How much crazier can it get!

The other Bellboy

I think the mud of 2016 was possibly worse than that of 2007, but the weather during the festival was far better - 2016 was lots of mud, whereas 2007 was lots of mud served with lots of rain. Also, 2007 was preceded by 2005, which was legendary for its flooding. Actually 2005 wasn't bad at all (providing you'd camped in a fortunate location!) but the flooding would have looked pretty bad on TV. I think those two years in sequence had an impact on sales for 2008.

Just now, Kashkin said:

I think the mud of 2016 was possibly worse than that of 2007, but the weather during the festival was far better - 2016 was lots of mud, whereas 2007 was lots of mud served with lots of rain. Also, 2007 was preceded by 2005, which was legendary for its flooding. Actually 2005 wasn't bad at all (providing you'd camped in a fortunate location!) but the flooding would have looked pretty bad on TV. I think those two years in sequence had an impact on sales for 2008.

Yeah, I'd agree with all of that, especially since when 2007 started, there was no mud. Something you could not say about 2016.

But rain is far more unpleasant than a bit of mud underfoot, especially with all the seats there are these days.

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You may be right, but there was a world of difference between 2016 and 2007. 2016 was muddy from the get go, but 2007 was just fucking miserable. I watched about one song of the Sunday night headliners, before heading back to the safety of camp. I remember sitting on a chair, under an umbrella, wearing a raincoat, getting that on by the rain whilst trying to watch The Coral. It was relentless. The rain would stop for a bit, then lash it down ever harder, every fucking day, until Sunday when it just rained and rained and rained.

2016 was muddy. So what? With decent footwear you're fine. That's it, with the added advantage that you don't need to retie your laces very ofte. It rained hard on people out very late one night, and drizzled for a bit on the Sunday, but was otherwise fine. No comparison at all for me.

i too was there for both, in fact 2007 was my first and it it hadn't of been for the problems in them selling tickets in 2008 i would probably never have gone again, for months after 2007 i said never again! We didnt arrive until late on Thursday night so didnt have to put up with it for too long overall. By the Sunday we just decided to sit at the top of pryamid stage field all day (apart from getting booze and food), we had a big brolly we could sit under and a great floor mat so we were sorted for the day, we put off any more exploring or bands on other stages. Personally i don't mind the rain it keeps the mud easier to walk in, i hate the thick sticky stuff that comes after a bit of a dry spell. Having said that, my legs ached for weeks after 2007 and i was a lot younger and fitter then. 2016 wasnt as bad for me, i think experience helps change the approach our festival each year. But each to their own and i did expect the 2016 issues to have more of an effect on 2017 sales, maybe they did but the thing is just so big now that even a 50% reduction in interest would not be seen by us as it would still sell out in no time:)

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Hard schmard. 2007 had frequent heavy showers. Incidentally, did you wear boots or wellies? Did that differ by festival? 

Wellies in 2007 (which split on the friday morning so I had to buy some new ones), boots in 2016.

1 minute ago, The other Bellboy said:

i too was there for both, in fact 2007 was my first and it it hadn't of been for the problems in them selling tickets in 2008 i would probably never have gone again, for months after 2007 i said never again! We didnt arrive until late on Thursday night so didnt have to put up with it for too long overall. By the Sunday we just decided to sit at the top of pryamid stage field all day (apart from getting booze and food), we had a big brolly we could sit under and a great floor mat so we were sorted for the day, we put off any more exploring or bands on other stages. Personally i don't mind the rain it keeps the mud easier to walk in, i hate the thick sticky stuff that comes after a bit of a dry spell. Having said that, my legs ached for weeks after 2007 and i was a lot younger and fitter then. 2016 wasnt as bad for me, i think experience helps change the approach our festival each year. But each to their own and i did expect the 2016 issues to have more of an effect on 2017 sales, maybe they did but the thing is just so big now that even a 50% reduction in interest would not be seen by us as it would still sell out in no time:)

similarly, 2007 was my first... The wednesday afternoon was dry and fairly sunny. It just didnt stop raining per @stuartbert two hats and by sunday evening i was wet through (including my feet), freezing cold and dog tired.. I didnt bother with 2008 but returned in 2009 with my daughters and every year since...

The mud in 2007 was like wading through soup... 2016 was thick and clawing and my dreadful on my (by then) arthritic knees.. It was so much more difficult to get about. If 2018 wasnt a fallow, i probably wouldnt have tried for 2017..

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

True, but you get rained on!

Thats what decent rain coats are for:)

Maybe, as my first job involved working outside in all sorts of weather its that different elements and their affects raise different issues for me than you?

