Glasto as a Tourist

nessb13

Hey there, my friend and I are coming from Australia, wondering about where to store stuff. I know there are lock boxes around, how big are they and how secure are they? We will have a large suitcase / bag each and hand luggage as we're away from home for a month. Passports, cash and big bags are concerning me... anyone with a solution? ?

2 minutes ago, nessb13 said:

Hey there, my friend and I are coming from Australia, wondering about where to store stuff. I know there are lock boxes around, how big are they and how secure are they? We will have a large suitcase / bag each and hand luggage as we're away from home for a month. Passports, cash and big bags are concerning me... anyone with a solution? ?

The solution is to use the free lock us on site. They are very secure. You can put stuff in to them and take stuff out of them as you wish. The staff are very friendly and helpful. You will have no problem storing the items that you mention. This will allow you to enjoy your festival with peace of mind. Oh, and they are open 24 hours a day during the festival. 

22 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

The solution is to use the free lock us on site. They are very secure. You can put stuff in to them and take stuff out of them as you wish. The staff are very friendly and helpful. You will have no problem storing the items that you mention. This will allow you to enjoy your festival with peace of mind. Oh, and they are open 24 hours a day during the festival. 

your not still up ?  have you been in touch with your friend to see if you can get a place next year with one of the locker Groups ?

will send you a e-mail in the next 30 mins.

12 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

your not still up ?  have you been in touch with your friend to see if you can get a place next year with one of the locker Groups ?

will send you a e-mail in the next 30 mins.

Hello glasto-worker,

Yep, I'm still up. I'm riding an amphetamine wave. 

Will wait to hear from you. :)

3 hours ago, semmtexx said:

Yo Mr Yoghurt, how's that wave now? ?

Hello semmtexx,

Well, I was tired and felt a bit odd for most of yesterday. Then I had a joint in the evening, and suddenly felt right as rain again. However, I did go to bed early last night, but am now wide awake again. I'm afraid that I take speed on a daily basis, so my 24 hour clock is always a bit fucked. 

23 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello glasto-worker,

Yep, I'm still up. I'm riding an amphetamine wave. 

Will wait to hear from you. :)

23 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Forgot to say - I haven't been in touch with my friend who runs one of the lock ups. Not sure that I'm going to either.

5 hours ago, semmtexx said:

Yo Mr Yoghurt, how's that wave now? ?

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello semmtexx,

Well, I was tired and felt a bit odd for most of yesterday. Then I had a joint in the evening, and suddenly felt right as rain again. However, I did go to bed early last night, but am now wide awake again. I'm afraid that I take speed on a daily basis, so my 24 hour clock is always a bit fucked. 

That is a shame because I was going to suggest that you also get a place for Carl (Your neighbour) - that way you and Carl could have ' 6 long nights of Chats !!! '

its the main reason why I volunteer - people get that wasted I can slip away for a kip at  1am and come back at 5.30am and none of them have noticed ' I have been away '

7 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

That is a shame because I was going to suggest that you also get a place for Carl (Your neighbour) - that way you and Carl could have ' 6 long nights of Chats !!! '

its the main reason why I volunteer - people get that wasted I can slip away for a kip at  1am and come back at 5.30am and none of them have noticed ' I have been away '

Hello glasto-worker,

Fortunately we had a night off from Carl calling around last night. I couldn't even entertain the idea of spending 6 nights chatting to him - even if I had overdone it on the speed and was wanting to talk to someone at great length. 

On 10/30/2018 at 3:08 AM, nessb13 said:

Your main problem here maybe a suitcase if you opt for them. They are not the most convenient of items to haul into the festival and if they have integral wheels, these are normally not robust enough for the long  pull over stoney, rough and potentially muddy ground. Rucksack would be a much better option

11 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello glasto-worker,

Fortunately we had a night off from Carl calling around last night. I couldn't even entertain the idea of spending 6 nights chatting to him - even if I had overdone it on the speed and was wanting to talk to someone at great length. 

well that was a Result - just keep the lights off the next few days !!!!

