Metal/Hard Rock/Alt Rock/Punk at Glastonbury 2019

chatty

11 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Having now seen The Stranglers and (even more unexpectedly) The Dead Kennedys at Glastonbury I'd love to get the full set of my teenage heros and see Stiff Little Fingers on the bill.

Here's hoping.

I was pretty sceptical given the absence of Biafra (saw him with the band an age ago and he was mesmerising) but the new fellow made a good fist of it, I thought.

Its the Damned for me, though - about the same time on the Hell Stage would be the perfect sorbet for all the Glasto fluffiness

12 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Having now seen The Stranglers and (even more unexpectedly) The Dead Kennedys at Glastonbury I'd love to get the full set of my teenage heros and see Stiff Little Fingers on the bill.

Here's hoping.

So I saw Dead Kennedys for the first time at Boomtown - I really think the addition of more metal/punk/ska is great for that festival. However, a few of those kind of acts seemed a bit intimidated at the start, like they weren't quite sure how it was all going to go down, given that it is often thought of as an "EDM" festival. However, everyone that I saw was great and had big crowds :)

The only one that was a bit weird was Dead Kennedys. I don't know what his stage presence is normally like....but despite the fact that the crowd he had was so big people were crowding right outside and couldn't get in, he seemed really annoyed. Started off with some BREXIT chat that seemed to go ok but then took the piss out of everyone, particularly slagging off the fact that everyone there was at an EDM festival, claimed punk was dead blah blah....finally a few people started booing him, and then he got even more shitty and said he was cancelling the show. Started walking off stage and then the last minute came back, claiming his band wouldn't let him walk off...

So the rest of the gig was fine...although by the end the substantially packed crowd he they had had certainly thinned out a but. So I suppose the point of this post is....is he always like that???? Or was he genuinely a bit miffed that his agent had booked him for what seemed to be an EDM festival?

On 10/20/2018 at 8:32 PM, Wherethewildthingsare said:

Queens of the Stone Age please!

They played on 2011. It was brilliant

I'd quite like to see Prophets of Rage. Poor man's Rage Against the Machine yes, but reckon they'd be good fun. 

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

So I saw Dead Kennedys for the first time at Boomtown - I really think the addition of more metal/punk/ska is great for that festival. However, a few of those kind of acts seemed a bit intimidated at the start, like they weren't quite sure how it was all going to go down, given that it is often thought of as an "EDM" festival. However, everyone that I saw was great and had big crowds :)

The only one that was a bit weird was Dead Kennedys. I don't know what his stage presence is normally like....but despite the fact that the crowd he had was so big people were crowding right outside and couldn't get in, he seemed really annoyed. Started off with some BREXIT chat that seemed to go ok but then took the piss out of everyone, particularly slagging off the fact that everyone there was at an EDM festival, claimed punk was dead blah blah....finally a few people started booing him, and then he got even more shitty and said he was cancelling the show. Started walking off stage and then the last minute came back, claiming his band wouldn't let him walk off...

So the rest of the gig was fine...although by the end the substantially packed crowd he they had had certainly thinned out a but. So I suppose the point of this post is....is he always like that???? Or was he genuinely a bit miffed that his agent had booked him for what seemed to be an EDM festival?

He is a bit of a knob seems to be acting the role to me. He not the original lead singer if you weren’t aware. 

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

First Download announcement out. Would like to see a few of these cropping up:

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/18/181023c.shtml

My campaign for Whitesnake on the Pyramid gathers pace!

For Download that is actually a pretty decent announcement. Tool is a real coup. Amon Amarth, Carcass, Opeth, Power trip and one band who definitely could do Glastonbury, Skindred, all makes for a surprisingly refreshing line up. I'm a Bloodstock guy but have to say chapeau to Mr Copping for pulling those metallic rabbits out of his hat.

1 minute ago, Hotchilidog said:

For Download that is actually a pretty decent announcement. Tool is a real coup. Amon Amarth, Carcass, Opeth, Power trip and one band who definitely could do Glastonbury, Skindred, all makes for a surprisingly refreshing line up. I'm a Bloodstock guy but have to say chapeau to Mr Copping for pulling those metallic rabbits out of his hat.

Skindred for JP!  Tapps aff! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

He is a bit of a knob seems to be acting the role to me. He not the original lead singer if you weren’t aware. 

No, I didn't know.....I did kind of wonder how they'd got to be quite so popular if they were always headed by a guy who seemed to be such a dick. But I guess that answers that question :) 

On 10/22/2018 at 9:29 AM, tevaburger said:

with a weakness for Def Leppard from their 1983-90 prime (I still rate Pyromania as my 'ok computer' of hard rock albums) if added to the bill they'd be one I'd definitely go see 3rd or 4th down on the pyramid. 

However, in recent 5+ years, by early to mid June I think they're usually kicking off their summer cash-cow/retirement plan, which is their tour of American outdoor amphitheatres with 15-20K capacities, catching all those 40/50 year olds who made them one of the biggest bands in the US from Pyromania (6 million sold in US in 1983, 35 consecutive weeks in top 10 of album charts, 2 weeks at #2 behind Thriller), through Hysteria. I can't see late June being available for them to be in Europe with this consistent summer schedule of theirs

i love being shown to be wrong in this case, just a day later...

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

No, I didn't know.....I did kind of wonder how they'd got to be quite so popular if they were always headed by a guy who seemed to be such a dick. But I guess that answers that question :) 

Check out Jello Biafra, he does spoken word stuff now. I believe the band split because he wouldn't go down the commercial route and make money from their back catalogue, he's quite a hardcore principalist.

The DK that tour today are really move of a tribute band to my way of thinking. The lead singer is acting 'punk' and not very well. Still, better than nothing. 

Oooh nice to see Skindred announced for Download after including them in my earlier ‘like-to-see’ list. Could it happen....

Also Die Antwoord! Although I have an unfounded feeling they would be either utterly amazing or utterly embarrassing, with no middle ground. I’d still see them though in case it’s the former ?

• 4 weeks later...

Wonder if someone like Batushka would be considered for the Truth stage. The are left field and visual enough to fit in with the vibe of that area. I saw them in Vienna two years ago and they were great. Given that the show is like conducted like a religious ceremony I think they offer the curious festival goer a little something different.

Would absolutely love To see def leapard, iron maiden, skynrid, whitesnake playing, heavy rock that has a wide appeal rather than the ultra heavy thrash stuff.  Even on a smaller stage older bands such as Uriah heep who are still touring would pull in the older metal freaks who arnt  ready just yet to plunk a deckchair down for art Garfunkel. A few classic riffs wouldn’t go amiss!

On 10/23/2018 at 11:32 AM, Sasperella said:

At Glastonbury he did a gag about punk being dead. “The kids over there don’t want new-punk...they want daft-punk”

Older lad who comes with us was a punk and enjoyed it though. I’ll keep an eye out for this thread when line ups out for punk suggestions