Silver Hayes on late...

DJ Cull

...but how late is late? It already goes on until 3am (I think) so would this mean a 5am finish?

I'm all for it, but in 2017 the quality of the acts in Silver Hayes in general wasn't great. If Emily wants to encourage more people to go there instead of the SE Corner I think they'll need:

• Another stage 
  • A better theme / USP to entice people in
  • Better acts so people go there for headliners and then stay on

What do you all think?

2 hours ago, DJ Cull said:

If Emily wants to encourage more people to go there instead of the SE Corner I think they'll need:

• Another stage 
  • A better theme / USP to entice people in
  • Better acts so people go there for headliners and then stay on

What do you all think?

All of the above? Silver Hayes (and before that the Dance Village) has rarely held an appeal for me and I like dance music. The SE corner feels like you have arrived somewhere, wherever you come in and the railway track makes it fairly easy to get around unless its rammed. Most of silver Hayes feel like a walkthrough, which I guess is because it is. If there was a way they could change the layout so the path between JP and the Other was to one side..? With some good micro venues, a decent theme and reduced sound bleed... I may be asking the impossible. 

for the next Michael/Emily Q&A, someone needs to ask them why the persist with the utterly dreadful tent for Sonic, which finishes at midnight, presumably because the sound can't be contained.

get a big normal type one (Acoustic tent size), and bang a few big name DJs in there from 11pm-3am, like Wow beside it, which is far too small for the names they put on, and is constantly wedged for them.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

for the next Michael/Emily Q&A, someone needs to ask them why the persist with the utterly dreadful tent for Sonic, which finishes at midnight, presumably because the sound can't be contained.

get a big normal type one (Acoustic tent size), and bang a few big name DJs in there from 11pm-3am, like Wow beside it, which is far too small for the names they put on, and is constantly wedged for them.

Agreed. I wish they would get rid of Sonic.  It look nice on aerial pictures and that's it. Such a terrible shape to actually enjoy a performance.  Wow is actually a pretty good venue, more of that please.

• Upvote 1

3am entry to the SE Corner is peak time these days.

Folk heading over from Arcadia, Silver Hayes, The Glade and  recently Elrow too.

Not great venues, often mediocre artists, variable sound and sound bleed make Silver Hayes a crap destination imo, needs a serious overhaul to remotely compare to the SE Corner.

Pretty sure that one entry point and restricting/stopping entry when the corner reaches 'capacity' doesn't help either...

Having said that, I have no idea what the solution is ?

They should nick TiTP's "King Tut's tent" (as they won't be needing it now the festival's been scrapped) much better than sonic and it'd keep the sound in better too.

Maybe plop Arcadia's Afterburner in the middle of the area instead of the spider up on the hill where they can't turn the music up loud.

I spent a night at silver hayes in 2016 for fatboy slim... was great but tried to go over to SE corner afterwards and couldnt get in which was a bit of a bummer... 3am and nowhere to go.

Which is a bit of a problem... I like the park, but the friends I go with now feel the need after the headliner to race immediately over to the SE corner before it shuts...even if theres cool stuff happening elsewhere. 

Went to silver hayes on the sunday in 2017 and it was a strange experience... it feels more exposed and "dodgy", and it definitely needs to be reworked somehow... we managed to get over to the SE corner afterwards I'm assuming because it was Sunday. 

1 hour ago, MetaKate said:

I spent a night at silver hayes in 2016 for fatboy slim... was great but tried to go over to SE corner afterwards and couldnt get in which was a bit of a bummer... 3am and nowhere to go.

Which is a bit of a problem... I like the park, but the friends I go with now feel the need after the headliner to race immediately over to the SE corner before it shuts...even if theres cool stuff happening elsewhere. 

Went to silver hayes on the sunday in 2017 and it was a strange experience... it feels more exposed and "dodgy", and it definitely needs to be reworked somehow... we managed to get over to the SE corner afterwards I'm assuming because it was Sunday. 

For after hours now I tend to go to Arcadia or the Stone Circle. In 2016,  I didnt watch a headliner when Adele was on the Pyramid. I went to the Shangri la & then the Unfairground for the night. I wouldn't bother trying to get in the SE corner unless I got in so early. After the headliners is bedlam.

I went to the SE on thursday in 2017. Mainly for a mooch around. Arcadia, whilst busy - is managable. If you go at it from the camp side, rather than from the bottom of the park.

I saw 2 silver hayes headliners in 2017. (Fatboy Slim & Shaggy).The first times I'd even been in that area since 2015 when I watched leftfield. I agree it is a weird area. Its the only area which is "just any other festival". It's just some tents really. 

36 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

For after hours now I tend to go to Arcadia or the Stone Circle. In 2016,  I didnt watch a headliner when Adele was on the Pyramid. I went to the Shangri la & then the Unfairground for the night. I wouldn't bother trying to get in the SE corner unless I got in so early. After the headliners is bedlam.

I went to the SE on thursday in 2017. Mainly for a mooch around. Arcadia, whilst busy - is managable. If you go at it from the camp side, rather than from the bottom of the park.

I saw 2 silver hayes headliners in 2017. (Fatboy Slim & Shaggy).The first times I'd even been in that area since 2015 when I watched leftfield. I agree it is a weird area. Its the only area which is "just any other festival". It's just some tents really. 

Ive only been 2 years... my "headliner" nights have been the following... 

2016- Friday went to metamorphisis and then met some new people who got us into the SE corner some secret back way... thinking back she was crew and obviously had some sort of special pass. 

Saturday- went to Fatboy slim, waited in a line to get into SE corner, never got in, not really sure where we went or what we did as we didnt go back to the tent until 6am. Everyone was a bit bother by this as we didnt realize it could happen, and its dictated our future nights. 

