How much crazier can it get!

The other Bellboy

2 hours ago, glastolover19 said:

Here's a idea why don't you buy both tickets in resale instead of letting someone with a ticket spend the next 6 months fretting about getting a cv ticket. 

I think that argument works both ways. If someone is "fretting" about getting a campervan ticket - suggesting they wouldn't want to do the festival otherwise - then maybe they should get both tickets in the resale too? Instead of buying the entry ticket then "fretting" over if they can get a camping pass or not. 

15 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Having got lucky this year by a kind person on here, I am ecstatic and enjoying everything about the build up to June 2019.  But at the back of my mind, I am also thinking that I can't continue to get lucky.  And if I don't get a ticket for 2020, whilst I will be gutted, I will look into what other festival to try and grin and bear it.  In that respect, it's almost a dilemma to know there is the April resale, because you don't know whether to go for other tickets or hang on in there and see if you can get them later.  Obviously it's always the latter.

I think my luck will run out every year, I'll treat 2019 like it's my last one for a while and I'm at peace with that. Plan has always been to do up to 2020 then take a break for a few years until the kids are old enough to appreciate and understand it. Given how crazy the last few sales have been and the fact that you seem less likely to get a ticket than not I'll enjoy next year and if I get one for 20 it'll be a bonus.

Edited by Hugh Jass

55 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think that argument works both ways. If someone is "fretting" about getting a campervan ticket - suggesting they wouldn't want to do the festival otherwise - then maybe they should get both tickets in the resale too? Instead of buying the entry ticket then "fretting" over if they can get a camping pass or not. 

But surely the person who has a ticket now is going to be fretting more then the person who might get a ticket later? Sorry but there is countless posts across this site where people who have tickets are worried about cv tickets because they need them for whatever person/medical reasons. I just don't get why you'd get one before you even have a ticket,Cart before the horse springs to mind

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2018 at 5:04 PM, Johnnyseven said:

Re CV tickets. I think the issues of buying them are due to people who didn't get GA tickets also trying for them hoping they are successful in the resale. Essentially creating double the demand than can actually be satisfied.

Yes I agree with you on that, GFL need to return to the system of selling them when the balance is paid!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, glastolover19 said:

If you don't have a ticket for the festival itself then no sorry you shouldn't get a cv ticket until you have one otherwise your taking it away from someone who does have a ticket in the small hope your get it in the resale. Here's a idea why don't you buy both tickets in resale instead of letting someone with a ticket spend the next 6 months fretting about getting a cv ticket. Also can you explain to me your definition of Glastonbury spirit in this instance?

That ticket will go to someone else either way, it won't go to waste. 
I'll let you define the glasto spirit, since you are obviously the lover...

6 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

won't those caravan tickets get to someone that wants them in the end anyway ? maybe less fretting but we all fret about different things in the lead up anyway ... and there are other options although maybe not quite so comfortable 

Exactly... the ticket has been bought by someone who has a valid ticket, not sure what the issue is..

6 hours ago, glastolover19 said:

Possibly after a mad scramble come April. I just don't get why you'd get 1 before you actually have a ticket. Just seems a touch selfish to me 

Selfish? You don't know my circumstances or the scenario, or the end outcome.. who are you to judge?

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

^^ Spot on

3 hours ago, glastolover19 said:

But surely the person who has a ticket now is going to be fretting more then the person who might get a ticket later? Sorry but there is countless posts across this site where people who have tickets are worried about cv tickets because they need them for whatever person/medical reasons. I just don't get why you'd get one before you even have a ticket,Cart before the horse springs to mind

And you don't know my circumstances...

1 hour ago, StoneCircle said:

Yes I agree with you on that, GFL need to return to the system of selling them when the balance is paid!

Personally I think the balance should be paid at time of sale, sod this deposit system ;) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What are the reasons there's a ticket sale in October, it doesn't make sense to me. You buy a deposit then nothing happens for another six months. Its a quite stressful experience especially if you don't bag a ticket an have to wait 6 months for the resale. 

