Respect the Females (and other rules)

kalifire

7 hours ago, MetaKate said:

I actually make a point of trying to meet/engage with everyone around me. It feels amazing to be dancing around people you've met to some extent and know theres a connection so it wont be a problem. Once in a while it doesnt work, and I have people look at me like I have horns, but its worth the effort. If I'm in area where everyone is looking at me like I have horns, then I move to an area with better vibes!

Depends on the gig and what mood I'm in tbh. A lot of the time I'm just there for the music and my own company, but the you see a band with a bit of a cult following like Dub Pistols or Skinny Lister and it's hugs and singalongs all round

8 hours ago, StupidDream said:

This happens at about every other gig I go to, and always try to stand my ground. 

I often go to gigs with a friend of mine and afterwards we always discuss the people in the crowd surrounding us, and how annoying they were. It has sort of become part of the experience. We do share a healthy hate for people in general - thank god we have music :P

Ah, the people crust formers.

If everyone moves freely and no one stands their ground, focus on the music not the knob head,  then that makes a perfect gig.

People who think they have a right to a spot at a gig and never move create a crust that spoils the whole place for everyone behind them. Arms folded, might as well be sat chairs. Ugh.

1 minute ago, hfuhruhurr said:

If everyone moves freely and no one stands their ground, focus on the music not the knob head,  then that makes a perfect gig.

People who think they have a right to a spot at a gig and never move create a crust that spoils the whole place for everyone behind them. Arms folded, might as well be sat chairs. Ugh.

Well, of course I am not that static :lol: Only if other people come barging in late or somehow feel entitled to your spot/stand in your personal space. Especially if you made the effort to get a good spot. I can be a bit of a pushover in general, so it's also a small personal victory :)

For most festival sets it's different, I'm more considered/care a bit less, try to love all people.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Should probably clarify. If it's a gig with movement in the crowd then it's all good and no issues there. It's when there's nothing really happening and/or there's acres of room and someone just plants themselves in your space it's a bit much.

But yeah, the ones who get front and centre for the main set and then stand with their arms folded while everyone tries to dance around them....bleurgh

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It was there last year - there was just less crimson-faced gammonry about it from the Jonathan Pie and Brendan O'Neill types.

https://www.facebook.com/events/309796009462120/?ti=cl

Ok,I didn't hear about it last year so wasn't sure if it was there. I don't want to be drawn into the politics of it tbh was just curious to what happened

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

It was there last year - there was just less crimson-faced gammonry about it from the Jonathan Pie and Brendan O'Neill types.

https://www.facebook.com/events/309796009462120/?ti=cl

You mentioned Jonathan Pie earlier in this thread, and I withheld comment as I wasn't sure what you meant.  Now it's clear what you think of him, I'll chip in my 2p:

The guy behind the Jonathan Pie character isn't a new Bernard Manning.  If you want to accuse him of sexism/misogyny, you'll need to argue your case.  Although he will occasionally throw sexist, racist and homophobic language into the script, it's always to make the counter-point.  One of his main themes is that progressive politics has descended into a witch-hunt against any of its own who don't conform to a narrow set of norms.   As a result, it's made the Daily Mail mantra of 'political correctness gone mad' seem like reality, thereby pushing people into the arms of the alt-right. Hence Trump/Brexit etc. 

With his ideological background, I'm 100% certain, he'd support any initiatives to protect/empower women, including safe spaces at festivals.  But I'll shut up and let the man speak for himself.

11 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

You mentioned Jonathan Pie earlier in this thread, and I withheld comment as I wasn't sure what you meant.  Now it's clear what you think of him, I'll chip in my 2p:

The guy behind the Jonathan Pie character isn't a new Bernard Manning.  If you want to accuse him of sexism/misogyny, you'll need to argue your case.  Although he will occasionally throw sexist, racist and homophobic language into the script, it's always to make the counter-point.  One of his main themes is that progressive politics has descended into a witch-hunt against any of its own who don't conform to a narrow set of norms.   As a result, it's made the Daily Mail mantra of 'political correctness gone mad' seem like reality, thereby pushing people into the arms of the alt-right. Hence Trump/Brexit etc. 

With his ideological background, I'm 100% certain, he'd support any initiatives to protect/empower women, including safe spaces at festivals.  But I'll shut up and let the man speak for himself.

I think the "feminist interview" was a rare misstep for the man, but I agree, he's no gammon. Neither the character nor the creator.

I'm well aware of Pie's genesis and who his writers are, thanks. I'm also aware that I don't particularly care for comedians like them, or say Fin Taylor who's act revolves round 'puncturing liberal sensibilities' by aping the arguments of the genuine right while doing nothing but misrepresenting their targets.

On 10/25/2018 at 8:39 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Maybe The Glade was 2016 and it was R&F in 2017? Might have been actually. I seemed to spend most of last festival at the Ridge And Furrow.

Ridge and furrow 2015

Glade 2016

Mik artistic at Gateway then onto R&F then Dustys table for mead 2017