Festival Trolley

paddyclark

Time for a new festival trolley - I've always hankered after the Funky Leisure one that used to be sold on Efestivals.

Now no longer available and has been out of stock forever with no indication that it will return (Here or the Funky Leisure site). 

However have found - https://www.boutiquecamping.com/products-c25/accessories-c13/wagons-trolleys-c78/bell-tent-fold-away-heavy-duty-trolley-up-to-120kg-p230

Which appears to be exactly the same thing. Unfortunately dearer at £59 so could anyone who owns one give me their thoughts as to how good or bad it is before I take the plunge.

On 10/18/2018 at 11:23 AM, paddyclark said:

Time for a new festival trolley - I've always hankered after the Funky Leisure one that used to be sold on Efestivals.

Now no longer available and has been out of stock forever with no indication that it will return (Here or the Funky Leisure site). 

However have found - https://www.boutiquecamping.com/products-c25/accessories-c13/wagons-trolleys-c78/bell-tent-fold-away-heavy-duty-trolley-up-to-120kg-p230

Which appears to be exactly the same thing. Unfortunately dearer at £59 so could anyone who owns one give me their thoughts as to how good or bad it is before I take the plunge.

I bought a fishing trolley very similar to the one that you have posted. I took it to Bestival on the Isle of Wight, and it survived. I then took it to Glastonbury, and it survived all the way to the campsite, and all the way to back to the car on Monday morning. However, once it got to within about 1 foot of the car on the way back, its wheels and axle had a bit of a to do, and fell out with each other. This translates as the wheels fell off 1 foot away from the car. It was, evidently, a shitty trolley, but bye God it fought to the bitter end at Glastonbury.

By the way, you can get similar for less than your example;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxbridge-Folding-Fishing-Trolley-Barrow/dp/B01M0ENPS8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1540002641&sr=8-5&keywords=fishing+trolley

• Upvote 1

I have a fishing trolley (rescued from a Glasto bin 2016) Glastonbury have looked at the Oxbridge and similar to replace mine with equivalent model (browning) is around £60 the old efestivals one looks more solid stronger frame etc just wondered if my assumptions were accurate from an owner. But the Oxbridge and similar are in the frame 

On 10/18/2018 at 11:23 AM, paddyclark said:

I've got one of these, very sturdy and had no issues. The tyres tend to lose a little air over the winter so just need pumping up at the start of festival season and you're good to go. Was a bit of a ball ache dragging it through the very thick mud of 2016 but I'd probably over loaded it and everyone seemed to be struggling that year, all other trips have been fine.

What about one of these

https://www.manomano.co.uk/wheelbarrow/handcart-transport-cart-trolley-wheelbarrow-pushcart-tool-and-gear-wagon-3499771?model_id=3499771

or this?

https://oypla.com/garden/garden-tools-equipment/heavy-duty-metal-gardening-trolley-green-trailer-cart?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg6Xb_v6c3gIVzbTtCh2PMQDUEAQYASABEgIErvD_BwE

We had the bottom one at work and so long as the tires are pumped up OK and the wheels are mounted properly they're OK, the pins to hold the sides on/together are crap and drop out so need "modding" before you go anywhere rough. Saw loads of them made into stagecoaches for dragging small kids around site. Don't overload them or the bearings drop out of the wheels (you can get spares for £7).

15 hours ago, paddyclark said:

The 4 wheelers are fine if you have the space in a car. Travel by coach to Glastonbury so need to stick with the fishing trolley type. Just need to know the Funky leisure one is as solid as it looks

cheers 

It is.

• Upvote 1

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:45 PM, Gnomicide said:

I've got one of these, very sturdy and had no issues. The tyres tend to lose a little air over the winter so just need pumping up at the start of festival season and you're good to go. Was a bit of a ball ache dragging it through the very thick mud of 2016 but I'd probably over loaded it and everyone seemed to be struggling that year, all other trips have been fine.

Used these for last few years and very reliable. Very sturdy and fold up nicely. You can use year after year. They are heavy but suppose they need to be. It's still not easy to pull over rough terrain and it might be that the 4 wheeler does a better job but of course you need the space to bring in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, paddyclark said:

Changed due to impulse buy on Ebay  only £26.00 ..

trolley 2.jpg

Trolley 3.jpg

Nice looking trolley that, and it's got two stands too!  If I were you I would take the precautionary step of bringing along a few spares of the pins that hold the wheels on - especially if you are really going to load that trolley up. I say this because my old trolley had such pins, and they buckled over time. This led to hassle when using it, and ultimately to the trolleys eventual destruction. I can't for the life of me recall what those pins are called, but know that you can get them cheap in plumbing shops. I think that they are used in the contruction of toilet ball cock mechanisms. 

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Nice looking trolley that, and it's got two stands too!  If I were you I would take the precautionary step of bringing along a few spares of the pins that hold the wheels on - especially if you are really going to load that trolley up. I say this because my old trolley had such pins, and they buckled over time. This led to hassle when using it, and ultimately to the trolleys eventual destruction. I can't for the life of me recall what those pins are called, but know that you can get them cheap in plumbing shops. I think that they are used in the contruction of toilet ball cock mechanisms. 

R-clips

1 hour ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've never seen such a thing before. Want one.

The only problem I found was if you do a second run and you've already moved all your big bags etc, small bits like crates of beer can drop though the gaps if you're not careful. I'm going to modify mine with some thin hardboard and a small piece of cargo netting.

25 minutes ago, SighMo said:

The only problem I found was if you do a second run and you've already moved all your big bags etc, small bits like crates of beer can drop though the gaps if you're not careful. I'm going to modify mine with some thin hardboard and a small piece of cargo netting.

Yes, I didn't notice that. Chicken wire would also be a good retainer.  That said, I have a thing about chicken wire, so maybe that proposal should be taken with a little bit of doubt.

I have two rolls of chicken wire - one bought, and one inherited with the house. I want to do things with that chicken wire!

Yog: Chicke wire would be good, maybe two layers. The sides on this trolley can be extended also but so far I haven't bothered. Mildly interested why you bought a roll when you'd already inherited some that you didn't know what to do with....could get some hens I spose.

On 11/4/2018 at 9:26 PM, SighMo said:

Yog: Chicke wire would be good, maybe two layers. The sides on this trolley can be extended also but so far I haven't bothered. Mildly interested why you bought a roll when you'd already inherited some that you didn't know what to do with....could get some hens I spose.

Hello SighMo,

I'd already bought one roll of chicken wire, and then about a year ago I moved in to my new (old) house, and there was a roll of it here in the back garden under a hedge.

I had bought the first roll with the intention of having it wrapped around me, or someone else, so that I could then cut it (or have someone else cut it) down the one side, so that I could get out of the wire mesh bindings. This would then allow me to stitch up the open side with wire, which would leave me with the shape of a human in chicken wire, with which to do an art project with. 

I haven't forgotten about this project - it's just on hold until I get around to doing it. Move over Anthony Gormley, because I'm coming through!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1