Re your foot wear question, i have always been a boots man but in 2016 for some reason they started to dig into one of my shins (think it was because i was expecting 2016 to be my last year - so i walked so far on the Wednesday trying to cover every inch of the place whilst it was quiet) so from the Thursday onwards i had wellies on, really good comfortable ones and i didnt have any issues for the rest of 2016

4 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

similarly, 2007 was my first... The wednesday afternoon was dry and fairly sunny. It just didnt stop raining per @stuartbert two hats and by sunday evening i was wet through (including my feet), freezing cold and dog tired.. I didnt bother with 2008 but returned in 2009 with my daughters and every year since...

The mud in 2007 was like wading through soup... 2016 was thick and clawing and my dreadful on my (by then) arthritic knees.. It was so much more difficult to get about. If 2018 wasnt a fallow, i probably wouldnt have tried for 2017..

i think this is another thing about the CV popularity, we have always had one, so getting wet isn't any where near the issue it is for those who camp, knowing you have clean dry clothes in the cupboard and a heater that will dry your coat overnight really does make a dfference and a lot of people wouldn't want to camp if it was going to rain all the time.

Thats how i remember most of the mud in 2007, like brown thick watery soup in lots of area's, really remember that being the case in the dance village (or whatever its name was back then). There were area's of thick gluppy mud but nothing like 2016. But i didn't get as physically tired in 2016 cos i just cut back on what i did (after the first day). This won't suit everyone, especially those who are first or second timers, they really want to go absolutley everywhere! I still do but just realise i'll pay for it at some point! In 2017 we really cut back on the walking so we wouldn't end up so tired and allow us to give more to the kids. we still had a fantastic time and the bug to go every year is back now that we know we wont get struck down if we dont see every inch of the place:)

Facebook, smart phones, selfies, Instagram generation, SE corner becoming 'a thing', headliners now being the biggest artists in the world, massive BBC coverage, 'the legend slot', so many things have come to the fore since 2008, it's no wonder things are getting harder.

I also wonder if families/kids growing up are beginning to have an effect (and will continue to do so)

This year our group has two teenagers who need tickets for the first time. These kids have been attending for the last 13 years, the number of 'us' hasn't changed but this year we've taken an additional two tickets from the pot. There's another four kids who will also need tickets in the next few years....it's gonna get harder!

As much as kids are growing up and taking tickets from the pot surely there are quite a lot of people who have given up going due to many different circumstances. Not everyone is hit by the bug, I know of a few people who went once and are not really bothered about going back again.

Yes it's harder but that's cos it's easier as said before due to much improved connections and being able to book on your phone. Obviously the whole influencer thing with Instagram is another thing. But a lot of those people are done it, have the selfie and on to the next thing. 

8 minutes ago, Nice hymer said:

Facebook, smart phones, selfies, Instagram generation, SE corner becoming 'a thing', headliners now being the biggest artists in the world, massive BBC coverage, 'the legend slot', so many things have come to the fore since 2008, it's no wonder things are getting harder.

I also wonder if families/kids growing up are beginning to have an effect (and will continue to do so)

This year our group has two teenagers who need tickets for the first time. These kids have been attending for the last 13 years, the number of 'us' hasn't changed but this year we've taken an additional two tickets from the pot. There's another four kids who will also need tickets in the next few years....it's gonna get harder!

My wife and I said a pretty similar thing a few moments ago,2020 will be the year my boy will need his own ticket then few years later will be my daughter.

Shit just realized I'm going to have to fork out for 2 extra in a few years

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It may be clumsily put, but the point is sound - one single data point doesn't say much, especially when you either get a ticket or not, but if you look at what many people are saying about their success levels, a more meaningful picture emerges.

I just don't understand what point that comment was aimed at? The original poster wasn't bashing the system or anything and seemingly accepts it the luck of the draw

3 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

My wife and I said a pretty similar thing a few moments ago,2020 will be the year my boy will need his own ticket then few years later will be my daughter.

Shit just realized I'm going to have to fork out for 2 extra in a few years

Yep, I make it about £870 for us this year (120+245x3).

Once our youngest needs a ticket, we'll probably start working the festival again. Haven't worked it for years but sometimes miss the interaction you get from helping out, saving a few hundred quid would be good too!

1 hour ago, The other Bellboy said:

i think this is another thing about the CV popularity, we have always had one, so getting wet isn't any where near the issue it is for those who camp 

2007 was the last year I stayed in a tent. Taking off wet clothes each day and not having sufficient space to dry them so they were barely dry before you put them on again. It rained on every day that the stages were open, which I don't really recall for other years. 

I know a few people that really looked forward to Jay Z and enjoyed it too ?

3 hours ago, The other Bellboy said:

I can't remember exactly when the credit crunch started to bite, i was lucky at the time and was working 2 very well paid jobs so firstly didnt have time to keep upto date with things and secondly i had quite a bit of cash coming in. I moved abroad in 2009 so was out of touch for a long time.