Bring back April tickets sales I reckon

1 minute ago, dingbat2 said:

What are the reasons there's a ticket sale in October, it doesn't make sense to me. You buy a deposit then nothing happens for another six months. Its a quite stressful experience especially if you don't bag a ticket an have to wait 6 months for the resale. 

I’d imagine GFL need some cash coming in. And I think there’s a tax reason.

Well for me I scored a ticket and am celebrating the 50th anniversary since I went to Woodstock. I’m psyched as this has been on my bucket list for some time. I registered 4 years ago. For me Glastonbury represents the nearest one can come to the spirit and vibe of Woodstock albeit more organized and not 500’000 strong. I guess the stars were aligned as I scored my ticket solo 5 min. after they went on sale! Cheers! Can’t wait!

Edited by Jduncan51
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, duke88 said:

I’d imagine GFL need some cash coming in. And I think there’s a tax reason.

I've heard that before but I don't buy it. Its just not significant enough, its only 20% of the ticket price so wouldn't make a great deal of difference, and I don't think that GFL think that way. The cost of admin in having two sales probably is more than any tax/VAT benefit from getting the cash in early. Might be cashflow benefit to pay acts up front, but I doubt that as well, the festival doesn't need to do it

6 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I've heard that before but I don't buy it. Its just not significant enough, its only 20% of the ticket price so wouldn't make a great deal of difference, and I don't think that GFL think that way. The cost of admin in having two sales probably is more than any tax/VAT benefit from getting the cash in early. Might be cashflow benefit to pay acts up front, but I doubt that as well, the festival doesn't need to do it

£6.75m is not an insignificant sum

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Paul ™ said:

That ticket will go to someone else either way, it won't go to waste. 
I'll let you define the glasto spirit, since you are obviously the lover...

Exactly... the ticket has been bought by someone who has a valid ticket, not sure what the issue is..

Selfish? You don't know my circumstances or the scenario, or the end outcome.. who are you to judge?

^^ Spot on

And you don't know my circumstances...

Personally I think the balance should be paid at time of sale, sod this deposit system ;) 

Sorry but what has your circumstances have to do with you being selfish or not? Also the point that it's been brought by someone with a valid ticket is completely irrelevant,seeing as it was brought for you,someone without a ticket. Personally I just don't think it should be able to happen it the first place,I don't care that you personally are doing it,just I think their shouldn't be the option to do it,the accommodation in my opinion should be sold along side tickets on t-day. 

46 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

It gets the sale in early, so nobody sees the other festivals' lineups and decides to spend their festival budget elsewhere. It also gives people on a budget who aren't the best at saving without an incentive a few months to save the ticket price. That's the rationale given by Michael in 2008. 

It's one of the advantages of being able to sell out without revealing the lineup - you can leverage that to sell out earlier, thus further increasing your chances of selling out. And, as @kalifire pointed out, 2009 took more time to sell out than in 2008, I.e. mkrt time that would have been available if they went on sale later*.

Plus, the 6.75M is pretty nice extra cash-flow for the festival prep, that's some interest not being paid on loans. And the tax benefits are not to be sniffed at, particularly on a fallow year - some of the income for 2019 is now in 2018.

It's a pretty clever move IMHO, there are many advantages to the festival. There's no way they're going to revert it, I certainly wouldn't if I was in charge. It arguably saved the festival in 2009.

* I know the ticket sales probably would have increased closer to the festival, but having that extra time to sell tickets can only help.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

7 hours ago, glastolover19 said:

Sorry but what has your circumstances have to do with you being selfish or not? Also the point that it's been brought by someone with a valid ticket is completely irrelevant,seeing as it was brought for you,someone without a ticket. 

Is it being selfish hedging my bets on getting a festival ticket?

Is that any different to people paying for a deposit on a ticket that they know they might not even go but get one 'just in case'.

Knowing if I don't get one in resale, I'll still be able to secure one anyway with other means. Therefore still using the CV pass anyway.

What if it was my wife who bought it in her name, for us both to use? Perhaps she has a ticket and I dont.?

Or she wouldn't go on her own in the van, so we would need one and hope I get a ticket?

