field day 2019

I was coming back from Norbury via Tottenham Hale yesterday morning and on my local bus I was very surprised to hear ' festival conversation ' and I have seen enough ' Security ' to work out they were Security and Not Punters so was completely mystified why they were there - then as we got close to the new Meridian Water station I spotted a load of Police - when I got back to Edmonton green I checked the website - although at https://fielddayfestivals.com/information/faqs/

You can find us on Google maps ' but the link takes people to Brockwell Park { south of Brixton } which is where it was held last year. '

so would be interested to find out if anyone found it.

it would appear that its very close to Tottenham Marshes.

Last night there was a beacon flashing from it ' pinpointing ' it -

typical festival promoter - did not even bother to supply a map { the top one with the red dot is claimed to be the entrance }

why they did not include the location on the bottom map is beyond me.

real-map.jpg.ee4d4005075b0af394b2fb0a719bec40.jpgFD-Rail-Map-819x1024.thumb.jpg.e09fd9dacf93ac24beba14b58a88c439.jpg

I heard Deerhunter, Julia Holter, HOMESHAKE, and possibly Mahalia make complaints which sounded aimed at the organizers yesterday. 

Boy Azooga and Pip blom playing to an empty room is shameful. Sad about Femi Kuti too.

I’ll complain about the shitty 2 hour opening in the rain another time. At least the sun is shining today. 

Thought it was decent enough; reasonable well organised. Never queued for a drink though didn't get any food. Wasn't a huge fan of the main stage's ground. But overall miles better than Brixton. 

Got there at around 4pm on both days so missed out on the problems early on.

Noticed that they didn't check wristbands at all during the late night session but it was great! Meant that I left a festival for once and just got on my bus home within 10 minutes of leaving the warehouse and was home within 40 minutes.

Only major problem for me personally was being pickpocketed during Death Grips. Think a lot of phones got nicked during that set. Spoke to one of the staff where lost phones were being returned and they said it was around 40-50 people lost their phones just during Death Grips.

Thought the whole Friday was bitterly disappointing. Turned up early to catch Pip Blom and Boy Azooga - only to end up waiting in the rain for 2 hours. Could barely hear Homeshake over people talking. Things livened up once Death Grips played but first 6 hours or so was really disappointing.

Reviews by NME and the Guardian haven't been too kind to the new site. Basically saying that the warehouses, especially the late night sets, were the best thing of the festival, which I completely agree with. It'd be good if they did a late night only entry ticket.

The other major thing is that Field Day doesn't know what type of festival it wants to be, which I also agree with.

I bought my tickets early bird because of the fact that it was local to me. But next time I'm going to wait until nearer the event.

Edited by aidenlangan95

57 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

I bought my tickets early bird because of the fact that it was local to me. But next time I'm going to wait until nearer the event.

I thought this was roundly expected to be the last one, wasn’t it? Between poor sales and Field Day not being part of the packet of festivals handed over from Global to Superstruct (not sure if anything’s happened since regarding that though).

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I thought this was roundly expected to be the last one, wasn’t it? Between poor sales and Field Day not being part of the packet of festivals handed over from Global to Superstruct (not sure if anything’s happened since regarding that though).

I guess the next event at the Drumsheds then. They said they sold out the Saturday, and whilst it was busier, it definitely didn't feel as busy as the Chemical Brothers at APE. Plus there were plenty of 2 for 1 offers around. 

Tbh, I'm surprised they lasted after the mess that was Brockwell Park. And as the festival wasn't as bad as that, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another festival next year at the Drumsheds (though it might not be Field Day).

Edited by aidenlangan95

As mentioned. The warehouses were the best part of the festival. 

JPEG Mafia was super packed to get into. I was thinking he should have been on the main stage.. but when I got inside it all made sense.

The Printworks room was also cool. Would have been interesting to see non DJs perform there though.

I enjoyed it over all.  Surprisingly easy to get to - if a bit of a walk.  Agreed the floor was annoying but I'd rather that than mud or hard concrete.  Sound on main stage was decent and the area Erol Alkan played (the Bug?) was cool!  Would be a massive shame to lose Field Day.  I feel like they hit their stride in 2017 and then got mugged off by APE and had to move.  I think if they can get a stronger night time line up next year and introduce night-only tickets that'd be cool.  I guess it just a case of whether or not people will give them another chance. 

On a side note cigarettes were weirdly cheap - £8.70 for 20 B&H Duals?

4 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

It’s the last one, apparently Primavera UK talking over from Field Day now ??‍♂️

WHAT?!?!? Where did you get that tasty piece of info?!? Do you have any links on articles etc?!?

Have to say, Only went to Primavera in Barcelona once, in 2014. It was BRILLIANT!!!! Unfortunately, couldnt afford 2015. And now I am a dad, so its likely Im unable to get to Primavera Barcelona again till 2034. BUT.....if there was a UK version? I would be VERY happy! :)

8 minutes ago, retromoz said:

WHAT?!?!? Where did you get that tasty piece of info?!? Do you have any links on articles etc?!?

Have to say, Only went to Primavera in Barcelona once, in 2014. It was BRILLIANT!!!! Unfortunately, couldnt afford 2015. And now I am a dad, so its likely Im unable to get to Primavera Barcelona again till 2034. BUT.....if there was a UK version? I would be VERY happy! :)

It’s on the Primavera website. Was announced a few weeks ago. A Hollywood version and also another version with an image that is clearly the London Eye.

and primavera Benidorm too.

https://www.primaverasound.com/

Edited by thesecretingredientiscrime

5 minutes ago, retromoz said:

As much as I love Primavera, at least 50% of what makes it so special is it not being on a grey and wet day by a council estate in a corner of London. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, adequate8 said:

It’s the last one, apparently Primavera UK talking over from Field Day now ??‍♂️

seems a bit odd if that's happening, Field Day have just sent out an email saying all about it's new home (like it'll be back) and that it was sold out. It doesn't seem like they're dropping the field day brand.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

seems a bit odd if that's happening, Field Day have just sent out an email saying all about it's new home (like it'll be back) and that it was sold out. It doesn't seem like they're dropping the field day brand.

Could end up being some weird Primavera Field Day combo event. No idea how that would work though. 

As I said before, if Field Day survived Brockwell Park and the event in Enfield went relatively smoothly (which it did except early on Friday), it'll probably be back next year.

17 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Just passing on what I was told from a source who was there this year, could be rumour mill stuff though