Park Stage 2019

Tuna

Margo Price was fantastic, but like I say, she’s a big performer, an entertainer, with a full band, not some diffident mumbling singer-songwriter. Flaming lips are exactly the kind of band that can work the Park Stage. Visually stunning, big show, a real performance.

Kurt Vile is fucking amazing, but I believe there’s better stages for him than The Park, where his songs can just sort of drift out over the heads of the audience and up the hill like some kind of mildly hummable fine mist. The Park is for acts who instantly grab the crowd by the Jaffa’s and don’t let go. Not an easy stage for a lot of artists to get a win on.

Ryley Walker last time, for example, was better placed on WH, than he would have been on the Park.

9 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Kurt Vile is fucking amazing, but I believe there’s better stages for him than The Park, where his songs can just sort of drift out over the heads of the audience and up the hill like some kind of mildly hummable fine mist. The Park is for acts who instantly grab the crowd by the Jaffa’s and don’t let go. Not an easy stage for a lot of artists to get a win on.

I completely agree. SFA were great in '15. King Gizz smashed it early doors up there.

The Flaming Lips were my highlight of 2017. Special.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Doesn't The Park stage finish early on Sunday night because of being near residential property? If that's the case then I struggle to see the logic as to why it would then stay open later the previous 2 nights as surely that'll piss off the locals more.

8 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

You know very well that you're on the wrong side of history with your opinions on First Aid Kit, I've told you many times.  But no I was not there, Hamilton was a must-see for me and he fucking killed it.

Seeing FAK in Brighton in a coupla weeks.  I shall return with my carefully considered opinion.

Also seeing Rolling Blackouts next week, but I've already got them down for JPT rather than Park, so a moot point really.

9 hours ago, Ducky89 said:

How good was that battles set? I knew nothing of them and I was blown away. CSS were good after, but my god Battles were so good!

9 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Best performance in 13 festivals. Utterly amazing.

That whole evening was brilliant ....

Last Shadow Puppets (with Matt Helders & Jack White); MGMT; Battles & CSS.

The best 'all-evening-at-one stage' I've been at ...

24 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Doesn't The Park stage finish early on Sunday night because of being near residential property? If that's the case then I struggle to see the logic as to why it would then stay open later the previous 2 nights as surely that'll piss off the locals more.

Maybe they've made a deal?  SIlver Hayes was also restricted for similar reasons, so it seems like those issues have gone away a little?

57 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Maybe they've made a deal?  SIlver Hayes was also restricted for similar reasons, so it seems like those issues have gone away a little?

Perhaps. Though would have thought if they were going to keep a smaller main stage open it would be JPT, given it would contain the noise a hell of a lot better. Would be able to get 10,000 in there too, and would split crowds better as there's already a decent amount of people near the Park due to Arcadia, would spread people across the site.

3 hours ago, Mardy said:

Margo Price was fantastic, but like I say, she’s a big performer, an entertainer, with a full band, not some diffident mumbling singer-songwriter. Flaming lips are exactly the kind of band that can work the Park Stage. Visually stunning, big show, a real performance.

Ryley Walker last time, for example, was better placed on WH, than he would have been on the Park.

I think I remember seeing KV a few years ago at The Park but was bored early on and headed up the hill instead ? 

3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

They're at the peak of their powers right now, the new album has levelled them up, show I saw in February was a tour de force

They were brilliant on the last tour. I'm seeing them twice in a week on this tour. Got a ticket for Brixton, then they added a Cambridge date, which my daughter could go to as it wasn't on a school night (she's only 8!), so got the two of us some for that as well!

5 hours ago, kevbizarre said:

Sylvan Esso should have a new album out next year and I’ve not seen them before - would be good I think 

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Good shout. For no particular reason, I've always imagined them playing JPT, but they would suit The Park really well too.

oh yes... This would work.

I still have nightmares recalling hanging around The Park on the Saturday night in 2016 waiting for Radiohead’s secret set. There was an hour and half gap between Mercury Rev and that Philip Glass “Heroes” symphony thingy. Seem to recall the thinking was that it doesn’t take an hour and half for a small orchestra to set/ tune up....and Radiohead could play in the gap in between.

Cue a small orchestra setting/ tuning up for an hour and a half.

Don’t think I’ve seen an act on the Park since Rae Morris and Father John in 2015, need to rectify that next year, from the names being thrown around in this thread sounds like my music taste has been broadened enough since then that the typical Park Stage acts will be within my remit.

5 hours ago, OddRon said:

Nice to see all the love for Rolling Blackouts on here, At Eotr last year they had a tiny but chuffed crowd on the main stage in the rain so it's nice to see them picking up steam

One of my albums of the year so far.  Sure there's more technically and artistically impressive stuff out there, but I just keep on playing it.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

For the Sylvan Esso fans on this thread, Spotify said that fans of SO like Overcoats, another electronic duo with folk influenced female vocals. I reckon virtually all of you will. A bit more chilled out, like Sylvan Esso meets First Aid Kit - well worth checking out:

Nice one @stuartbert two hats

Even if I had never been/was going to the festival, I would love this forum for the amount of new music I've discovered on here.

2 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

Nice one @stuartbert two hats

Even if I had never been/was going to the festival, I would love this forum for the amount of new music I've discovered on here.

Yeah, @Brave Sir Robin's playlist is a must in the 2-3 months leading up to the festival, the only time I stop listening to the playlists Spotify makes for me every week.

• Like 1

Would love to see some of the following:

Haley Heyndericx

Julien Baker (and her band with Phoebe Bridgers and Lucy Dacus - both of whom would also work)

Foxing

Kiran Leonard

Jamie Lenman

Gruff Rhys

Sharon Van Etten (headliner or might go up to JP/Other next year?)

Cursive

Tomberlin

Soccer Mommy

Hinds

How about John Carpenter? (Touring right now)