Away from the main stages/areas, what are your favourite places?

Keithy

There's probably a similar topic squirreled away in the forum but thought I'd start a new one as I'm too lazy to search it out.

So, forgetting about all the main stages/areas and the obvious places like Underground Piano Bar, Rabbit Hole, Stone Circle and Glastonbury sign, etc, what are everyone's top 3 favourite spots or places to be or even time at Glastonbury?

For me:

1. Crows Nest in the evenings. Great little tent, always some great music on, acts you'd never have a chance to normally see in such a small place. Slight ramshackle feel to it and a great view of the festival when you're stood outside having a drink, waiting for the band. Bands hang around a bit outside too. Had great fun there in 2017 with Confidence Man, Lemon Twigs and Girl Ray. Year before was Jagwar Ma and bumping into Hinds. Remember some crowd surfing the year before that.

2. Thursday night. Weds is great for the catch up, relaxing after the trek in and the 'back at glastonbury' feeling but for me Thursday evening is when the festival really starts going. You can feel the atmosphere go up a few notches as everyone is heading off to see something rather than a 'Wednesday bimble'. Real buzz about the place, especially around Williams Green, Avalon, Park.

3. Toad Hall. Nice rugs to lie out on and have a proper relax. Good chance of some nice folk music going on. Had a great nap in there once. People who run it are really friendly. Just a great little venue in the Green Fields. (Do need to find the bar in Green Fields next year!)

Honourable mentions to Lulu's Cafe (haven't been for a while as camp in Paines now but was a cracking breakfast and cuppa) and 7pm-8pm at the back of the Pyramid Stage as you're passing through; field is getting full, you get a great vista down towards the Pyramid stage and it just feels 'proper Glastonbury' and you know there's no place in the world you'd rather be at that moment.

Ooh nice. Mmmkay....

1. Baggy Mondays @ Stonebridge (Thu) Like you with Thu night, for me this is the when the festival really starts kicking in. I don't care how clichéd the tunes are or how many times it's been done, there is very little to compare with getting a pint from the bar and belting out I Am The Resurrection with your Glasto crowd for the first singalong of the weekend (especially if it's really the only time you all get together) with the sun still shining but getting a little low in the sky. Magic.
  2. Tiny Tea Tent. There are more chilled out places on the site of course, but when I need to take a moment to just stop the world spinning, sit down and take stock to give my brain a chance to reset, TTT is the only place to go. And in the complete opposite to Baggy Mondays, this is best for me as a solitary affair. A sit down with a proper mug of tea, not rushing to a stage or trying to have a conversation or dance or anything. Just sitting back with a cuppa and letting the world wash over you for a bit. Wonderfully restorative.
  3. Big Easy Jam. OK so you hear some absolute nonsense, but that's what's so wonderful about it.  Just watching people pick up whatever instrument's there and having a crack is just great.  Seeing a mix of people who clearly know their music and have some skills sharing an impromptu stage with a pissed bloke who's found some maracas and thinks he's Bez is so much fun.  If you get your timing right and there's a decent crowd on there, it's a great place to stop and have a beer. Or join in..

Ultimate Power @ Williams Green (Thu) The cheesiest way to kick off day 2. Last year it was simply amazing, from the opening notes of Don't Stop Believing as the safety tape was bring removed from the entrance the tent just went ballistic. It was as much as a gig, the crowd were just screaming every song back at the dis who milked every moment as if they were on the Pyramid. Just brilliant. First encountered this at the Stonebridge Bar in 2009 (I think) but now seems to have moved to Williams Green.

The Viewing Area - anytime Fri-Sun, 2am-5am (technically Sat-Mon probably....) - I always have a few hours up there, when its busy at the stone circle, and the Glastonbury sign on either side the serenity of this area always strikes me as out of place.  For me there is nothing better than sitting on the grass, watching the madness unfold below and taking in the beautiful view across the valley.  It always takes my breath away.  Also, I have been known to do forward rolls all the way down the hill. 

Edited by stuwilky

Block 9 Friday afternoon

the place is empty , well apart from me and a few mates raving away, some decent stuff playing , normally techno and the bar is empty . More stewards than punters. every year this is where you find me Friday afternoon 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

New York Brass Band's 12pm set on the Thursday. Can tell everyone's got Wednesday travelling excursion out if their systems, the band are great and everyone is down for a drink and a boogie. Also it's Thursday so you get the great feeling of lunchtime drinking and partying whilst everyone's still at work on the outside, safe in the knowledge you've still got 4 full days of shenanigans ahead.

Wheel of Four Tunes on Sensation Seekers, one of those cabaret sort of acts where no-one actually knows what the fuck is going to happen but everyone knows it's going to be a raucously good party nonetheless. Just has that vibe where you know you're in amongst people who are happy to have an awesome time even if you're dancing to a dubstep remix of Walking In The Air in the middle of summer.

Edited by kingbadger

Dont know if it counts as away from the main stage as its technically at a stage, but I love sitting on the grass around West Holts, with a pint of brothers on Wednesday, tent all pitched and all excited for the next 5 days. great for people watching as someones usually trying to climb the flags. The atmosphere is great.

We usually head up to the hill after and thats where it starts to go down hill so to speak.

Another one for the crows nest as well, seen TOY, Jagwar Ma and Lemon Twigs in there.

We usually end the festival up there, nice to sit on the hill and pop in and out. 

