Campervan fields distance to festival?

Lins42

Hi Glasto newbie here!

Thinking of taking our caravan but have heard sites are a long walk into the festival  grounds how true is this and how long does it take? Actually considering Love fields extortionate prices to overcome this! Also are their facilities for water and waste?

Thanks

Hi

It depends which CV ticket you get.  CV west has an entrance directly into the festival, you'd be 10-15 mins walk from the Park/Arcadia which is the nearest bit of the festival. 

Not sure about CV east as not really been out that way. 

Theres water points at both but not waste disposal. 

Alternatively you can get Bath & west showground tickets which is a 24hr shuttle bus ride away to gate A, which is then probably 10 mins walk to JP tent or 15 to Pyramid. But i believe there's proper loos and showers there. 

Not sure where Love Fields is, but if its outside gate D, its still a long walk. Everywhere is to be honest. 

55 minutes ago, bexj said:

Not sure about CV east as not really been out that way. 

Theres water points at both but not waste disposal. 

the closest bit of East CV fields is almost as close as Love Fields. The furthest away bit isn't.

I'm pretty sure there's toilet waste disposal at East (never used West) ... tho as my CV doesn't have a bog I've never used it. Seen plenty of people emptying tho.

Depends as others say. Can be a 5 minute walk or a 25 minute walk. I got stung in E17 before which is a 25 minute walk to the gate. So, if you're watching a gig in The Park and want to nip back to the van, thats a 90 minute + solid walk for a round trip back to the van. 

We've tented it since. 

4 hours ago, Lins42 said:

Hi Glasto newbie here!

Thinking of taking our caravan but have heard sites are a long walk into the festival  grounds how true is this and how long does it take? Actually considering Love fields extortionate prices to overcome this! Also are their facilities for water and waste?

Thanks

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

the closest bit of East CV fields is almost as close as Love Fields. The furthest away bit isn't.

I'm pretty sure there's toilet waste disposal at East (never used West) ... tho as my CV doesn't have a bog I've never used it. Seen plenty of people emptying tho.

26 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Depends as others say. Can be a 5 minute walk or a 25 minute walk. I got stung in E17 before which is a 25 minute walk to the gate. So, if you're watching a gig in The Park and want to nip back to the van, thats a 90 minute + solid walk for a round trip back to the van. 

We've tented it since. 

If you are really worried about how far you have to walk Glastonbury probably isnt the festival for you tbh....

If you park in East CV, then The Park/JP is a massive trek.. however, Acoustic, C&T, WH and Avalon are right there.. and vice versa for parking in West CV. You pays your money...

In 9 festivals camping in East i have only once decided/needed to nip back to the van and that was a Sunday when i decided to get everything packed up so that we could leave Sunday night.. 

both water and waste are in the CV fields... between 8-11am there will be queues particularly for water...

Love Fields are the other side of the hedge from E20/E21 on the festival map and they look very sw*nky if you have the cash...

My advice would definitely be to go for Love Fields... If you want it cheaper then go after CV West.

CV East is absolutely rubbish and i would not recommend anyone going after a ticket for there on Sunday...  at least not before 11am :ph34r:

2017v1map.png

Thanks for all the advice.  I’m thinking of going for CV fields and getting there on Tuesday when it opens to hopefully get a decent spot not to far off. (If I can get a ticket!!)  That way I can save some pennies to spend at the festival as Love fields doesn’t seem to offer much extra for the money tbh. 

I'm always in East, have always found water and waste available. Often queues for the water earlier in the day, if you're lazy and like a lie in like me that can be advantageous. 

I always take a day bag with any water, booze and layers for later so that I'm not going back until the end of the day, but then I've had years that I've rented caravans and I think they put us furthest most years to punish our capitalist botties. 

E21 and probably E20 are crew fields i believe and so verbotten to joe public (someone on here more knowledgeable than i will respond i am sure...)

E19/23/24&25 are described on this years info page as 'quiet' but previously as family... The filling up of the field isnt always as logical as you would think and you can just as easily be parked up closer when arriving late..

None of the walks are really that bad really though.. i measure them by alcohol consumption capability before reaching the main gate.. The closer fields are a one cider walk, the further ones are a two cider walk...(they will of course be the fruity style 'breakfast ciders'...?)

enjoy the walk... it is bound to be beautifully sunny anyhow.!

