whos coming to west campervan field with me

youngatheart2

• 3 weeks later...

I’m feeling very excited as this year I have hired a camper and secured West CV ticket! Never stayed in a camper or caravan before and can’t wait to experience the festival slightly differently. 

My camper is effectively a tent on wheels, no leisure battery sadly. But it had a gas powered fridge and cooking equipment. 

My reason for doing it is the lure of being able to arrive a day earlier and therefore maximise the experience, as well as not having to face the queuing/carrying that Wednesday brings. I’ve paid my dues by tenting since 2007 I reckon. 

Who knows, maybe I will hate it but I hope not. 

Getting slight FOMO however about East CV ...

someone reassure me that West is Best!

14 minutes ago, Skoo said:

My camper is effectively a tent on wheels, no leisure battery sadly. But it had a gas powered fridge and cooking equipment. 

all you need is a bed, something to make tea on, and something to keep milk/beers cold. :) 

(tips: cool the beers before you put them in the fridge, else it'll take forever to cool them. Also, freeze the milk).

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

all you need is a bed, something to make tea on, and something to keep milk/beers cold. :) 

(tips: cool the beers before you put them in the fridge, else it'll take forever to cool them. Also, freeze the milk).

Thanks Neil :) We have a little camping stove, so I think we'll do our cooking on that outside the van as don't fancy stinking the thing out. 

One thing I need to sort out is a gazebo, as this one doesn't have an awning. That and a decent ground sheet pegged in and I think we'll have a nice little setup.

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

My reason for doing it is the lure of being able to arrive a day earlier and therefore maximise the experience, as well as not having to face the queuing/carrying that Wednesday brings. I’ve paid my dues by tenting since 2007 I reckon. 

Who knows, maybe I will hate it but I hope not. 

Not having to get up at stupid o'clock to queue really is a game changer. There's a lovely apprehensive / excited vibe in the camper fields on that Tuesday evening. Admittedly having always been in the east camper fields the elevation of them allowing a look over the site as the sun sets on the Tuesday is special and i'm not sure you get that on the west side however it'll be amazing none the less for you.

The thing I have most enjoyed since making "the switch" is taking the mornings at my own pace rather than being right in the thick of it from the moment my eyes are open. The cooking breakfast thing saves about £40 - £50 as well because you aren't overpaying for bacon sandwiches etc.

I'm not aware of anyone who has gone back to camping having been in the camper fields but i'm sure there will be some.

Edited by JoeyT

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

Not having to get up at stupid o'clock to queue really is a game changer. There's a lovely apprehensive / excited vibe in the camper fields on that Tuesday evening. Admittedly having always been in the east camper fields the elevation of them allowing a look over the site as the sun sets on the Tuesday is special and i'm not sure you get that on the west side however it'll be amazing none the less for you.

The thing I have most enjoyed since making "the switch" is taking the mornings at my own pace rather than being right in the thick of it from the moment my eyes are open. The cooking breakfast thing saves about £40 - £50 as well because you aren't overpaying for bacon sandwiches etc.

I'm not aware of anyone who has gone back to camping having been in the camper fields but i'm sure there will be some.

I feel a bit of sentimental attachment towards tenting, and if I could do CV field in my trusty tent I would. The whole thing for me is the queuing etc. Never used to bother me but past couple of years it's destroyed me on the weds.

VERY excited, it's all getting a bit real now!

Hopefully we can have little West camper van meetup.

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

My 5th festival last year and I camped for the first time, had always been in rented motorhomes and shared the overall costs with the rest of the group. Since there was only me and a mate we camped. 

This year there's a big group of us again and I've actually bought a campervan so it's back to the CV fields for us. 

But if I was on my own or just with a pal I'd save the money and camp. 

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

see... They dont even have sunset on the west side..!

what kind of a world do they have over there..??!!

5 hours ago, Skoo said:

Getting slight FOMO however about East CV ...

someone reassure me that West is Best!

I stayed in CV East 05 and 11. Then CV West 14,15,16,17.

Personally I love the vibe I get in CV West. For me its as much a part of the whole festival enjoyment as anything else I do. I don't mind the fact it's a fairly long walk from anywhere. Most Glastonbury's I just wander around and see where it all takes me, so being nearer a particular stage or area is irrelevant.

For the first time, Glastonbury this year will be with children, so we are (finally after Saturdays resale) in CV East because we do need to be near things like the Kidz Field, T&C etc.

So it will be interesting to see how CV East takes me this time round, but for the moment (IMHO) West is Best :D

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd revive this thread now we're getting close - would be great to have an unofficial efests meet in West CV on the Tuesday eve! I'll be bringing a BBQ and a selection of beverages if anyone would like to swing by!

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

Thought I'd revive this thread now we're getting close - would be great to have an unofficial efests meet in West CV on the Tuesday eve! I'll be bringing a BBQ and a selection of beverages if anyone would like to swing by!

How do we find you?

8 minutes ago, timbrass said:

How do we find you?

Great question! We are hopefully arriving by 2pm latest so will hopefully be parked up reasonably near the front. Perhaps I will just post in this thread a location once we're parked up!

45 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Great question! We are hopefully arriving by 2pm latest so will hopefully be parked up reasonably near the front. Perhaps I will just post in this thread a location once we're parked up!

Probably need a flag or a banner of some sort....

Also drop a pin onto Google Maps once you park up (hold down finger in app) and share that pin.   Should be accurate to within a couple of pitches

Edited by timbrass

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

you could download what3words app and post that location ... thats very accurate 

Will be in West...first time in a campervan.. we are bringing our 5 year old and 2 month old (first time with kids as well) so thought the campervan option would be best...planning on getting there around 4pm ish!! Does anyone know if this will be a very busy time? Definitely BBQ and beer time...be lovely to meet the new neighbours

Yay, few more west crew here.

Also never used a campervan before and will be completely clueless I'm sure - particularly worried about the use of levelling blocks, so need to watch some YouTube tutorials before we get there.

3 hours ago, Skoo said:

Yay, few more west crew here.

Also never used a campervan before and will be completely clueless I'm sure - particularly worried about the use of levelling blocks, so need to watch some YouTube tutorials before we get there.

If they are the ramp type you just put them under the front wheels (you will be pointing downhill) and drive slowly forward and upward.  You might need a couple of boards underneath to spread the weight if the ground is soft and the vehicle heavy.  I assume it's a hired one?