Respect the Females (and other rules)

kalifire

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Near The Glade this year, Ridge and Furrow the year before.

3 hours ago, H.M.V said:

First year was around the bins at Avalon. Cracker that. Last couple of times in the Ridge and Furrow. 

See here's the problem. I went to the NYBB set at the riser! We need to actually have a bloody consensus on where we're meeting!! 

Hey @JayBalls!! Remember last year at the meet up when we saw that couple loitering on the periphery so I went and brought them over to the group? Couple from Israel...Itay and Tali? They got tix for next year!! Hopefully they'll be there on the Wednesday again :D (Not sure what their usernames are on here)

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

See here's the problem. I went to the NYBB set at the riser! We need to actually have a bloody consensus on where we're meeting!! 

Oh we were there as well? Fucking hell, who organised that shambles? It was Glade and NYBB cos we found Guy there. Myself and @Curlygirl nabbed him. 

I was sure we ended up in the Ridge and Furrow but goes to show my feeble mind. Was that 2015 and 2016. I'm so confused. Trying to remember if I could sit down or not. 

47 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Oh we were there as well? Fucking hell, who organised that shambles? It was Glade and NYBB cos we found Guy there. Myself and @Curlygirl nabbed him. 

I was sure we ended up in the Ridge and Furrow but goes to show my feeble mind. Was that 2015 and 2016. I'm so confused. Trying to remember if I could sit down or not. 

I think R&F was 2015/2016. Where is the riser? I remember meeting shit load of people watching Mik Artistik just before the meet at The Glade. Was that the riser, or something else? What's NYBB? Proper confused now ?

54 minutes ago, Pear_Cider said:

Hey @JayBalls!! Remember last year at the meet up when we saw that couple loitering on the periphery so I went and brought them over to the group? Couple from Israel...Itay and Tali? They got tix for next year!! Hopefully they'll be there on the Wednesday again :D (Not sure what their usernames are on here)

Of course how could I forget those beautiful people they lost their bags turned up with nothing and managed to get said bags back (witnessed in my time on ped gate B) so glad they're both back and of course they'll be there :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Maybe The Glade was 2016 and it was R&F in 2017? Might have been actually. I seemed to spend most of last festival at the Ridge And Furrow.

Thought that way myself considering we spent a lot of that time together. :D

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think R&F was 2015/2016. Where is the riser? I remember meeting shit load of people watching Mik Artistik just before the meet at The Glade. Was that the riser, or something else? What's NYBB? Proper confused now ?

52 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Right, Glade meet was 2016 because I ditched my crowd to come find you, but couldn't find anyone. Went on as there was something happening at Croissant Neuf bit couldn't find anyone there either.

Last year was supposed to be NYBB on The Gateway stage (I think of it as a riser so my bad) but I don't think may turned up there, so I think we wandered back to R&F. I clocked @guypjfreak loitering on the edge so completely respected his right to anonymity by barreling over and saying hi. Gumby dished out some mead. The we ended up on Dusty's table chucking limes about, and it all went pear-shaped after that.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Right, Glade meet was 2016 because I ditched my crowd to come find you, but couldn't find anyone. Went on as there was something happening at Croissant Neuf bit couldn't find anyone there either.

Last year was supposed to be NYBB on The Gateway stage (I think of it as a riser so my bad) but I don't think may turned up there, so I think we wandered back to R&F. I clocked @guypjfreak loitering on the edge so completely respected his right to anonymity by barreling over and saying hi. Gumby dished out some mead. The we ended up on Dusty's table chucking limes about, and it all went pear-shaped after that.

That is quite accurate. 

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Was it?? I ran into loads of people there and I thought it was a coincidence. I just wanted to see Mik. Then we all went en masse to R&F for the proper meet. 

7 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Thought that way myself considering we spent a lot of that time together. :D

I'm going to take that as a compliment ?

I still don't know what NYBB stands for.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

Was it?? I ran into loads of people there and I thought it was a coincidence. I just wanted to see Mik. Then we all went en masse to R&F for the proper meet. 

I'm going to take that as a compliment ?