19 minutes ago, marathonsteve said:

On my paper map from last year E21 is showing as Campervans & Caravans.

indeed it is... It is the field that the hill of death is on. My understanding is that it is a crew field though..

i certainly dont think that regular punters get in there.

The campervan fields are a bit of a trek in and out. You do need to plan your day because going back for something is a bit boring. Using the lock ups is key. We drop all our stuff off for the day in the morning and then go and get what you need. You can Lea e spare clothes, chairs, booze, whatever then there's no need to schlep back to the camper. 

I echo @BlueDaze above. It's a walk measured in cans! I find those G&t cans particularly nice but you always need two. 

I've never found the walk a problem, in fact it's a really nice warm down in the evening making me ready for bed.  

Edited by semmtexx

10 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Always been several waste disposals in East, near loos.

1 hour ago, BlueDaze said:

indeed it is... It is the field that the hill of death is on. My understanding is that it is a crew field though..

i certainly dont think that regular punters get in there.

I have a blurry recollection (most of my recollections are blurry) that there was also some kind of disability/medical requirements section in E21 too.  

Also, I was in the corner of E17 in 2017 - cant get much further from the gate.  Its a gentle 20 mins stroll down to gate C.  I measured it on google as about 1.3km as we walked it.

We always take it easy on the way in as we take a few bags of booze and evening clothes etc to chuck in the lock up to swop at some point later in the day.  Saves a trek back up to the van.

Edited by stuwilky

7 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

E21 and probably E20 are crew fields i believe and so verbotten to joe public (someone on here more knowledgeable than i will respond i am sure...)

E19/23/24&25 are described on this years info page as 'quiet' but previously as family...

E21 (the Hill of Death field) is indeed crew/disabled but E20 was open to the public last year as one of the "family" fields.

I can't see any mention on the website which stipulates which fields are being designated as "quiet", other than the quiet fields will be on the left of blue route. I would imagine that would include E20 again.

14 minutes ago, Pear_Cider said:

E21 (the Hill of Death field) is indeed crew/disabled but E20 was open to the public last year as one of the "family" fields.

I can't see any mention on the website which stipulates which fields are being designated as "quiet", other than the quiet fields will be on the left of blue route. I would imagine that would include E20 again.

Is quiet an option in the ticket buying process or something you just specify on arrival and hope for the best please matey? 

3 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Is quiet an option in the ticket buying process or something you just specify on arrival and hope for the best please matey? 

It was something that you used to ask for up until last year, but then they made Family an option in the process. That will be an option this year but it will be "Quiet", not "Family". See you there! :D 

East Quiet Camping/Hire Pitch (Blue route)
Pitch up to 8m x 7m, for one vehicle up to 8m in length – £120

Suitable for Families, those with access issues and those looking for quiet camping. Situated between Blue route and the Festival site. Turn left for Quiet Camping off Blue route.

East General Campervans (Blue route)
Pitch up to 8m x 7m, for one vehicle up to 8m in length, £120

Situated off Blue route turning right to access the camping fields

2 hours ago, Pear_Cider said:

Right of Blue Route being E14-E18..

Left of being E19-25 (excluding the bastard glamping E22)...

to be honest, you could go into the front of E18 and be closer than you would be if you were in E25... dont fret.

@semmtexxis correct... a walk down in the morning full of anticipation makes it feel short...

a stagger back in the nightime full of Cherry Bakewell or Pineapple Vodka stops it feeling anything...

10 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

How far away is the Showground? I know it's a shuttle bus but how long does it take? Also, on Wednesday morning, do they just drop you off at Gate A and you queue up with everyone else to get wrist-banded?

Yeah, you drop into the Q at Gate A.  But by the time you're up, had breakfast and got your shit together the traffic and que are much better - and you stroll in while everyone is still setting up camp.  

Cheers. We're planning on stopping with someone who's going for campervan but then moving into the festival with our tent on Wednesday so I guess we'll just have to queue. Don't suppose you know how often the shuttle bus runs and what time they start?

Hopefully they'll get one of the other campecampervan fields but they're willing to go for the Showground if the others have gone.

8 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I’m genuinely interested to know if anyone will explain to me- why is CV East so much more popular than CV West?

both can be a long walk from your van to where you want to go on site, but the entrance from East is fairly close to some of the stages - Acoustic, Theatre/Circus, West Holts, Avalon, even Pyramid - while West is a long way to any of the stages (closest are The Park & Other).