppdpp said:

is gonna be muddy as hell isnt? in my first glastonury 2013 we hadnt that problem ´cos was so sunny!!!! I hope next year will be same but we dont know.... how far is the village to the festival? im gonna be there monday night so i think I´m gonna be lucky to have a close space to park NOT IN THE CAR PARK......what do you think?

There will be restrictions all around the local areas.  Why don't you just camp in the festival? 

We're 6 months away from being able to make any sort of guess of the weather so it's a bit premature for that.  

Even then in the worst case, if the weather/ground conditions was similar to 2016,  the walk to the car park,  driving in and out of the car park every day (as well as staying sober enough to drive) and finding somewhere to park would be an absolute ball ache.

Out of curiosity, what would the stewards do when they found you sleeping in your car/van?  Would they just tell you to get out of the car and go back to the fest or do they have the authority to do anything more severe?

2 hours ago, ppdpp said:

There are restrictions imposed on all car parks and roads within walking distance of the festival for up to 5 miles. Any vehicles breaching those restrictions are liable to a fine and unattended vehicles towed away. Sleeping in vehicles, other than on official sites, is not tolerated. 

If you wish to sleep in an unconverted hire van your best hope is one of the private sites that spring up near the festival run by entrepreneurial landowners. From past inquires these charge a reasonably significant fee. However I can foresee problems and reluctance with landowners accepting unconverted vans as this would invalidate their public liability insurance.

Whatever you decide make sure it is totally achievable before you set out for the festival. It would be folly indeed to turn up in an unconverted van just expecting to find a place to park.

You also mention an aversity to mud......We all are......but it's part of Glasto and I can think of nothing worse than having to leave the site each night for long slog through the dark, maybe with rain and mud to an off-site facility.

If you don't want to camp then the best solution would be to hire third party accommodation or a full camper van. These will all come at significant cost.

Finally, if you really don't want to camp and third party solutions are not possible, then Glastonbury is not for you!

• Like 2

hahahhahahaha i have several solutions but im telling you just the worst ahahahahah the final solution is go on camping for sure but we have friends with campervans and we can set up our tent there, maybe is not as muddy as the proper campsites......just MAYBE hahahaha

thanks!

4 minutes ago, ppdpp said:

hahahhahahaha i have several solutions but im telling you just the worst ahahahahah the final solution is go on camping for sure but we have friends with campervans and we can set up our tent there, maybe is not as muddy as the proper campsites......just MAYBE hahahaha

thanks!

Pretty sure you're not allowed to camp in campervan fields. Remember a friend being asked to remove their tent from there.

2 minutes ago, ppdpp said:

thanks!

OK right.... It IS acceptable to camp next to friends who are in the Camper Van (CV) fields. but...:

- If you travel with them (in their campervan) you can get into the CV fields on Tuesday..

- if you travel in you own vehicle, then you have to park in the Public Car Park and will need to buy a ticket. More importantly, you will not be able to join your friends in the CV fields until wednesday.

10 minutes ago, ppdpp said:

thanks!

some questions :

- How many of your friends are in the Campervan.?

- do they already have a ticket for the CV fields.?

- How many of you plan to camp with them.? (in just one tent.??)