Bagged a local ticket

youngatheart2

6 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

We no longer fall into the catchment area (we used to but the boundary has changed), but out of interest we leisurely checked the sale on Saturday morning and got straight through to the booking page. 

I tried and retried on mobile and laptop so did my friend and hit the booking page each time on different browsers straight off so not sure how anyone could have missed them if they wanted them ... maybe I was just exceptionally lucky 

Can this thread die? The local system has always been there to help residents (and sometimes theyve bent the rules to take some friends and family with them). Generally most people have got sorted  

However people posting how to get them to people on an Internet forum who can live on the other side of the world is going to really ruin this for everyone involved

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

You are obviously upset by this but your arguments are rather spurious and desperate at times too.

Perhaps you should consider accepting that some local tix will always 'leak' to non-locals because that is a fact regardless of how many insults you hurl around. Remember too that there is no data on this for this or any previous years.

I do however suspect (from personal experience) that local tickets did not sell out before the last 2 or 3 years of sales. Over that period the popularity of the festival has grown (evidenced by ncreased overall demand) , there is no reason to suspect that it has also not grown in popularity locally ( the local population has seen growth too).

Perhaps we have just reached the point where local demand outstrips local supply.

I'm upset by the piss taker w*nkers who don't have the respect to except that they missed out in the main sale so try blagging. I totally agree it's become more of a problem in last 2-3 years and that's largely to do with it being published online. Also just for your information I got a ticket so not annoyed from that sense. Sorry mate I don't give a rat's ass if you don't like what I say everything I've said is based on experience.

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I tried and retried on mobile and laptop so did my friend and hit the booking page each time on different browsers straight off so not sure how anyone could have missed them if they wanted them ... maybe I was just exceptionally lucky 

Maybe, not luck for me though... if I was lucky I would have a blimmin' ticket!

3 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Can this thread die? The local system has always been there to help residents (and sometimes theyve bent the rules to take some friends and family with them). Generally most people have got sorted  

However people posting how to get them to people on an Internet forum who can live on the other side of the world is going to really ruin this for everyone involved

I agree, I'm done. Others however seem to think it is more important to 'be right' and vent their anger be it justified or not.

2 hours ago, glastolover19 said:

Sorry mate but whatever way you want to dress it up anyone who is not a resident shouldn't get one simple as that the only exception I guess is people who have to leave for a period ie uni students etc. Don't worry I think anyone who enables a non local is a a-hole too as well as the ones who fraudulently use others addresses. I do think the number of locals who allow it is relatively small in comparison to people who have no links at all 

Also good job on giving a detailed account on how to obtain tickets that's really gonna help

Which if you see was edited very quickly to remove any potential guidance.

As for the numbers I am not sure where you live but I live in Shepton and I can easily take you to 20 or more houses where I know people who don't live in the area gain tickets by being allowed to use someone else's address. 

And I am a relative newcomer to the area.

If the real truth is known there are I would imagine hundreds if not thousands of people who are swinging the lead to help friends and family.

I understand your point but i suspect the problem is not what you think. The problem lies a lot closer to home and I would bet a large sum of money that someone you know abuses the locals ballot 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, John the Moth said:

Clearly a problem with local tickets  getting into the wrong hands, but short of selling them by driving tickets round in an ice cream van with no pre warning, some folk will find a way of abusing the process.

Sorry, but the thought of random ice cream vans touring around selling festival tickets made me laugh.

I'll have two Mivvies and a large 99 please. Oh, and couple of Glastonbury Festival tickets if you've got any. They could play suitable festival music to entice festival lovers.

32 minutes ago, United@glasto said:

Which if you see was edited very quickly to remove any potential guidance.

As for the numbers I am not sure where you live but I live in Shepton and I can easily take you to 20 or more houses where I know people who don't live in the area gain tickets by being allowed to use someone else's address. 

And I am a relative newcomer to the area.

If the real truth is known there are I would imagine hundreds if not thousands of people who are swinging the lead to help friends and family.

I understand your point but i suspect the problem is not what you think. The problem lies a lot closer to home and I would bet a large sum of money that someone you know abuses the locals ballot 

Sorry I don't follow your feed so didn't no you'd edited.Although edited after countless people have read it still doesn't help but that's besides the point.

As I said in previous reply to you anyone who enables it is an a-hole. However I think the main problem is the "phantom residents" ie the ones you mentioned in your now edited description. I'm not the only 1 who knows someone whose had their address used for registration without their knowledge(someone else posted something similar on here) Whatever the reason and let's be honest neither of us actually know,you can't deny it ain't right especially when I could take 30+ people who didn't get tickets 

3 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Pure speculation. Your making up 'facts' to fit an argument.

Who mentioned 'facts'?

I said 'almost certainly'.....surmising therefore.....just like your surmising that 1/3 of the tickets go to locals....which they -  careful now - almost certainly don't.

Night night.

2 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Who mentioned 'facts'?

I said 'almost certainly'.....surmising therefore.....just like your surmising that 1/3 of the tickets go to locals....which they -  careful now - almost certainly don't.

Night night.

