Silver Hayes on late...

DJ Cull

12 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I think they could extend the Rabbit Hole to try and draw some people away from the SE corner. It’s definitely grown in size and popularity over the last few years. I have as yet failed to get in 

Me too! And I am always so up for trying but the queue is massive - they should definitely do something about that. But then maybe thats what some of the changes in the park are going to involve?

I've actually never had any problems getting in when I've wanted to. We left last year straight after Radiohead and managed it no problems. But then it got to 3am and one of my friends was INSISTENT that her friend was in the rabbit hole and it wasn't closing and made us leave. Obviously it was closing, and we all ended up going to the stone circle. Another time I remember it being a bit hectic, but we headed to Arcadia for a bit and went over later. And I think the Friday of 2016 we sacked the headliners off and got involved really early. Was great :D

9 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Sunday- got a bit intentionally seperated from my friends as we were having issues deciding on acts and I had enough. They went to SE corner, I fell down the rabbit hole alone. My best night of the festival tbh. 

Oh, what was the queue like? Did you meet some nice randoms to hang out with once inside?

One of my best nights at the festival also involved losing my friends, meeting some randoms in the park around 1am and hanging out with them until 7.30am. Can't really remember what we were doing for some of it, but I know we ended up dancing in the cave in the SE corner, totally losing track of time and then coming out, finding it to be light, and heading up to the stone circle. Amazing fun :)

14 hours ago, Penrhos said:

They should nick TiTP's "King Tut's tent" (as they won't be needing it now the festival's been scrapped) much better than sonic and it'd keep the sound in better too.

Maybe plop Arcadia's Afterburner in the middle of the area instead of the spider up on the hill where they can't turn the music up loud.

Chuck 75% of Silver Hayes in the bin, keep Blues and Gully then get the Slam tent from TiTP and let Meikle and McMillan curate it like they used to. Had some amazing times underneath that behemoth of a tent. Check out the lineups they used to put on, anyone who's anyone played there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SEC is so crowded after the headliners, uncomfortably so - I did it one night in 2017 then couldn't be arsed and did Arcadia, Love bullets, spaceport and the engine room instead.

I tend to visit during the day to look at the installations & art then unless there is something I'm desperate to see avoid it as the milling crowds ruin the feeling and the disappointment of not getting into a set is a real downer.

Moving "The common" to SH would make sense....

6 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Chuck 75% of Silver Hayes in the bin, keep Blues and Gully then get the Slam tent from TiTP and let Meikle and McMillan curate it like they used to. Had some amazing times underneath that behemoth of a tent. Check out the lineups they used to put on, anyone who's anyone played there.

Hell yeah....

TUT's & Slam - some of the best bits from TiTP.

I got majorly spangled to Oliver Heldens in Tut's a couple of years ago when Kasabian & the Prodigy were headlining....

36 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

I think they could extend the Rabbit Hole to try and draw some people away from the SE corner. It’s definitely grown in size and popularity over the last few years. I have as yet failed to get in 

20 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Me too! And I am always so up for trying but the queue is massive - they should definitely do something about that. But then maybe thats what some of the changes in the park are going to involve?

I've actually never had any problems getting in when I've wanted to. We left last year straight after Radiohead and managed it no problems. But then it got to 3am and one of my friends was INSISTENT that her friend was in the rabbit hole and it wasn't closing and made us leave. Obviously it was closing, and we all ended up going to the stone circle. Another time I remember it being a bit hectic, but we headed to Arcadia for a bit and went over later. And I think the Friday of 2016 we sacked the headliners off and got involved really early. Was great :D

I presume you mean the Rabbit Hole in terms of the bit you have to answer questions and crawl through a tunnel?  I don't see much point in expanding that section as you lose what makes it fun and small.

The main Rabbit Hole is a tent; it goes on until the wee hours until 4am and I've never had a problem getting into the main tent.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

This would be brilliant, but Awakenings being the same weekend as Glastonbury doesn't half rule out a lot of the big names who could pack out a tent of that size, like was possible at TiTP (Dixon, Dax J, Nina Kraviz, Sven Vath etc). On the other hand, Arcadia's Friday night from 2015 in a tent would be a game changer.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CallumGamble said:

This would be brilliant, but Awakenings being the same weekend as Glastonbury doesn't half rule out a lot of the big names who could pack out a tent of that size, like was possible at TiTP (Dixon, Dax J, Nina Kraviz, Sven Vath etc). On the other hand, Arcadia's Friday night from 2015 in a tent would be a game changer.

Might be a long shot, but are you @Gamble1878 on twitter?

3 hours ago, Keithy said:

The Gully is again another decent stage but it just feels they've plonked it down and not bothered to give it any character.

