Silver Hayes on late...

DJ Cull

27 minutes ago, Havors said:

Would moving say Block 9 and something else, the common maybe? over to silver hayes help split the crowd up?? 

Yeah, I reckon this would work but it would  be immensely unpopular with both the Block 9 crew and punters who love those areas where they are I suspect. 

They need to get someone creative involved to give it a revamp a la SE corner. The Blues is a good start, it needs more of the same- visual stages like that imo.

2 minutes ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Yeah, I reckon this would work but it would  be immensely unpopular with both the Block 9 crew and punters who love those areas where they are I suspect. 

They need to get someone creative involved to give it a revamp a la SE corner. The Blues is a good start, it needs more of the same- visual stages like that imo.

Yes, 100% they need to expand the Blues type thing in SH. The reason the SEC is such a drawer is because of the other-worldly nature of the place with the stages, art etc. SH is lacking that majorly and looks pretty plain in comparison. I mean it still has cool looking stuff their but does't reach SEC standards.

Then again, maybe it is the tree cover and railway that also contributes to the atmosphere.

39 minutes ago, Havors said:

Would moving say Block 9 and something else, the common maybe? over to silver hayes help split the crowd up?? 

Other than that Silver Hayes needs more of a reason to go see it... more spectacle things of wonder are needed.  

I'd been thinking this... Block 9 has become one of the big draws to the SE corner in the past few years and has big names playing, seems to get closed due to the crowds fairly often. Moving it to Silver Hayes and giving it some extra space would surely help Block 9 and the SE corner crowding?

12 minutes ago, compactdisc said:

I'd been thinking this... Block 9 has become one of the big draws to the SE corner in the past few years and has big names playing, seems to get closed due to the crowds fairly often. Moving it to Silver Hayes and giving it some extra space would surely help Block 9 and the SE corner crowding?

Yeah thats my thinking. Some people wouldn't like it moving but as you say its such a big draw now it would almost certainly split up the traffic just making life easier for everyone and not get to the situation where you just cant get ino the SE or even when you are in there its not standing room only and uncomfortable. 

I guess what I mean is I'm wondering if, like the people who plonk themselves down in front of the Pyramid all day, regardless of who's on, are there a significant number of people who will just automatically go to the SE corner after the headliners?

1 hour ago, MetaKate said:

Being properly off my face at this point, i cant be certain, but thinking back on it felt like we went up into the park, and behind tipi village? I'll never be sure.

Sounds like you went through what used to be Dragon Field camping, would’ve brought you out near that Rock n Roll place called Rocket something? Used to do good breakfasts back when you could actually get into that area more easily.

There also used to be a shortcut from the craft fields that brought you in at the Strummer Stone, reckon I used that one at peak time as last as 2014. Closed now though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Do people go to the SE corner specifically for Block 9, or do they just head in that direction anyway, and see what's on when they get there? that's a genuine question, I really don't know. 

yes, many of us in the dance/electronic thread go to the SEC specifically for acts that are playing Block9 venues, or some of the venues nearby (eg. The Temple, The Cave). I'm sure if Block9 was in Silver Hayes many of us would be more likely to be up there. it would make getting into the venues easier too, as there seems to be a large amount of footfall in Block9 passing through for a gawk, rather than actually caring about who's playing.

moving Block9 to SH isn't a runner though IMO. the reason the SEC exists is because of distance from the village, having more noise up in Silver Hayes late into the night/morning (Genosys is open-air and goes until 6am), is very unlikely to happen.

54 minutes ago, Havors said:

Other than that Silver Hayes needs more of a reason to go see it... more spectacle things of wonder are needed.  

OK, now you just stop with that nonsense you flippin' heretic!

I'm guessing that Silver Hayes stops at 0300h as it has a noise time limit. No-one, I repeat, no-one is going to stop me from dancing to techno at Genosys until six in the morning, you buggers!

Ben

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

yes, many of us in the dance/electronic thread go to the SEC specifically for acts that are playing Block9 venues, or some of the venues nearby (eg. The Temple, The Cave). I'm sure if Block9 was in Silver Hayes many of us would be more likely to be up there. it would make getting into the venues easier too, as there seems to be a large amount of footfall in Block9 passing through for a gawk, rather than actually caring about who's playing.

Sure but that's not most people is it? from my experience it's just the 'done thing' -  Main stages finish, head to the SE corner. I appreciate there's a significant group of aficionados, but I wonder how large that group is, and what iot would take to change the habits of the other, larger section of the crowd.

The festival would have to put a lot of effort in to change the majority's mindset of "headliner finishes head straight to SE corner"

Big acts between 12 - 3, lots of publicity piled in to it and i'd guess it would be a process of years and certainly not something which is a quick fix.

