Other Stage

FuzzyDunlop

Yeah the prospect of ending one of my nights with Wu-Tang doesn't excite me at all and if the rumours of Chemical Brothers headlining Other that night are true I really hope either the John Peel or Park come through with something great. Chemical Brothers would be good - really good in fact - but does feel a little bit of a waste to settle for them once again

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Chemical Brothers would be good - really good in fact - but does feel a little bit of a waste to settle for them once again

Chemical Brothers are a bit like having a Goan Fish Curry. You know what you're getting and you know that it's going to be good and satisfying. Just should you be looking for something more exciting and daring?

It's the continual Glastonbury conundrum with bands (and food).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'f we're going for a dance act with legendary status to appear on the Other stage i'd prefer to see the Prodigy. When was the last time they appeared, 2009? Definitely due a return.

I saw the Chems at Glasto in 2015 and again recently at Ally Pally so I'm kind of hoping Glasto decide to switch things up a bit instead of playing it safe.

Edited by EZYSEY

I've somehow never seen The Chemical Brothers, not really:

• In 2005 I went to Dance West (or East) and then wandered off because I forgot they were on.
  • In 2007, I stood at the back of Oxlyers in lashing rain for about one song.
  • At some non-specific point, I saw them DJ for the warehouse project.
  • Didn't go to the festival in 2011 or 2015.

So I'm well up for seeing them this year.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

• In 2005 I went to Dance West (or East) and then wandered off because I forgot they were on.

If you do end up seeing them (properly), you're in for a treat! :)

Which night is looking more likely for the Chems? Aren't they doing a gig somewhere on the Friday so that could make the sunday more likely? Add that with the fact they did the sunday in 15? 

I think ending the festival with the Chems is probably my best case scenario.

7 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Which night is looking more likely for the Chems? Aren't they doing a gig somewhere on the Friday so that could make the sunday more likely? Add that with the fact they did the sunday in 15? 

Edited by sisco

1 hour ago, Doug85 said:

They are playing a couple of hours down the road at the Eden Project on the Friday night. Could easily make it in for Saturday.

2 hours ago, Fishman said:

Chemical Brothers are a bit like having a Goan Fish Curry. You know what you're getting and you know that it's going to be good and satisfying. Just should you be looking for something more exciting and daring?

It's the continual Glastonbury conundrum with bands (and food).

That would make The Killers a growler. Stodgy, will fill you up and in the right mood can be enjoyable... but it's not particularly nutritious and in the cold light of day you'll wish you picked something else.

Edited by Hugh Jass
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

They are playing a couple of hours down the road at the Eden Project on the Friday night. Could easily make it in for Saturday.

Yeah I thought it wasn't too far away, think i'm hoping more for the Sunday but it could conceivably be either Sat/sun.  

Edited by Doug85

3 hours ago, Badlands said:

On their previous visit to Glastonbury, Wu Tang head man RZA appreciated the importance of the game, fielding a full strength team and even coming out of retirement to play himself. Sadly, recent performances have seen a more disrespectful approach, resting key men in exchange for youth members and reserves.

Bestival 2013 was essentially Wu Tang Clan Reserves. 

Not going to even mention the debacle that was Nozstock 2015 where they didn't even make it on to the pitch and were replaced by De La Soul.

If anybody is in two minds about seeing The Chemicals Brothers then you simply have to go watch them. 

I've seen them 4 times (Creamfields 2005 and Glasto 2007, 2011 and 2015) and they never disappoint.

Hit after hit and visuals to match. 

One of the best things you will ever witness in that sacred field. 

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It was 2004 (not 05 FYI), plus they headlined the Pyramid in 2000 (for you completists!).

11 minutes ago, Homer said:

It was 2004 (not 05 FYI), plus they headlined the Pyramid in 2000 (for you completists!).

2004 was the Other stage, 2005 was Dance East. I don't know if the dance village set was live - seems a big step down from headlining Other every other recent time.

I'd forgotten about 2004.  I was at that festival too, watching Oasis :(

28 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

dont suppose there is any chance of Prodigy and Chems?  

Speaking even as a Prodigy fanboy, I think their time at the festival may have come and gone. I guess there's an outside possibility for Other Stage headline in 2020 (not Pyramid headline worthy these days and they'll probably only play at night. Subbing would be a disaster too, see Reading Festival 2009) but this year it seems like there's a fair few options for the Other Stage 

Actually getting Tame Impala to headline the other stage this year when they are headlining every festival they are doing across the planet is a tremendous booking by Glastonbury.

best booking on the lineup. No doubt their next album will be massive and everyone will realise how much of a coup this is.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Actually getting Tame Impala to headline the other stage this year when they are headlining every festival they are doing across the planet is a tremendous booking by Glastonbury.

best booking on the lineup. No doubt their next album will be massive and everyone will realise how much of a coup this is.

Surely that depends on how big an act is in any given country? Bottom line is, they’re not exactly huge in the UK.

23 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Surely that depends on how big an act is in any given country? Bottom line is, they’re not exactly huge in the UK.

Yeah, pretty much - it doesn't matter at all how big they are in the US or wherever. I'm struggling to think of a major UK festival that would book them to headline right now - in UK terms they're less of a ticket seller than even the IOW headliners and that lineup has been getting absolutely slated. And I say all that knowing that unless they're up against The Cure, I'll probably go watch them.

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

On the contrary I'd rather see the festival have them headline the Pyramid and establish them as UK festival headliners. They're the exact sort of act the festival needs to give a bump up to, they're current, critically renowned, hype machine running full blast and crucially passed their 2016 sub-headline test with flying colours.

Obviously they might end up headlining the Pyramid in 2021/2022 anyway but given their headline status globally, why not now?