Park Stage 2019

Tuna

44 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Funny old stage, The Park. I’ve seen some of my favourite ever performances there, but i’ve also seen some of my most beloved acts crash and burn there. It’s a stage that responds to big communal gestures and acts, and a stage where smaller, more intimate performances can really get lost and just float away over the crowd. I think it’s a pretty terrible stage for soppy-arse fey singer songwriters (which is very much brand Mardy)

Yeah people often suggest the quieter acts for The Park, but really it's a place that needs something quite distinctive and immediate. It's a small stage with very busy surroundings, and pretty much the entire rest of the festival as a backdrop, it's easy for a more low key performance to get lost there.

3 hours ago, Bradders said:

I left her Shepherd’s Bush gig after about half an hour. Was not good at all.

:lol: I actually said 'normally' because of that exact gig. Deciding to play a load of rare cuts at her most high profile UK gig on the back of her most high profile album was a bad move. You certainly weren't the only person to leave early.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Yeah people often suggest the quieter acts for The Park, but really it's a place that needs something quite distinctive and immediate. It's a small stage with very busy surroundings, and pretty much the entire rest of the festival as a backdrop, it's easy for a more low key performance to get lost there.

Yeah, I always think it's a great stage for laid back acts.  Who did the best gigs I've seen at that stage? Battles, Jagwar Ma and DIzzee Rascal*. Fairly bombastic stuff.

* And John Grant, but that doesn't really fit my narrative ;)

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I was about to agree but the best coupla things I've seen on the stage were Margo Price and Hamilton Leithauser - and they were both lovely and intimate, as well as very laid back. So the quieter acts probably are decent if you're an early bird but if yer folky faves are on at 8pm then fuggedaboutit.

I'd like to see something eclectic on "The park" next year.

Flaming lips were a hoot and the secret set by Elbow was OK (apart from it not being very secret so it was packed).

Wolf Alice a couple of years ago proves its a good showcase for the next big thing.

48 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, I always think it's a great stage for laid back acts.  Who did the best gigs I've seen at that stage? Battles, Jagwar Ma and DIzzee Rascal*. Fairly bombastic stuff.

* And John Grant, but that doesn't really fit my narrative ;)

How good was that battles set? I knew nothing of them and I was blown away. CSS were good after, but my god Battles were so good!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I was about to agree but the best coupla things I've seen on the stage were Margo Price and Hamilton Leithauser - and they were both lovely and intimate, as well as very laid back. So the quieter acts probably are decent if you're an early bird but if yer folky faves are on at 8pm then fuggedaboutit.

Wouldn't class that Hamilton show as low key tbh, back to back bangers wasn't it

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Naw it was pretty tender when it needed to be and burst into life on the big moments. Was pretty fuckin perfect. Were you not at First Aid Shit?

You know very well that you're on the wrong side of history with your opinions on First Aid Kit, I've told you many times.  But no I was not there, Hamilton was a must-see for me and he fucking killed it.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

2 hours ago, OddRon said:

Was really dissapointed with Yo La Tengo at EOTR, I get their "thing" but the lack of hits and very dragged out jamming put us off big time, especially as it was the first act of the weekend for our group

Sounds well good 

Robyn? Im just hoping shes anywhere. 

Do we have it confirmed that the Park STAGE will be open later? Because that would be amazing... and I'm sure a lot of people would go post-headliner to see another act on the Park vs. Going to the SE corner...

It wouldnt be louder that arcadia re:noise pollution so I cant see why not!!

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

He played the Park a couple of years ago. Was rather packed, lost the crowd somewhat, all-in-all not one for the ages. It’s always a terrible place to be around teatime though.

I agree, he wasn't great. But he's perfect for the place. I do think his old band - I think they're called The War on Drugs or something - would be perfect Park headliner (although I don't think they'll be active next year). They sounded perfect on the Pyramid Fri morning 2014, and some on here thinking they could get a 'higher up' spot on same stage, but I think nighttime up at The Park against the non Macca/Cure headliner would be fab evening finish. Fri headliner on the Park it is then....

9 hours ago, dentalplan said:

That Friday afternoon was a great run; Margo Price > Hamilton Leithauser > Mark Lanegan > Angel Olsen > Elbow.

I missed the 1st half of Margo's set and then regretted that I had, got to the front for Hamilton and then just stayed there for the afternoon with a huge smile on my face before heading for Radiohead. My first Glastonbury and what a start.