12 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Yeah I think the majority of people in the SE corner, that is to say 75%+, are just there for a wander as it’s the place to be.

I think so to. I think a large amount of them are there because its good to look at and see whats happening, and the only place to go really after 3am.

If they could get around the sound issue in Silver Hayes and add more of a spectacle and things to see and experience then it would split the crowd up. 

Silver Hayes is an odd place. It's either feels really crowded with an 'uncomfortable' atmosphere or really bleak and deserted.

There are/were some good stages in SH. The Blues is a fantastic stage as well as being visually beautiful, especially at night. Pussy Parlure used to be a great stage when it was the old Spiegel Tent

pp.jpg.1dfab4aed65b2757647de0ffad7739bc.jpg

.. and even when they changed the tent, it still had an 'entrance' and the feel of a proper stage...

dscn3519.thumb.jpg.78b61256109b3d328493bb20b939ed1e.jpg

Last year however, it just felt they'd abandoned it. It looked like a bar with a stage nearby. It seemed empty so many times and felt for the acts that were on in there.

The Gully is again another decent stage but it just feels they've plonked it down and not bothered to give it any character.

So they've got/had some great stages there but compared to The Park, Williams Green, SE Corner and even JP now, it doesn't seem to have any character or design to it. It's just a generic area with some stages. The whole area being a flat open expanse with no natural character like tree's and hedges doesn't help.

The sound at arcadia had massively improved in the last 2 fests. Its often busy without being too packed. Plus I camp pretty close by, so if there is someone I want to see - it's my prefered destination.

Ive never been to the beat hotel.

To me its a shame the JP cant put a big dance act on after the headliner. Sticking someone on in there would split the crowd a bit.

The silver hayes needs a reboot. It's clear to see.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

43 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Sure but that's not most people is it? from my experience it's just the 'done thing' -  Main stages finish, head to the SE corner. I appreciate there's a significant group of aficionados, but I wonder how large that group is, and what iot would take to change the habits of the other, larger section of the crowd.

of course not, but it's all about getting people out of the SEC to stop the crowding issues, right?

most people don't go to anything down there for any reason apart from a wander about. if you take some of the stuff out of the SEC and move it elsewhere, it creates larger space for crowds, and also means less people will be there too, even if 90% are still there.

most people don't even call it the SEC anyway, they call it Shangri-La, you could move Block9/Glasto Latino/The Common elsewhere and there'd still be most people going down there for the first couple of years anyway.

it's a moot point really though, they (probably) won't be moving anything from the SEC up to SH as it would probably mean lobbing 3hrs off the finishing times, or 6hrs in the case of Genosys.

I'd actually say peak times for SE corner is between 2-4am. You can always get in if you head up straight after the headliners with no hanging around and there's enough of a draw from other areas until 3am. When Arcadia shuts that when its a nightmare to get into and navigate.

I agree with what most have said about SH. Due to Sonic shutting so early it sort of kills the vibe of the whole area and during the day its just a flow of traffic. Moving Love bullets is a good shout. I didn't like where they moved it to as its right on a path.

There was talk last year of them creating something new in the SH area but I didn't notice anything and nothing was marked on the map AFAIK.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

of course not, but it's all about getting people out of the SEC to stop the crowding issues, right?

most people don't go to anything down there for any reason apart from a wander about. if you take some of the stuff out of the SEC and move it elsewhere, it creates larger space for crowds, and also means less people will be there too, even if 90% are still there.

most people don't even call it the SEC anyway, they call it Shangri-La, you could move Block9/Glasto Latino/The Common elsewhere and there'd still be most people going down there for the first couple of years anyway.

it's a moot point really though, they (probably) won't be moving anything from the SEC up to SH as it would probably mean lobbing 3hrs off the finishing times, or 6hrs in the case of Genosys.

Yeah, I can't argue with any of that, it's all spot on. 

I'm intrigied by Glasto Latino, it always seems pretty dead whenever I've been up there late at night. Maybe I'm just there at the wrong times. Or maybe there's not really an audience for it.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

The sound at arcadia had massively improved in the last 2 fests. Its often busy without being too packed. Plus I camp pretty close by, so if there is someone I want to see - it's my prefered destination.

Ive never been to the beat hotel.

To me its a shame the JP cant put a big dance act on after the headliner. Sticking someone on in there would split the crowd a bit.

The silver hayes needs a reboot. It's clear to see.

Another slightly under-executed project, IMO.

Sound is pretty ordinary and WAY too quiet.

Shame, as some of the scheduling there is excellent.

Ben