I still don't know what NYBB stands for.

I'm still confused as to the proper arrangements. 

Always take it as a compliment

NYBB = New York Brass Band ( can hear you kicking yourself from here)

3 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I'm still confused as to the proper arrangements. 

Always take it as a compliment

NYBB = New York Brass Band ( can hear you kicking yourself from here)

I think I missed them because I was at the official unofficial eFests NFR NFC meet at the Ridge and Furrow, just next to The Glade, sat at Dusty's table with a lime on top of my five hats, whilst drinking mead and watching Mik Artistik give everyone a high five. 

I had a ball on the Thursday last year! ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think I missed them because I was at the official unofficial eFests NFR NFC meet at the Ridge and Furrow, just next to The Glade, sat at Dusty's table with a lime on top of my five hats, whilst drinking mead and watching Mik Artistik give everyone a high five. 

I had a ball on the Thursday last year! ?

It was a cracker! I'm sure I did a detour to the med tent for sunstroke. 

3 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

It was a cracker! I'm sure I did a detour to the med tent for sunstroke. 

I had a run of 2 or 3 festivals where my weekend wasn't complete without a trip to the medical centre. I think I went 3 times in 2004, that's when I got sunburnt so badly I needed to wear a bucket hat underneath my wide rimmed hat to protect my weeping sores. And the rest was history...

@Zoo Music Girl, @kalifire, @SwedgeAntilles, @Hugh Jass, @vintagelaureate do come to the meet. Last year was my first Glastonbury and I was doing it solo. I was very nervous about going to the meet. The nervousness lasted about 30 seconds. Everybody was so friendly and not at all cliquey (probably the thing I was most nervous about) and I met some lovely people.

As @Tranquility of Solitude said though, avoid @Curlygirl's Cherry Bakewell vodka; delicious and lethal in equal measure.

Sorry to revive this because it's all rather depressing but I've just noticed that Sir (why!!) Philip Green after being accused of multiple sexual harassment and bullying allegations chooses to say that he “categorically and wholly denies” any suggestion he was guilty of unlawful behaviour. Note that he doesn't deny the allegations, only that what he did wasn't criminal, this perfectly illustrates the entitlement that so many men feel.

It is no wonder that some women become "shouty" when having to deal with shit like this every day. Jo Brand said it well when she was putting down Ian Hislop, "Actually, for women if you’re constantly being harassed, even in a small way, that builds up and that wears you down.”

The #MeToo movement has highlighted many of the issues and given women the confidence to speak up and to be believed. There will however be  a backlash, especially when we have a moron who boasts of sexually assaulting women and getting away with it in the White House and we have a female politician (Margaret Beckett) in this country declaring that Brexit is more important than dealing with harassment in parliament, from men who fear that they have something to lose.

The "Sexual harassment of women and girls in public places"  report from the parliamentary  Women and Equalities Committee published this week,  has as it's opening conclusion:

"Sexual harassment affects the lives of nearly every woman in the UK. Most experience harassment at some point; many start to experience it when they are still children, and are harassed so frequently that it becomes a routine part of everyday life. Even when sexual harassment is not taking place directly, memory or fear of it affects women’s behaviour and choices and restricts their freedom to be in public spaces. This is not acceptable, and women and girls should not be expected to endure it. It should matter to us that women and girls are respected, not forced to change the way they live to avoid daily sexual harassment and abuse. The Government has a responsibility to show leadership in eradicating sexual harassment and making public places safe"

Because it is men who need to address their behaviour, until men, and particularly men with power, start speaking out against the behaviour and attitudes of their fellow men and holding them to account then I fear progress will be very slow. It has been heartening to see the positive attitude of almost all the male contributors to this thread, I can only hope that this attitude is more widespread than I suspect.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

Sorry to revive this because it's all rather depressing but I've just noticed that Sir (why!!) Philip Green after being accused of multiple sexual harassment and bullying allegations chooses to say that he “categorically and wholly denies” any suggestion he was guilty of unlawful behaviour. Note that he doesn't deny the allegations, only that what he did wasn't criminal, this perfectly illustrates the entitlement that so many men feel.