Sunday- got a bit intentionally seperated from my friends as we were having issues deciding on acts and I had enough. They went to SE corner, I fell down the rabbit hole alone. My best night of the festival tbh. 

2017- Friday- metamorphis and then stayed at arcadia until it ends, headed to SE corner and got in. 

Saturday- straight to the SE corner

Sunday- silver hayes then SE corner. 

My friends are obsessed with the SE corner and although I like it, I much more enjoy the nights I dont spend 100% there, but they are very concerned with not getting in like that fateful saturday in 2016. Although there is a certain satisfaction with going off on your own, there is a bit of loneliness in it at night I find. We will see what happens this year but I hope to convince them to spend a bit more time elsewhere, and I would happy if things look a bit more appealing.

I apologize for the lengthy post but I'm in Canada and tomorrow is a great day ?

Your username makes sense now. I don’t think I’ve seen a full set at Metamorphosis, although I’ve caught bits here and there. Must do this 

My friends are also obsessed with the SE corner but we’ve had good success getting in usually. Think it’s from sacking off a few headliners along the way

Edited by Phoenix Girl

They need the bigger venues backing onto the Pyramid/Other backstage though don't they for obvious reasons. I would love them to move lovebullets there though, that place is a bugger to clean.

Other than that I dont know what they can do, people have been moaning about the dance village ever since it was created.

I think putting Arcadia in there is a good idea actually. Then clawing back the field it is in now for camping.

The new alley they built was a good start though - by the Hare Krishna tent.

14 hours ago, TheBurns said:

There's been some excellent DJs in silver hayes recently, maybe not on the sonic stage but I'd have happily stayed at hessles takeover for another 3 hours. 

You're right, but without being that guy, the likes of Ben, Pangaea and Pearson ain't going to move large volumes of your general punter from the South East Corner. To make a dent in footfall, Emily would need to put much more mainstream/well-known/popular acts in Silver Hayes...

Ben

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MetaKate said:

Ive only been 2 years... my "headliner" nights have been the following... 

2016- Friday went to metamorphisis and then met some new people who got us into the SE corner some secret back way... thinking back she was crew and obviously had some sort of special pass. 

Saturday- went to Fatboy slim, waited in a line to get into SE corner, never got in, not really sure where we went or what we did as we didnt go back to the tent until 6am. Everyone was a bit bother by this as we didnt realize it could happen, and its dictated our future nights. 

Sunday- got a bit intentionally seperated from my friends as we were having issues deciding on acts and I had enough. They went to SE corner, I fell down the rabbit hole alone. My best night of the festival tbh. 

2017- Friday- metamorphis and then stayed at arcadia until it ends, headed to SE corner and got in. 

Saturday- straight to the SE corner

Sunday- silver hayes then SE corner. 

My friends are obsessed with the SE corner and although I like it, I much more enjoy the nights I dont spend 100% there, but they are very concerned with not getting in like that fateful saturday in 2016. Although there is a certain satisfaction with going off on your own, there is a bit of loneliness in it at night I find. We will see what happens this year but I hope to convince them to spend a bit more time elsewhere, and I would happy if things look a bit more appealing.

I apologize for the lengthy post but I'm in Canada and tomorrow is a great day ?

I wonder if that was backstage through T&C? Takes you straight into the back of Glasto Latino and you're in the SE Corner before any of the post-headliners herd!

And go steady today, Kate - my Dad is 76 and in Calgary and I advised him to pace himself today...!!!

:)

Ben

7 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

You're right, but without being that guy, the likes of Ben, Pangaea and Pearson ain't going to move large volumes of your general punter from the South East Corner. To make a dent in footfall, Emily would need to put much more mainstream/well-known/popular acts in Silver Hayes...

Ben

yes, exactly this. Making it stay open until 5am but with a line-up like 2017 won't make any difference. They need to change up the offering a bit to entice people in.

There's also been some good points made about the layout - the constant stream of people marching through SH sucks the vibe out of the place, especially when it's muddy.

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

I wonder if that was backstage through T&C? Takes you straight into the back of Glasto Latino and you're in the SE Corner before any of the post-headliners herd!

And go steady today, Kate - my Dad is 76 and in Calgary and I advised him to pace himself today...!!!

:)

Ben

Being properly off my face at this point, i cant be certain, but thinking back on it felt like we went up into the park, and behind tipi village? I'll never be sure. 

I'm also in Calgary, its going to be a beautiful 22° day tomorrow! I work in a pretty laid back environment and hoping if I bring some joints with me I can tempt my coworkers into ditching early. I hope your dad enjoys!

Just now, MetaKate said:

Being properly off my face at this point, i cant be certain, but thinking back on it felt like we went up into the park, and behind tipi village? I'll never be sure. 

I'm also in Calgary, its going to be a beautiful 22° day tomorrow! I work in a pretty laid back environment and hoping if I bring some joints with me I can tempt my coworkers into ditching early. I hope your dad enjoys!

Awww! Have a smashing day! And get to bed, for goodness' sake! It's a school night!

Are you Canadian or a colonial import?

Ben

Just now, bennyhana22 said:

Awww! Have a smashing day! And get to bed, for goodness' sake! It's a school night!

Are you Canadian or a colonial import?

Ben

Canadian night owl. Originally from Nova Scotia, but Glastonbury feels like home. My parents cant get over the fact I'm using my vacation for a 'music festival' rather than visiting them.

It doesn't need to stay open any later really, just be enough of a draw to take some of the pressure of the SE corner. What are the peak hours for the SE corner? after the Pyramid headliner till about 3am, I guess. So if they could put something special on, even just 1-2 am, that would make an enormous difference. But it would have to be pretty fucking special to change the habitual mindset of 'watch the headliners on Pyramid/Other, then head straight for the SE corner'