On 10/30/2018 at 3:08 AM, nessb13 said:

Info on the lockups:

http://www.festivallockups.org.uk/

49 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

I’ve just watched it and got question about the wristbands. Does that mean if I get the challenge 21 band I can leave my passport in the lock up and no one at the bars will bother me for ID?

I think the bars could still ask, I'm not really in a position to be troubled by it. My son has got one the last few years and he's never been asked but he doesn't go to the bars often, normally just has his own.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Jay89 said:

I’ve just watched it and got question about the wristbands. Does that mean if I get the challenge 21 band I can leave my passport in the lock up and no one at the bars will bother me for ID?

Maybe you could leave your passport in the lock up, and take a photo copy to the bar with you (as well as the challenge 21 band), and inform the bar staff (if questioned) that there's no way you were going to risk taking your passport around the festival with you. If the bars wont accept this, then maybe you will have to carry your passport around.

Could do with glasto-worker reading this, as he'll most likely know the answer.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jay89 said:

Yes. The band is accepted as proof in all bars on site.

My daughter gets one each year.

Edited by Gedh

1 hour ago, Jay89 said:

25 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Maybe you could leave your passport in the lock up, and take a photo copy to the bar with you (as well as the challenge 21 band), and inform the bar staff (if questioned) that there's no way you were going to risk taking your passport around the festival with you. If the bars wont accept this, then maybe you will have to carry your passport around.

Could do with glasto-worker reading this, as he'll most likely know the answer.

well ' it depends ' - if the people issuing the challenge 21 wristband does their Job Correctly most bars will accept it. 

But there has been ' problems ' in the past.

If bar staff suspect - I will have to use a technical term here - ' a balls up ' and they think that they have been issued incorrectly ' They will demand to see photo ID '

Yes I know its a pain in the arse but in the past we have seen 15 year olds swagger up and they think they will get away with it - they wont - sure in some Bars they may as they may not give a Monkeys .

In Law {Licensing Act 2003 England} Bar staff can be fined ' does not matter if they have a arm full of challenge 21 wristbands ' because the Law makes it very clear about ID and its at ' The point of Sale '

I Know it may sound strange but in that Act - there is no challenge 21 wristbands or challenge 25 wristbands mentioned.

So the person handing out the  challenge 21 wristbands incorrectly is not breaking the law but if the Bar staff ' has been told not to to accept them ' and they do accept them ' then they are breaking the Law  

===============

But all is not Lost - any problems then you should ask for the ' deputy Tent Manager ' and they will use some common sense.

its a funny old world !!!

1 hour ago, Jay89 said:

I’m out of upvotes, but thank you!

As Glastoworker says you can get challenged but if you look 18+ and have the band chances are you won't. As suggested a photocopy or picture on phone of your passport can't hurt.

You will have taken a photo of your lock up receipt as well of course, just in case the bar usage leads to misplacing it or your brain.

Edited by Gedh

10 minutes ago, Gedh said:

As Glastoworker says you can get challenged but if you look 18+ and have the band chances are you won't. As suggested a photocopy or picture on phone of your passport can't hurt.

You will have taken a photo of your lock up receipt as well of course, just in case the bar usage leads to misplacing it or your brain.

Good points. I believe that some people also take a photo on their phone of a contact number to reach, should the phone be lost at the festival. If it's handed in to lost property, then they will look for such a photo in order to get the phone back to you. 

6 hours ago, Gedh said:

Good advice

6 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Good points. I believe that some people also take a photo on their phone of a contact number to reach, should the phone be lost at the festival. If it's handed in to lost property, then they will look for such a photo in order to get the phone back to you. 

Good advice as well - 

these days I work in a Crew Area - We could open up our own phone store with the amount of phones that is handed in - On average we will have ' 5 ' each day - cant work it out myself because my phone is always zipped up in a my trouser side pocket - all the people you see in this photo ' would have wandered away had I not pointed out that is not a wise move ' - I tell them to stick their name on their phone as it helps if the phone run out of juice - each year we hand over 21 phones that were not claimed to the WBC office and if they are lucky they will get it back but they would be better just zipping the bloody thing up and not leaving it on a table - better not to lose it in the first place.

977.thumb.jpg.68d176ab93b39f0b6eb25d9af7bf98e4.jpg

• Like 1