It is no wonder that some women become "shouty" when having to deal with shit like this every day. Jo Brand said it well when she was putting down Ian Hislop, "Actually, for women if you’re constantly being harassed, even in a small way, that builds up and that wears you down.”

The #MeToo movement has highlighted many of the issues and given women the confidence to speak up and to be believed. There will however be  a backlash, especially when we have a moron who boasts of sexually assaulting women and getting away with it in the White House and we have a female politician (Margaret Beckett) in this country declaring that Brexit is more important than dealing with harassment in parliament, from men who fear that they have something to lose.

The "Sexual harassment of women and girls in public places"  report from the parliamentary  Women and Equalities Committee published this week,  has as it's opening conclusion:

"Sexual harassment affects the lives of nearly every woman in the UK. Most experience harassment at some point; many start to experience it when they are still children, and are harassed so frequently that it becomes a routine part of everyday life. Even when sexual harassment is not taking place directly, memory or fear of it affects women’s behaviour and choices and restricts their freedom to be in public spaces. This is not acceptable, and women and girls should not be expected to endure it. It should matter to us that women and girls are respected, not forced to change the way they live to avoid daily sexual harassment and abuse. The Government has a responsibility to show leadership in eradicating sexual harassment and making public places safe"

Because it is men who need to address their behaviour, until men, and particularly men with power, start speaking out against the behaviour and attitudes of their fellow men and holding them to account then I fear progress will be very slow. It has been heartening to see the positive attitude of almost all the male contributors to this thread, I can only hope that this attitude is more widespread than I suspect.

Sometimes words speak volumes, as is the case here. Very eloquent, and helpful. 

7 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

How many men? All of them? A few of them? You're referring to a small minority of men who are twats. Don't go down the road of presenting this as a problem that is normalised across all of male culture. Phillip Green is a horrible character, When I read the story I knew I'd heard his name, he was the guy who tried to swindle BHS staff out of their pensions. 

I agree with the sentiment here, women should never feel their freedom in public spaces, or any spaces for that matter, to be infringed upon relative to men. The problem is widespread, but it is not as far as the world I live in anyway, an everyday occurrence for all women, all of the time. In 10 years with my partner she has been sexually assaulted once, which is one time too many. 

Well as a man I know I don't need to adjust my behaviour. But I also know I would speak out straight away and stop, apprehend etc anyone who was doing this shit in public. And that is the opinion of the overwhelming majority of men...we don't treat women like shit and if anything a mans first biological instinct is to protect them. 

I found this video interesting from the perspective of social structures, men and women, propositioning women etc. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Losing my hair said:

oh c'mon. Did you expect him to say "fair cop, guv"? :P 

It's got fuck all to do with 'male'. It's everything to do with him being a ****.

38 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

The problem is widespread, but it is not as far as the world I live in anyway, an everyday occurrence for all women, all of the time.

We're not saying that women are getting sexually assaulted every time they leave the house, but like the Jo Brand quote upthread says, it's the constant small things that build up. Like being whistled or honked at when you walk down the street, the sleazy comments when you dare to wear a skirt to work, the guy pressed up against you when the train isn't actually that busy, having your ideas dismissed at work then repeated by a man who takes credit for it, getting your arse grabbed at a gig, the "locker room bants" in the office etc.

If you live in a world where this shit doesn't happen constantly, I'm jealous.

• Upvote 7

4 minutes ago, Simsy said:

We're not saying that women are getting sexually assaulted every time they leave the house, but like the Jo Brand quote upthread says, it's the constant small things that build up. Like being whistled or honked at when you walk down the street, the sleazy comments when you dare to wear a skirt to work, the guy pressed up against you when the train isn't actually that busy, having your ideas dismissed at work then repeated by a man who takes credit for it, getting your arse grabbed at a gig, the "locker room bants" in the office etc.

If you live in a world where this shit doesn't happen constantly, I'm jealous.

Yeah, and much to my shame, jokes about the van are included in the above.

• Upvote 1