Had a wonderful moment in the crows nest during the headliners where a lovely woman made me a cup of peppermint tea and brought me a slice of cake and I watched gruff Rhys setting up all of his own electronic gear for the gig that followed half an hour later. It’s a fabulous little venue 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

New York Brass Band's 12pm set on the Thursday. Can tell everyone's got Wednesday travelling excursion out if their systems, the band are great and everyone is down for a drink and a boogie. Also it's Thursday so you get the great feeling of lunchtime drinking and partying whilst everyone's still at work on the outside, safe in the knowledge you've still got 4 full days of shenanigans ahead.

Wheel of Four Tunes on Sensation Seekers, one of those cabaret sort of acts where no-one actually knows what the fuck is going to happen but everyone knows it's going to be a raucously good party nonetheless. Just has that vibe where you know you're in amongst people who are happy to have an awesome time even if you're dancing to a dubstep remix of Walking In The Air in the middle of summer.

I loved the Wheel of Four Tunes in 2016 - I remember taking some friends along and I had sort of explained some of it to them  When the guys came on, my friend said to me "you didn't say they were dressed as Power Rangers" and I replied that I thought she would have just taken that as read of course!

Anyway I returned in 2017 and found the sound was really quiet - I had left it a bit late and was a little way back and couldn't really hear what was going on which was disappointing.  But I'll try it again next year.

Love, love Strummerville.  Happened to time it right the first time I went so that the bonfire was just being lit.  No great ceremony or anything but I was pleased to witness it.  It's my place of choice if I need to chill.  

I found a nice place in I think the Green Fields last year to eat.  It had paths leading through trees and nature areas etc and was a really nice place to sit and eat veggie food - no idea what it was called but will definitely return next year especially if we have a sunny year.  

So many other areas I could name - I just love strolling around.

5 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I found a nice place in I think the Green Fields last year to eat.  It had paths leading through trees and nature areas etc and was a really nice place to sit and eat veggie food - no idea what it was called but will definitely return next year especially if we have a sunny year.  

So many other areas I could name - I just love strolling around.

That sounds like Permaculture, at the far end of Green Futures. Path leads you back onto the old railway track.

There's a similar place up by the new JP area...the wood I think it's called.

1 minute ago, Keithy said:

That sounds like Permaculture, at the far end of Green Futures. Path leads you back onto the old railway track.

There's a similar place up by the new JP area...the wood I think it's called.

That's the place!  For some reason I don't think I went to JP in 2017 so I'd already decided I must visit next year so I will look out for the place in the wood too - it didn't really live up to its potential in 2016 did it?

6 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I'm not sure if I've even heard of that!  Please tell me more!

it wasn't there last time  ... it has lots of people dressed as skeletons dancing around and involving the crowd congas lots of stuff like that  and a tree growing up in the main room ... face painting in a coffin ... its located in the common and I think someone said they will be returning next year .. out the back is a secret room and garden  (which im not telling you about ) and has the bonus of toilets so dont need to leave and reenter when having fun .. its just an odd place and makes me laugh at the weirdness of it all :) 

Edited by crazyfool1

1 hour ago, shuttlep said:

Block 9 Friday afternoon

the place is empty , well apart from me and a few mates raving away, some decent stuff playing , normally techno and the bar is empty . More stewards than punters. every year this is where you find me Friday afternoon 

Sounds good to me, good tip! See you there!

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

it wasn't there last time  ... it has lots of people dressed as skeletons dancing around and involving the crowd congas lots of stuff like that  and a tree growing up in the main room ... face painting in a coffin ... its located in the common and I think someone said they will be returning next year .. out the back is a secret room and garden  (which im not telling you about ) and has the bonus of toilets so dont need to leave and reenter when having fun .. its just an odd place and makes me laugh at the weirdness of it all :) 

And does all this madness happen in the early hours?  or at all times?

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

we have been sort of earlyish in the past maybe 10 pm but its hazy the times but definitely been in there on the thurs eve and probably the wed too 

That sounds promising then - I don't really last through the night  - I can only usually last until about 2 and the SE corner doesn't really do it for me at that time.

4 hours ago, Keithy said:

2. Thursday night. Weds is great for the catch up, relaxing after the trek in and the 'back at glastonbury' feeling but for me Thursday evening is when the festival really starts going. You can feel the atmosphere go up a few notches as everyone is heading off to see something rather than a 'Wednesday bimble'. Real buzz about the place, especially around Williams Green, Avalon, Park.

The monumental crowds which converge on WG on late Thursday afternoon/evening has ruined this part of the festival for me. I hope Glastonbury do something to address this, even if it means getting rid of the unannounced acts altogether.

My personal favourite, which has only recently emerged over the last few years, is The Wood. Love how tranquil it can be despite being positioning between two major stages, which you'd never know were there. Lovely new addition.

4 hours ago, Hotchilidog said:

Ultimate Power @ Williams Green (Thu) The cheesiest way to kick off day 2. Last year it was simply amazing, from the opening notes of Don't Stop Believing as the safety tape was bring removed from the entrance the tent just went ballistic. It was as much as a gig, the crowd were just screaming every song back at the dis who milked every moment as if they were on the Pyramid. Just brilliant. First encountered this at the Stonebridge Bar in 2009 (I think) but now seems to have moved to Williams Green.

I was probably running next to you straight to the front when the tape came down! Loved it, a real highlight. Someone on here recommended it. Am hoping they are there again next year!

13 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

13 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Will add this to my list!

The Copperdollar place was fantastic in 2016, a real highlight, but as @crazyfool1 says, wasn’t there last time. They did post a comment on FB about hoping to be back in 2019, so fingers crossed.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

12 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

The. Copperdollar place was fantastic in 2016, a real highlight, but as @crazyfool1 says, wasn’t there last time. They did post a comment on FB about hoping to be back in 2019, so fingers crossed.

Oh that would be amazing. My favourite late night haunt.