Woodstock Alumni

Jduncan51

Cheers! I’m a Woodstock 69 alumni, so to speak, and got my ticket for Glastonbury! Have not been to a large outdoor festival since Woodstock and for me Glastonbury has been on my bucket list as a way to celebrate my 50 years of survival since then! Would love to connect with any others that were at Woodstock who might be at Glastonbury. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Jduncan51 said:

Cheers! I’m a Woodstock 69 alumni, so to speak, and got my ticket for Glastonbury! Have not been to a large outdoor festival since Woodstock and for me Glastonbury has been on my bucket list as a way to celebrate my 50 years of survival since then! Would love to connect with any others that were at Woodstock who might be at Glastonbury. 

Wasn't born in '69, but respect! And welcome. There's a few posters on here who've been around a while, and hopefully some more will come out of the Wood-(stock)-work for you...

I was listening to Sly & The Family's Woodstock set just the other day, marvellous stuff.

I was 18! Just graduated from high school! 3 friends and I heard there was a concert in New York and as I had a Plymouth Valient we bought tickets and headed there on Thursday. Couldn’t get within 5 miles so we had to dump the car beside the road and hike in. By the time we got there it was a free festival and I threw my ticket away! Would have been a nice souvenir now! As strange as it seems we left early Sunday as one of my friends had to be at work on Monday. Missed Hendrix and the rain! To be honest the only act I vividly remember Creedence Clearwater Revival. The rest was a psychedelic blur! ?

• Like 1

One of my friends went to 99 and said how bad it was! The spontaneity of Woodstock was a huge part of what made it so special! Glastonbury seems to have much of the same spirit and vibe although much more organized. I can’t wait to experience it.

4 minutes ago, Jduncan51 said:

One of my friends went to 99 and said how bad it was! The spontaneity of Woodstock was a huge part of what made it so special! Glastonbury seems to have much of the same spirit and vibe although much more organized. I can’t wait to experience it.

You're just gonna love it. You should come to the efestivals meet on the Wednesday. :D 

27 minutes ago, Jduncan51 said:

I doubt If many others in attendance next year will have been to the original Woodstock festival. Glastonbury is still very special - despite its huge size and popularity it doesn’t have the overly commercial feel that many other festivals have. 

I’ve seen a few of the Woodstock acts at Glastonbury over the year; Joe Cocker, Joan Baez etc. Quite a few of us would love Santana to play Glastonbury, one day maybe. Did you ever get to see Hendrix play elsewhere?

28 minutes ago, Jduncan51 said:

I was 18! Just graduated from high school! 3 friends and I heard there was a concert in New York and as I had a Plymouth Valient we bought tickets and headed there on Thursday. Couldn’t get within 5 miles so we had to dump the car beside the road and hike in. By the time we got there it was a free festival and I threw my ticket away! Would have been a nice souvenir now! As strange as it seems we left early Sunday as one of my friends had to be at work on Monday. Missed Hendrix and the rain! To be honest the only act I vividly remember Creedence Clearwater Revival. The rest was a psychedelic blur! ?

Hi I saw John Fogerty on West Holts some years ago, he was talking about his Woodstock memories and it was a great performance. Finished one song, switched guitars and straight into the next, fantastic. What made the evening even more insanely amazing was walking a few hundred yards to the Other Stage straight after and seeing The Stooges, complete with original line up and stage invasion. Another year I walked past Joan Baez along the top of the Pyramid Stage field as Leonard Cohen was playing on stage, she was just strolling along with one companion and no-one seemed to recognise her. One of those 'did that just happen ?' moments.  Only at Glastonbury. You're going to have an incredible time.    

I stand to be corrected by JDuncan but my rosy-tinted image of Woodstock was rather shattered at the Shepton Mallet festival in 1970 where there were quite a lot of people from the US who'd been at Woodstock.  Some Americans in the next tent asked us if we could let them have some sugar for their coffee, so we gave them some.  "How much do you want for it?" they asked.  We replied, nothing, it was just sugar and they were welcome.  They were amazed and said that at Woodstock everyone had been charging everyone for anything they could.  Our neighbours may not have been typical Woodstock goers but it was a bit of a shock to hear their account.

I must confess I took a hit of acid shortly after getting there and being a newbie to LSD it was an extremely intense trip! I was totally in another place visually and mentally. I was walking through the woods at the side of the hill. It was a long path with tables set up on both sides with people selling drugs, crafts, whatever. As the acid kicked in the trail of people moving along started to feel like a stream of rushing water going faster and faster! I felt like I was in the whirlpool of water in a bathtub and I had to fight against the stream so as not to be sucked into oblivion! I turned and ran in the opposite direction fighting against the current of people going the other way. I must have looked pretty strange fighting my way against the flow! I remember coming out of the woods at the top of the hill looking down towards the stages and Creedence Clearwater was playing “Bootleg”. I stumbled into the crowd in a surreal scene of bodies everywhere and laid down flat on my back. Suddenly I felt stabbing pains in my back and the ground became like an Indian Nail Bed and the spikes went through me and came out of my chest. Eventually things mellowed out and I survived but trust me it was a life changing event for me. A year later when I was studying psychology I wrote a paper describing the experience and described how in retrospect the trip was a visual representation of my battle for individuality and fighting against being lost in the masses. I got an A on the paper. He was very cool teacher!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jduncan51 said:

I was at IoW in '70, where we attempted to create a British Woodstock. Glastonbury 2017 was my first outdoor festival since then and now I can't stop, 3 festivals this year & planning on 5 for next year. It would be great to meet up and have a chat, come to the meet.

I think you'll love Glastonbury.

That would be nice! I’ve booked my bus leaving London Noon Wed. I plan on trying to get a podpad in Worthy View now on Sat. I’m going solo as my wife is not a festival person. We will be traveling from May to Sweden where she is from and my son lives, to the Shetlands and then London. I am retired and in good physical shape considering. I bike 15 or so miles a day when the weather allows. Can’t lug camping gear from the states. Any tips on the camping scene?

6 minutes ago, Jduncan51 said:

Street photography is my thing so I’m sure I’ll be in “image heaven” there! Here’s a shot from the Portland, Maine Pride Parade this summer.

E0EF347E-9C02-4D88-B7ED-8B5F96945038.jpeg

that's earnt you the first of many upvotes .. there are some great photos on the photography thread ...look forward to seeing some of yours after the festival ... and yes its a great setting for incredible photos 

edit sorry second upvote :) 

Edited by crazyfool1

This is a lovely thread...been buzzing since I realised I'd be coming along for a second time after last year and this is really putting me in the mood. Look forward to more info on the meet as we progress. I went to the WFTPU last year but not for too long. Think your bar meet is a better idea.