You did indeed say 'almost certainly' for which you (and yes, I am assuming here) have zero evidence. So how 'certain' can you really be?

The (probably rather too subtle)  point I was making is that this tread is riddled with confirmation bias.

We know f-all about the facts of the subject yet still rant on...

'We are the angry mob......"

29 minutes ago, glastolover19 said:

Sorry I don't follow your feed so didn't no you'd edited.Although edited after countless people have read it still doesn't help but that's besides the point.

As I said in previous reply to you anyone who enables it is an a-hole. However I think the main problem is the "phantom residents" ie the ones you mentioned in your now edited description. I'm not the only 1 who knows someone whose had their address used for registration without their knowledge(someone else posted something similar on here) Whatever the reason and let's be honest neither of us actually know,you can't deny it ain't right especially when I could take 30+ people who didn't get tickets 

I can sympathise with what you are saying. I too know people who have had tickets turn up at their house for complete strangers. Obviously there is an element of it happening. I don't deny that at all 

My point however is that many of the local tickets go to family members or friends outside the catchment area with the full knowledge and consent of the residents of that address. As I said earlier I know one house where the kids have left home and yet all manage every year to attend by being registered at their parents house. None of them live there anymore but they continue to apply as if they were. They all have partners so they want their partners to join them and thus even more tickets are taken.

You could argue both sides of the coin here. As you say it is locals who are inconvenienced so they should get some kickback. Could it be not argued that if ME offers them a chance to apply for tickets to say thanks for putting up with the festival, its their choice what they do with them. Many Piltobites take the free tickets and sell them on. Should it not be the case then that if they aren't using them they should be put back into the resale. Should residents be allowed to tout their tickets?

Its a tough one and one we all wish could be solved but it won't happen. There will always be someone who does what they are not supposed to. That is life. 

If we push too hard and kick up too much of a fuss they could decide to remove the local ballot completely and make everyone battle it out in the main sale.

We have to be very careful what we wish for because of they do ever decide to try and be 100% rigid In the rules we could end up all losing out.

Lets take another angle here. Many locals apply for tickets in the main sale first and get a second bite of the cherry if unsuccessful. Millions may argue that is wrong. Locals should only be able to apply in the locals ballot and not take tickets that people living else where are supposed to get.

It can work in reverse too 

56 minutes ago, United@glasto said:

I can sympathise with what you are saying. I too know people who have had tickets turn up at their house for complete strangers. Obviously there is an element of it happening. I don't deny that at all 

My point however is that many of the local tickets go to family members or friends outside the catchment area with the full knowledge and consent of the residents of that address. As I said earlier I know one house where the kids have left home and yet all manage every year to attend by being registered at their parents house. None of them live there anymore but they continue to apply as if they were. They all have partners so they want their partners to join them and thus even more tickets are taken.

You could argue both sides of the coin here. As you say it is locals who are inconvenienced so they should get some kickback. Could it be not argued that if ME offers them a chance to apply for tickets to say thanks for putting up with the festival, its their choice what they do with them. Many Piltobites take the free tickets and sell them on. Should it not be the case then that if they aren't using them they should be put back into the resale. Should residents be allowed to tout their tickets?

Its a tough one and one we all wish could be solved but it won't happen. There will always be someone who does what they are not supposed to. That is life. 

If we push too hard and kick up too much of a fuss they could decide to remove the local ballot completely and make everyone battle it out in the main sale.

We have to be very careful what we wish for because of they do ever decide to try and be 100% rigid In the rules we could end up all losing out.

Lets take another angle here. Many locals apply for tickets in the main sale first and get a second bite of the cherry if unsuccessful. Millions may argue that is wrong. Locals should only be able to apply in the locals ballot and not take tickets that people living else where are supposed to get.

It can work in reverse too 

I think we'll disagree for till the end of time mate. I have said this somewhere before but the way it needs to be done is either check against electoral roll or make people pick up tickets with proof of address. I just think this whole entitled view people have a bit wrong. I'd be happy to only enter a local sale if that was the rules,sorry I'm selfish enough to jump over others for my gain.But at end of day I know there is no 100% solution and we'd be here forever trying to find one

2 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Before I go any further this is meant to be humorous and I support @glastolover19 stance and views on local sales... But is that him and his Mrs?

Seriously mate I appreciate the joke and by all means take the piss outta me that's fair game considering I'm the one posting on here but there's absolutely no reason to try and take the piss outta my wife,she has nothing to do with what I write

Just now, glastolover19 said:

Seriously mate I appreciate the joke and by all means take the piss outta me that's fair game considering I'm the one posting on here but there's absolutely no reason to try and take the piss outta my wife,she has nothing to do with what I write

Ok, was meant to be light hearted, with absolutely no offence intended, so I apologise.

3 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Ok, was meant to be light hearted, with absolutely no offence intended, so I apologise.

I appreciate the apology and know you meant nothing by it as such just don't need to have a dig at someone whose not even involved. Give me as much shit as you want I'm fair game but don't bring my wife or family into it.

Besides she looks more like Barbara the taxi driver(she said I could say that)