Away from the main stages/areas, what are your favourite places?

Keithy

1 minute ago, vintagelaureate said:

I spent the Wednesday lying in the shade of the acoustic tent, heavily sunburnt from the queue!

In our search for the stone dragon we did come across a lot of shade, but it was all taken. I think a lot of people might have found the stone dragon totally by accident that day! 

This won't help anyone, but in 2017, I decided to make Dizraeli in the Rumshack my Saturday night headliner. No regrets - he was fantastic. That meant I could catch the start of the Foos, then make my way over to the SE Corner. I ended up wandering an eerily empty site as most people were ready for the main stage acts, and happened upon a tiny little tent/open van type place which was made up to resemble somebody's living room.

There, a lone female guitarist was entertaining maybe 15 people, settled on sofas and armchairs. She was no Foo Fighters, no Alt-J, and no The Jacksons, but she was gently and deliberately enjoying her moment, soaking up this opportunity to express her creativity to anyone who cared to listen, and the people around her - bimblers who'd somehow found this tiny venue and chose to stick - were having a great time. Where nobody else chose to be. In the middle of a valley. In Somerset. And I'll tell you this, it was fucking awesome.

Edited by kalifire
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

This won't help anyone, but in 2017, I decided to make Dizraeli in the Rumshack my Saturday night headliner. No regrets - he was awesome. That meant I could catch the start of the Foos, then make my way over to the SE Corner. I ended up wondering an eerily empty site as most people were ready for the main stage acts, and happened upon a tiny little tent/open van type place which was made up to resemble somebody's living room.

There, a lone female guitarist was entertaining maybe 15 people, settled on sofas and armchairs. She was no Foo Fighters, no Alt-J, and no The Jacksons, but she was gently and deliberately enjoying her moment, and the people around her - bimblers who'd somehow found this tiny venue and chose to stick - were having a great time. Where nobody else chose to be. In the middle of a valley. In Somerset. And I'll tell you this, it was fucking awesome.

The Peoples Living Room? Often wandered there myself a little later than your good self, but I have seen someone do a Stevie Wonder set on the piano in there. A little gem of a place

34 minutes ago, Quark said:

There's a little bar in there, can't remember if it's booze as well but I got my tea there. Got a little seating area as well, or you can wander off and find somewhere a little quieter.

It was a cracking place to sit in the shade on Wednesday last year, every bit of shade was taken!

I quite like pottering around the green fields-ish areas at night- the walk up from the unfair ground, through the green crafts and around croissant neuf area, then to the green futures/healing fields at night, when its quiet, I quite like for some reason- I like the lighting and some nice places to sit down

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I ended up wandering an eerily empty site as most people were ready for the main stage acts, and happened upon a tiny little tent/open van type place which was made up to resemble somebody's living room.

1 hour ago, Hotchilidog said:

The Peoples Living Room? Often wandered there myself a little later than your good self, but I have seen someone do a Stevie Wonder set on the piano in there. A little gem of a place

Funny story about this place actually.... I too came across it in 2016 and loved it. I think it was also when we'd gone down to the SE Corner early on the Friday because none of the headliners grabbed us. Stumbled across a guy in there doing jazz piano covers of popular songs. Due to the state I was in at the time, I subsequently wondered if it had all been a dream and had no idea how we had found him... 

Flash forward to Boomtown 2018 and my friend and I had just enjoyed a random band doing covers in a wild-west style in Copper County. After it was finished we wandered over towards Old Town, and I was telling her how much I loved the random things you stumbled across at festivals, and relayed the story of the jazz piano man and his covers of Gangsters Paradise etc. Less than five minutes later, we walked through a door in old town, straight into a slightly bigger room made up to look like a living room, and there was the exact same man playing the exact same jazz covers on what looked to be the exact same piano.

Good job I was nowhere near as ruined when I stumbled across him the second time or it could have really spun me out :lol:

12 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Funny story about this place actually.... I too came across it in 2016 and loved it. I think it was also when we'd gone down to the SE Corner early on the Friday because none of the headliners grabbed us. Stumbled across a guy in there doing jazz piano covers of popular songs. Due to the state I was in at the time, I subsequently wondered if it had all been a dream and had no idea how we had found him... 