Or perhaps she wouldn't tent it on her own and can't drive, so would need one if I got a ticket?

None of that is the case, but don't be so quick to judge people based on little or no info. 

Edited by Paul ™

4 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Is that any different to people paying for a deposit on a ticket that they know they might not even go but get one 'just in case'.

Knowing if I don't get one in resale, I'll still be able to secure one anyway with other means. Therefore still using the CV pass anyway.

What if it was my wife who bought it in her name, for us both to use? Perhaps she has a ticket and I dont.?

Or she wouldn't go on her own in the van, so we would need one and hope I get a ticket?

Or perhaps she wouldn't tent it on her own and can't drive, so would need one if I got a ticket?

None of that is the case, but don't be so quick to judge people based on little or no info. 

Well no-one is ever going to know individual circumstances, but try and look from another perspective. You have a ticket but as you have no camper van you want to hire one because your wife won't camp. Before you pay a deposit you want to be sure you have a spot to put it. CV tickets sell out, you don't get one. You can't wait till April resale as all vans will have been hired out by then. If only someone buying in their ticket in the resale had waited to buy their cv ticket.

You could both go on and on with what it's, but I get where @glastolover19 is coming from. I also get that unrequired cv tickets will go back in the pot eventually for someone who wants it, so not like goes wasted.

4 hours ago, Paul ™ said:

Sorry but I don't know why your using hypothetical reasons as an argument? Like I said previously which you seemed to ignored,I don't care about you personally getting a cv ticket this way,it's the system that sucks not you. At the end of the day I'm not your conscience,if you're happy to do that then great but personally I wouldn't especially when I've read people on here genuinely concerned about getting the cv ticket and giving serious thought about not going as the don't have one. As for judging you,I didn't think I did and I'm sorry you feel that way but with all respect you judged me on my 1 comment which was "it shouldn't be allowed to happen"

On 10/29/2018 at 5:31 PM, Paul ™ said:

This is what we have done (by using someones details who has a ticket) and if we get resale tickets or sorted out another way, then they will travel in with us on the Tuesday. 

Didn't even occur to me you could buy camper van tickets without having a festival ticket. Makes sense though, on the other side of the coin my sister's bought a camper van ticket but hasn't bought a camper van yet.. She may use it and get set up on the Tuesday, she may get a refund in April.. Good to have options anyway, I've booked a couple of free cancellation hotel rooms in Taunton for the Tuesday which should hopefully make Wednesday travel less of a pain in the arse. We'll see eh, and good luck getting tickets. 

12 hours ago, dingbat2 said:

This time last time, Radiohead had already been announced. Reckon we could be looking forward to an announcement around this time. Think part of the reason for the sale in October is due to the anticipation it builds up, people will have been speculating over the lineup before the sale even happened on here eh. I'm skint and shit with money so I'm grateful for the deposit scheme too, I only just paid my deposit on Friday just gone. If I had to make a £250 outlay in the middle of the month, I'd be a bit buggered and a £200 outlay isn't that much easier but at least I've got a few months to put a bit aside for it. That said, maybe it's more of a happy coincidence than out of any real consideration for people who do struggle to afford it.

I blame Go Sober for October.... allied to the T-Day stress.

i gave up until the 3rd when I just felt punchy with the most decent of people...it’s not worth it.

all over these forums there are good people, who make positive contribution, that just need to breathe...

its November tomorrow.... I will let them have a beer and come back Friday.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

I blame Go Sober for October....

look, if we're going to be having an ever-growing number of 'sober' months, I think it's only right and proper that there's some specially-designated 'get utterly pissed' months too.

And no, they're not allowed to be the months where we're doing that anyway, like in December for xmas and June for Glastonbury. They need to be different months.

:P 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

look, if we're going to be having an ever-growing number of 'sober' months, I think it's only right and proper that there's some specially-designated 'get utterly pissed' months too.

And no, they're not allowed to be the months where we're doing that anyway, like in December for xmas and June for Glastonbury. They need to be different months.

:P 

Get on a Bender for November.?