Definitely, although that seems to be even more the case since they moved it a couple of years ago.  Feels like they could do so much more with the reggae / dub vibe they've got going there. Doesn't even feel like it should take THAT much of an effort to do something cool with it. I'd certainly be more inclined to spend some time there.

5 hours ago, Mardy said:

Do people go to the SE corner specifically for Block 9, or do they just head in that direction anyway, and see what's on when they get there? that's a genuine question, I really don't know. 

So previously I've very much been in the "somewhere to go after headliners" mindset, without knowing anything of what's on.  More recently I've gone wandering around the green fields and the like instead of going there by default.  Since I've become a little more turned on to electronica I've taken more of an active interest in what's there, and these days I'm more likely to go there for something specific.

I think one of the reasons for the "head there anyway" mentality is that it's such a chore to get in and around.  If you're going there to see something specific I've found you need to add on a chunk of time in advance to actually get in there, so you get there earlier on the offchance, which then creates further crowding. Vicious circle really. Or you just sack it off, which I did with Etherwood at Heaven a few years back.  Still kicking myself for that.

5 hours ago, Mardy said:

I guess what I mean is I'm wondering if, like the people who plonk themselves down in front of the Pyramid all day, regardless of who's on, are there a significant number of people who will just automatically go to the SE corner after the headliners?

Probably! I think reputation/force of habit is hard to overcome- it's like every year the most requested direction at night is "where's Shangri laaaaa?", when to be honest I think the Common and Block 9 look way better these days- it's been on a bit of a decline since it's bladerunner days (the afterlife story seemed to get canned earlier than it was meant to, and then last year's new look- well, I don't actually remember people talking about it on here much)- it must be hard for the creators of it because the big crowds and health and safety requirements as a result are really painting them into a corner with regards to what they can actually do. They're great at what they do, but being required to have more open space to deal with the crowd has really made it tricky to look as visually impressive/atmospheric as it used to. But still, that's the SE corner bit that's most mentioned/sought after!

I wonder if the Despacio sound system/tent will make a comeback this year?  Although it isn't massive, it would still be a big enough draw to put in SH and ease a bit of congestion in the SEC a little.

Moving Bloc 9 would massively help but I can't see that happening if only because of noise regulations.  It'd be good if it did though. It would give people an actual reason to go to SH rather than just run through it

5 hours ago, tjamest said:

Something felt right about smoking my last illegal puff before midnight ?

3 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Oh, what was the queue like? Did you meet some nice randoms to hang out with once inside?

One of my best nights at the festival also involved losing my friends, meeting some randoms in the park around 1am and hanging out with them until 7.30am. Can't really remember what we were doing for some of it, but I know we ended up dancing in the cave in the SE corner, totally losing track of time and then coming out, finding it to be light, and heading up to the stone circle. Amazing fun :)

The queue was about 30mins, and i met a couple nice young women waiting behind me, and we danced in the rabbit hole, and when that was done went down to the bimble to meet up with the rest of their friends. Danced until about 730 as well. It was honestly a magical perfect night. Ive been trying to get my friends to head down the rabbit hole as someone told me a "secret" to getting in, and I'm not sure if its true but I would like to try. Sadly they cant get over their SE corner madenss.

In reference to whether we go to SE corner for something specific... its almost the opposite... we go somewhere else if their is something specific (like carl cox, fatboy slim) but if theres nothing specifc elsewhere my friends want to be at block 9. One of my friends is heavily into EDM so he does usually know a bit about who's on where. 

2 hours ago, CallumGamble said:

No reason why they couldnt do it on the friday. Quite a few only play Awakenings on one day. Would love a cirez d set somewhere... Either Sonic headliner or Preferably Arcadia.

I've only been to one Glastonbury and I thought it was just me but Silver Hayes just seemed to be a random area I wandered through on my way back to Darble (although there was some excellent chips with cheese and gravy to be picked up on the way through).

I couldn't work out why BBC Introducing is there, wouldn't that be better somewhere near JP?

And surely they could route the walkway round the edge rather than through the middle which would make it a more cohesive area.

I agree with previous comments about Sonic. Before I went it looked great, once I was there it was just a strange tent that nobody seemed to want to be in.

However I walked past WOW on the Saturday which appeared to be rammed and all I could hear was the "Oh Jeremy Corbyn" chant.

7 minutes ago, Keithy said:

And another thing... Move the Hare Krishna's back to a more sensible spot. Really unsuited them being in the SH area and being blasted by dance music. Used to love popping in there when having an envitable tired Glastonbury moment and have some nosh and a little chant.

Swap the lovebullets and the Krishna tent round, I reckon