Infusions 2019

IntoTheWhite

Following on from, I believe previous threads..... 

Has anyone (like me) started on spirit infusions. Autumn is here and with an abundance of berries this year, I wondered whether anyone had started to mess around with concoctions? With the hope of :-

1. Hoping to secure tickets in the main sale, and not consume in celebration (Thanking the ticket gods) we did. 

2. If started, resisting the temptation to drink over the coming months...... ☺️ 

Have done 3 Gin infusions myself 

1 Elderberry (already bottled). Not sure whether I like this , but have a Elderberry Bush /tree in the garden, so thought "what the heck" 

2. Rhubarb and ginger. Bottled earlier this year. Will not survive festive period, as smells lovely. 

3. Bit of a curve ball, but have done a Russet apple Gin. Still infusing. Had a wonderful Russet apple cider years ago, and wondered whether those lovely flavours would transfer to a Gin?                 Will keep you posted on the above one. 

Also thinking about a Rosehip Gin... Has anyone on here done one? 

Would love to hear what you lovely lot on here have started or have tried in the past. 

ITW. 

• Upvote 2

It's one of those things on the list of stuff I keep meaning to have a go at.  Every year I promise myself I'm going to head up into the Downs and do the whole sloe gin thing, and never actually manage it. Maybe this year will be the one.

R&C sounds amazeballs. Will happily volunteer to help you test that one.

Never come across anyone doing a rosehip one.

We all tried infusions last year, but to be honest they were all a bit shit. My heart wasn’t really in it though, knowing that the greatest Glastonbury drink can never be topped.

Take one bottle of vodka, one kahlua and buy ice-cold milk from the farm....White Russians in the morning is the pefect festival breakfast.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Skelts said:

I think it was @Curlygirl who recommended cherry bakewell. Equal parts vodka, cherry brandy and ameretto. No infusion required. 

I’m forever in her debt for that recommendation! Can’t tell you how good it is! That and werthers vodka!

That stuff is bloody lethal

3 minutes ago, The Red Telephone said:

We all tried infusions last year, but to be honest they were all a bit shit. My heart wasn’t really in it though, knowing that the greatest Glastonbury drink can never be topped.

Take one bottle of vodka, one kahlua and buy ice-cold milk from the farm....White Russians in the morning is the pefect festival breakfast.

Better than a bloody mary?

11 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's one of those things on the list of stuff I keep meaning to have a go at.  Every year I promise myself I'm going to head up into the Downs and do the whole sloe gin thing, and never actually manage it. Maybe this year will be the one.

R&C sounds amazeballs. Will happily volunteer to help you test that one.

Never come across anyone doing a rosehip one.

Get yourself out into the downs, fields and lanes and pick those purple sloes. Prick them (ooh err) and place in the freezer overnight... 

Ready to go with a bottle of Aldi's finest, just in time for Xmas. ☺️ 

1 minute ago, IntoTheWhite said:

Get yourself out into the downs, fields and lanes and pick those purple sloes. Prick them (ooh err) and place in the freezer overnight... 

Ready to go with a bottle of Aldi's finest, just in time for Xmas. ☺️ 

My dad regularly makes some.  Ranging from quite sharp and dry to almost syrup-like. Gin for every palate :P

• Like 1

Second year I've made plum vodka. Also done a gin one this year to compare. We've loads of the things from one tiny victoria plum tree so don't want them to go to waste.

The vodka ends up a lovely amber colour tasting like a fruity amaretto and is an easy neat drink (i.e. very dangerous). Hopefully the gin will be as good if not better.

Haha. No i haven't been to a meeting, but I have laughed at some of the exploits / comments, particularly in NFR NFC thread. Have wanted to come along to T&C field (I think that's where you hold it) but have always managed to enjoy myself tooooooooooo much beforehand (and as you know, this is Wednesday). Would love to come along and stumble in, in waves.... 

Plastic bottle of Gin in pocket..... ☺️ 

Edited by IntoTheWhite
Forgot to quote Quark above... Oh well newbie...

24 minutes ago, Paul_F said:

Second year I've made plum vodka. Also done a gin one this year to compare. We've loads of the things from one tiny victoria plum tree so don't want them to go to waste.