Flash forward to Boomtown 2018 and my friend and I had just enjoyed a random band doing covers in a wild-west style in Copper County. After it was finished we wandered over towards Old Town, and I was telling her how much I loved the random things you stumbled across at festivals, and relayed the story of the jazz piano man and his covers of Gangsters Paradise etc. Less than five minutes later, we walked through a door in old town, straight into a slightly bigger room made up to look like a living room, and there was the exact same man playing the exact same jazz covers on what looked to be the exact same piano.

Good job I was nowhere near as ruined when I stumbled across him the second time or it could have really spun me out :lol:

That is WAY too much of a coincidence! Very spooky indeed. Thank goodness you were in your right mind and not completely spangled.

Always found myself back at Avalon for a few hours at some point every day. Love the Avalon Inn. 

Stone circle on Wed night/Sunday morning for the sunrise is a ritual. 

Also, there is also a great little tipi rave we found on the last night of 2017 heading up to worthy view. 2am.. classic house... in a big tipi style tent... with a juice bar next to it... random but a lot of fun. 

Crawled into a well sculpted, seated cave with walls and ceiling covered in multicoloured lights around green futures on the sat in 2017.  Had a bag full of spirits so our group decided to make a few cocktails whilst we were holed up. Had a fairly decent portable speaker with us so had ourselves a little hot chip vs lcd sound system party. Got a bit raucous in the end with some strangers joining us. Nearly stayed in too long and turned full Gollum.

Lovely viewing spots to watch everyone gearing up for Saturday around that area.  Loved green futures that year definitely becoming one of my favourite places.

66CB8D24-0978-484C-8E48-F5D23E0A62C1.jpeg

Edited by lobo

1 minute ago, Little Andy said:

In 2016 I think, near Arcadia, I stumbled upon some little towers which you could plug your iPhone into and pump your own music out of them! So I became DJ for a bit and at one point had about 30 people dancing away! That was quality! Dunno if it was still there in 2017?

Great idea. What did you play then? Really hoping it was something well out of place for Arcadia...

2 hours ago, Little Andy said:

Ye there was lots of Jamie T which I think I embarrassingly 'rapped' along to, and some Arctic Monkeys and the like. 

Hahaha. Nothing wrong with that mate. Jamie T is a fine choice. I’d had done the same with some 90’s hip hop if I’d stumbled across it 

20 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

Mandala Stage is my go to stage on Wednesday/Thursday. Tucked away from all the madness, it’s a small cycle powered tent that features some very shambolic space rock bands and acoustic artists. The people that run it are bloody lovely as well! 

Paging through, seeing if anyone has mentioned Mandala - might have known it would be you, Mr Blackhole, a man of impeccable taste. Who would want to be in anyone else's company but Melissa and Colin (officially the nicest bloke on the planet) before doing the famous Train of Thought dance while Whimwise knacker out the car batteries that have been drafted in cos no one had been on the bike. Fabulous place with fantastic, warm friendly people, all off their box as the schedule goes merrily into the bin - oh, and lets not forget Nik Turner's jam - three hours of parping on the sax along with all his mates - priceless.

This time next June we must make a point of introducing ourselves - Lord knows we'll be the only people in the audience!

9 hours ago, Quark said:

There's a little bar in there, can't remember if it's booze as well but I got my tea there. Got a little seating area as well, or you can wander off and find somewhere a little quieter.

It does indeed sell a range of alcoholic beverages, I quite like that little bar, nice, relaxed spot.

47 minutes ago, westholtschic said:

As been said before the Brothers Bar on a Wednesday afternoon, the Silent Disco on Thursday night and my favourite bar, the one opposite Williams Green tent on the corner. Plays some excellent old soul, funk, disco etc. Love an afternoon dance in there.

Ah yes forgot that bar.  One of my pals has a video clip he reckons is one of his favourites from the fest, of me properly dancing to Harry Belafonte's "Jump In The Line" on a Wednesday afternoon :D Great shout

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Havors said:

Also, there is also a great little tipi rave we found on the last night of 2017 heading up to worthy view. 2am.. classic house... in a big tipi style tent... with a juice bar next to it... random but a lot of fun. 

Sounds like the tent/bar/cafe at the back of Pennards Hill by the Tipi Village. There was a bar/cafe there called Bedouin in about 2008/2009 but I don't know what it's called nowadays.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Sounds like the tent/bar/cafe at the back of Pennards Hill by the Tipi Village. There was a bar/cafe there called Bedouin in about 2008/2009 but I don't know what it's called nowadays.

Yeah it was up in the tipi field... gonna try find it again next year