Respect the Females (and other rules)

kalifire

3 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

Speaking of Beastie Boys - they said it pretty well... 

"I want to say a little something that's long overdue / the disrespect to women has got to be through / To all the mothers and the sisters and the wives and friends / I wanna offer my love and respect 'til the end"

Saw them when I was 14. Now that was a formative gig experience! 

I love old school hip hop and if I wasn't so crunchy I would be well up for learning a bit of breakdancing for the craic and horror of being the mental irish aunt spinning on her back. :D

Beasties have always had a special place in my heart. ❤️ 

24 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Very jealous!  I wasn't even on his shoulders!  He just lifted me so that I could experience what it was to be 6 foot!  I too have never been on shoulders - that must be awesome!  If I promise to lose weight before June so that I'm less than 10 stone, have I got any offers?

I'm 6"1 and was stood by someone who was significantly smaller watching Pearl Jam at Leeds some years ago - she was absolutely desperate for a better view, so somehow ended up on my shoulders for a few songs. She was made up!

1 minute ago, vintagelaureate said:

I'm 6"1 and was stood by someone who was significantly smaller watching Pearl Jam at Leeds some years ago - she was absolutely desperate for a better view, so somehow ended up on my shoulders for a few songs. She was made up!

I don't want to even sit on the hubs shoulders, just cos I'm scared of heights especially when I have no control so stood on a chair or on someones shoulders, they don't come with rails. I just want that shoulder crack where I can see shit on the stage from time to time other than the screens. 

1 minute ago, vintagelaureate said:

Ironically my now 6ft son has been on the shoulders of someone when he was 12 and significantly smaller!  Not fair!  But fair play to the stranger who put him on his shoulders at V during Streets (even though he was very pissed/stoned and I should probably have been more worried about the welfare of my son!)

Respect the right to be naked. Anywhere around the festival...

In the good old days I and others did this. Not now though. The camera phones don't bother me (I do hen party life modelling as both naked art tutor and model so am used to that). It's the security people who have ruined it. They just don't get that there is actually nothing untoward about nudin up... It's just a bit of fun and self expression ?

3 hours ago, H.M.V said:

I don't want to even sit on the hubs shoulders, just cos I'm scared of heights especially when I have no control so stood on a chair or on someones shoulders, they don't come with rails. I just want that shoulder crack where I can see shit on the stage from time to time other than the screens. 

That's is, genuinely, one thing I try to be aware of - how I will affect others around me. If there is anyone significantly smaller than me, I always ask if I'm in the way. I also tend to get to sets a little early so that people can position themselves accordingly! ? I make it sound like I'm humongous - I'm not, I'm normal size!

3 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Ironically my now 6ft son has been on the shoulders of someone when he was 12 and significantly smaller!  Not fair!  But fair play to the stranger who put him on his shoulders at V during Streets (even though he was very pissed/stoned and I should probably have been more worried about the welfare of my son!)

Some experiences (and memories) are worth the risk ? as long as the guy didnt fall into a k-hole ?

My wife is 5ft 1 and I’m constantly tapping people on the shoulder asking them to shift a little bit so she can see better.

I’m not especially tall (5ft 10) but have horrific luck in that wherever I said at a gig Lurch from the Addams Family seems to turn up and stand right in front of me just at the start.

Was at Idles last week and had a pretty good spot towards the back, then some guy turns up my exact height and stands six inches in front of me. More to the point he was wide, like unnaturally wide. His head was twice the width of mine meaning I was craning around the fucker to get a view. My wife found it hilarious. I gave up and moved after a couple of songs.

15 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Latitude has reusable plastic pint cups, charged £2 deposit for the first one, take it back and swap it next time. Plus you can't take in your own drink so no cans.

Glastonbury have these plastic cups but only at crew bars (I think), @glasto-workercould give you chapter and verse on why they're not more widely used. 

There are the metal pint pots but I think the bar staff still pour into a proper cup and transfer over, this thus making them a waste of time.

its a dead issue now because GFL rejected the whole issue when the WBC floated the idea to them ' many years ago ' - as you know it was all politics why they rejected the idea - its their festival so they can impose what they want.

The WBC set up the English Company that produces the reusable plastic pint cups because while it was a good idea ' the fact that they all had to be shipped back to Germany for sterilization was a major flaw ' so they had to do a deal with the German company that holds the patent. 

I am in two minds over the metal pint pots due to ' Weights and Measures  rules and regulations ' hence why bars could not pour direct into the metal pint pots.

Yes I am aware that some bar staff  may have been trying to cut corners by pouring it in direct ' but they risk being closed down if they are caught.'

Perhaps GFL will go full circle and accept that reusable plastic pint cups is the answer but it will be a expensive option due to the fact they don't have a sterilization plant onsite so its a major undertaking and then there is the advert issue so at the end of the day it will all boil down to Money.  

I have my doubts over the claimed plastic bottle ban unless they are prepared to search every bag before people enter - you can just imagine how long that could take.

time will tell what happens.

7 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

I have my doubts over the claimed plastic bottle ban unless they are prepared to search every bag before people enter - you can just imagine how long that could take.

time will tell what happens.

I think there's been an update on the "plastic ban". It's a ban on single use plastics being sold, which makes much more sense than a blanket ban.

Presumably, this excludes not only bottled water, but Coke and other pop.

21 hours ago, Blisterpack said:

Because disrespecting women because they are women is a thing really, whereas disrespecting men because they are men isn’t. Showing respect generally is obviously a good thing, but for the sake of this discussion then misogynistic behaviour awareness on the part of men would be something I would put right up there alongside not pissing in bushes. Higher probably. 

I think you've been spending too much time in the Guardian Opinion section. Of course disrespecting men is a thing, a good example is the current wave of rabid feminism! 

• Downvote 5

20 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think there's been an update on the "plastic ban". It's a ban on single use plastics being sold, which makes much more sense than a blanket ban.

Presumably, this excludes not only bottled water, but Coke and other pop.

if it doesn't include the cups used at the bars it's not a single-use ban.

16 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I think you've been spending too much time in the Guardian Opinion section. Of course disrespecting men is a thing, a good example is the current wave of rabid feminism! 

Whereas you've been spending too much time watching P*ers M*rgan by the sound of it :rolleyes:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I think you've been spending too much time in the Guardian Opinion section. Of course disrespecting men is a thing, a good example is the current wave of rabid feminism

Really?

Does it make you scared to go outside?

Does it make any men scared to go outside?

Edited by HalfAnIdiot

16 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

‘The current wave of rabid feminism’. Seriously? That is something you think?

Do you think that there is no difference between the experience of men and women at a festival such as Glastonbury? I’d read back on this thread a bit if I were you. 

20 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I'm sorry, is women wanting to be treated equally disrespecting you?  

We didn't realize, we'll all stop wanting to feel safe. 

37 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

You seem to be confusing rabies and equality, it can happen all too easily if you're a bit tipsy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MetaKate said:

I'm sorry, is women wanting to be treated equally disrespecting you?  

We didn't realize, we'll all stop wanting to feel safe. 

Finally, someone who can see it from our point of view!! :P

It's about time men had a voice

Edited by Quark