The vodka ends up a lovely amber colour tasting like a fruity amaretto and is an easy neat drink (i.e. very dangerous). Hopefully the gin will be as good if not better.

Plum vodka... Sounds like a bloody good winter warmer.. ☺️ 

2 hours ago, Skelts said:

I think it was @Curlygirl who recommended cherry bakewell. Equal parts vodka, cherry brandy and ameretto. No infusion required. 

I’m forever in her debt for that recommendation! Can’t tell you how good it is! That and werthers vodka!

I am doing this! Any particular brands of said spirits you would recommend for this?

Definitely going to try some Gin this year, ginger and rhubarb sounds good. I did skittles vodka before which was good for shots, and Mars vodka which was really nice with milk.

Edited by Dave_c

27 minutes ago, Skelts said:

Tried rhubarb and custard? In the dishwasher?

Yeah tried it but don’t bother with dishwasher just shake it in bottle and take the slower route. No idea if it makes a difference but just in case....

1 hour ago, IntoTheWhite said:

Haha. No i haven't been to a meeting, but I have laughed at some of the exploits / comments, particularly in NFR NFC thread. Have wanted to come along to T&C field (I think that's where you hold it) but have always managed to enjoy myself tooooooooooo much beforehand (and as you know, this is Wednesday). Would love to come along and stumble in, in waves.... 

Plastic bottle of Gin in pocket..... ☺️ 

That was almost true. In 2017, it was about an hour or so until the NFR meet , which was to be held at The Glade. I'd turned up to the T&C with people from NFR and whilst watching Mik Artistik (at the new stage The Gateway), / ran into more and more of them, until it seemed like about 2/3 of us were there and we were mainly drunk and all late for the meet.

Also, the main efests meet is in the Ridge And Furrow, in the Cabaret field, which is very close to the T&C field. And I think in 2016, the NFR meet was there too. Although I do get confused and may be totally wrong.

But do, do come these meets. We all enjoy ourselves and often too much. I've been posting since 2009 and lurked for a couple of years more, but only managed to drag myself to the proper eFesters meet last year. It was great and involved escapades with mead. Or that might have been the NFR meet the day after, as I say - I get confused :D

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't fancy leeching plastic from the high heat :sick:

No, do it in the glass bottle then decant to plastic when cool. Can highly recommend it, with whatever your favourite boiled sweet is. Smash them to bits, then pour into a bottle and stick into the dishwasher for a cycle, without a tablet ?

1 hour ago, Dave_c said:

I am doing this! Any particular brands of said spirits you would recommend for this?

The cheapest ? 

Its hard to find cherry brandy to be fair so get prepared in advance. It’s great neat but also good with lemonade. That said, werthers vodka is my fav

48 minutes ago, Skelts said:

The cheapest ? 

Its hard to find cherry brandy to be fair so get prepared in advance. It’s great neat but also good with lemonade. That said, werthers vodka is my fav

I had Werthers Vodka for the first time this year. Wonderful!  Mr Miesh loved it too and he doesn't like sweet stuff. My friend has promised to bring some to Glastonbury ? 

my wife is in charge of the many festival infusions.. These are predominantly vodka based.

We have a family 'taster night' in the spring to see which ones make the Glastonbury cut... We make up scoresheets with tasting notes and last time around we tasted 22 vodkas... It was very messy.

My favourites are the Blueberry and The Pineapple... mmmmmmmmmm..

tbf, i should steer well clear as i am always totally w*nkered before the last band of the night :sorry:

The Cherry Bakewell will be the death of me.. sounds both delicious and lethal.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

my wife is in charge of the many festival infusions.. These are predominantly vodka based.

We have a family 'taster night' in the spring to see which ones make the Glastonbury cut... We make up scoresheets with tasting notes and last time around we tasted 22 vodkas... It was very messy.

My favourites are the Blueberry and The Pineapple... mmmmmmmmmm..

tbf, i should steer well clear as i am always totally w*nkered before the last band of the night :sorry:

The Cherry Bakewell will be the death of me.. sounds both delicious and lethal.

Dedication :)