Old School Hip Hop at Glastonbury

chatty

Any old school hip hop artists you think could show up this year. Strong rumours of A Tribe Called Quest last time before the pulled the band due to the death of Phife Dog. 

Anyone you see could turn up this time? 

Grandmaster Flash

De La Soul

Krs One

Cypress Hill

??? 

9 hours ago, chatty said:

Any old school hip hop artists you think could show up this year. Strong rumours of A Tribe Called Quest last time before the pulled the band due to the death of Phife Dog. 

Anyone you see could turn up this time? 

Grandmaster Flash

De La Soul

Krs One

Cypress Hill

??? 

De la soul and Grandmaster Flash have both done it in the last 4 years. Would love to see MF Doom, not that familiar with his stuff but liked what I've heard. Old school would love some Run DMC or Public Enemy.

Edited by H.M.V

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I'm confused, Phife Dawg died over a year before ATCQ were supposed to be playing Glasto.

Yeah they had an album out which he was on and then when they finished that tour they called it a day I believe. They were heavily rumoured but the tour got pulled or something, can't fully remember what happened but I guess that was the end of them playing though, whatever the reason. 

5 minutes ago, chatty said:

Yeah they had an album out which he was on and then when they finished that tour they called it a day I believe. They were heavily rumoured but the tour got pulled or something, can't fully remember what happened but I guess that was the end of them playing though, whatever the reason. 

Yeah it was meant to be their final tour but they cancelled some of it. It wasn't because Phife Dawg died, though, as they still did part of the tour and I'm pretty sure he was dead when it was announced.

That Friday night was already a clash nightmare, though, so if they had ended up headlining West Holts as was rumoured I'd have missed em anyway.

11 hours ago, H.M.V said:

De la soul and Grandmaster Flash have both done it in the last 4 years. Would love to see MF Doom, not that familiar with his stuff but liked what I've heard. Old school would love some Run DMC or Public Enemy.

I could see Run DMC rocking up - they've done a few festivals this year though.

@H.M.V

I've met Darryl a couple of times, at conventions and things as he has a publishing firm/comic company on the side - he has always been really approachable. 

I once asked him why he didn't wear laces and how he kept his shoes on... Apparently when you bought Adidas back in the day, laces were separate and he couldn't afford them, so he used to buy his shoes a half size too small to keep them on. 

Random fact of the day for you there. ?

Edited by vintagelaureate
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Saw Sugarhill Gang & Furious Five at Bearded Theory a couple of years back, tremendous fun even though it felt a bit like a zumba class with all the instructions. 

Jesus Gnomz, all you have to do is put your hands in the air and wave them like you just don't care. How hard can it be?

31 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Isn't Grandmaster Flash supposed to be wiggidy wiggidy wack on the wheels of steel?

Compared to some of the DMC world champions he doesn't come close but he's considered one of the originators of mixing and scratching so by virtue of that alone he rightfully has legendary status. However, some detractors consider him a fraud due to his limited production/writing input during the Furious Five years.

I saw him a few years back and he practically played an EDM set and it wasn't good. Fully expected him to be dropping old skool bombs and he played stuff like the A-Trak remix of Heads Will Roll by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

31 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

My friend competes in DMC for U.K. him and every other scratch DJ use Technics and Serato. Why limit yourself to how many records you can carry?

It's not the technology per se that I take issue with, it's more that I'd like to see one of the pioneers of the genre show us the skills he made his name with.  

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

For anyone with Netflix, Hip-Hop Evolution season 2 has been recently added. S1 was great, S2 goes a bit deeper. 

Cheers for the tip, I really enjoyed the documentary something from nothing, so interesting to see some other aspects in slightly greater depth.