2007 was of course a mud bath and then there was the Jay Z issue, quite a few things must have come together but some of these things have occurred since and there hasn't been the same issue. I'm really surprised that no one has ever done a case study on 2008 as it was a real blip for GFL. Of course they took a few big steps which changed the way things have ran since then - the change in ticket sale date, the deposit scheme and not announcing the line up until after its too late for anyone to change their minds:) Very good moves for GFL obvioulsy:)

I think it was a combination of a number of factors, 2007 being a mud bath for one. I think too many people lay the blame at the decision to book Jay Z which, for anyone who had attended the festival before then, should not have affected their desire to attend as they would have known that there would be plenty of options beyond that particular Pyramid headliner. I think the credit crunch was most definitely the number one issue at that time. I remember there was so much uncertainty at that time. Mass redundancies, banks not lending any money at all and the economy grinding to a halt. At the time the crisis happened I was due to renew my mortgage and went from a 4% fixed to an 8% variable and no bank wanting to offer us the money to keep paying for our house for a number of months which had a significant impact on our household income. This scenario I'm sure was replicated up and down the country which would have made the commitment of paying for a Glasto ticket, and all the spending money required to attend, a luxury many people could not risk forking out for. 

I reckon it's accessibility/familiarity - loads more people see it on TV, probably know someone who has been, social media etc - it's a something that isn't scary and now on "to-do" lists. Hence the scrum for tickets. And, once you've been, you may well get bitten by the bug and want to go every year. Other festivals aren't something to boast about - there are a lot of people who just want to say they've been.

50th will be the same scrum the odds might be slightly worse but not that much worse.

Glamping/Campervan - I used to CV because I liked the idea of comfort. But now I'm in general population because I've got my tent just about as comfortable as anywhere - I've a trolley full of crap that keeps me cosy. Also, a clean long drop at 7am in the rain - makes you appreciate being alive!

9 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Not everyone is hit by the bug, I know of a few people who went once and are not really bothered about going back again.

Someone mentioned it yesterday and I was gonna comment, that out of all my friends, every single one got the Glasto bug. Most of them are going every year, and if not, they definitely go back at some point.

But we’re from the ‘northest of north’, nowts exciting happening here apart from Kendal Calling (been once and it doesn’t appear to me age wise), Beatherder (which I love and go every year) and couple of local festivals, which are good, but nothing that you’ll crave for a year! 

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

it's a something that isn't scary and now on "to-do" lists. Hence the scrum for tickets. And, once you've been, you may well get bitten by the bug and want to go every year. Other festivals aren't something to boast about - there are a lot of people who just want to say they've been.

Sorry for double posting, but THIS!

12 hours ago, Simsy said:

I'm guessing the struggle to sell out in 2008 was at least partly due to the credit crunch - if you're facing redundancy or your house is being repossessed are you going to fork out hundreds for a festival? So all we need is another financial crisis and you're not going to get 2 million people trying for tickets.

Will the 50th anniversary will affect demand? Surely the only people who care that it's a big one are the ones who are interested in Glasto and would be trying for tickets anyway? Unless they announce 3 massive headliners before T-Day.

And that 05 and 07 were bad weather years would have put a few off from returning! I had a break back then as well.

I wonder if another back - to - back bad weather set of festivals would have similar impact now?

12 hours ago, Simsy said:

I'm guessing the struggle to sell out in 2008 was at least partly due to the credit crunch - if you're facing redundancy or your house is being repossessed are you going to fork out hundreds for a festival? So all we need is another financial crisis and you're not going to get 2 million people trying for tickets.

Will the 50th anniversary will affect demand? Surely the only people who care that it's a big one are the ones who are interested in Glasto and would be trying for tickets anyway? Unless they announce 3 massive headliners before T-Day.

Well let's not forget brexit next year... That in itself may(prob will) cause a financial chaos of sorts which could lead to the same effect in ticket demand as 2008

10 hours ago, Nice hymer said:

Yep, I make it about £870 for us this year (120+245x3).

Once our youngest needs a ticket, we'll probably start working the festival again. Haven't worked it for years but sometimes miss the interaction you get from helping out, saving a few hundred quid would be good too!

.....and of course you can take your CV to most of the worker’s campsites without having to worry about booking & paying for a pitch either!

I think the rise of glamping options is also quite relevant. Back in the day, a lot of people just 'weren't festival people' and would not have considered it due to the perceived hardships of camping. Glastonbury specifically had a reputation for terrible toilets - I'm going back to early 2000s/late 90s here - often the toilets were the first thing people would mention if you said you were attending. But now the pool of people it would appeal to has been dramatically widened by glamping options (and much improved toilet provision). This has happened across the festival market, not just G. Festivals are now a mainstream activity whereas back then they were much more associated with hippy type people or scruffy students.

• Upvote 1