Other Stage

FuzzyDunlop

37 minutes ago, snailcheeks said:

Loving the news about Tame Impala

What are peoples thoughts on the Doves playing somewhere? Wouldn't want to miss them if they are headlining another stage.

Doves will almost certainly turn up somewhere, although I'm surprised by how low some of the slots they seem to be taking this summer are.

Possibly JP headliner (Friday would do me) or even 3rd/4th down the Other wouldn't shock me.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Doves will almost certainly turn up somewhere, although I'm surprised by how low some of the slots they seem to be taking this summer are.

Possibly JP headliner (Friday would do me) or even 3rd/4th down the Other wouldn't shock me.

Would a Park headline spot be out of the question?

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Not HUGELY excited about the prospect of Tame Impala being one of my headliners, but if there’s nothing else on then they’re a nice safe option, and assuming a new album is on the way then it might even seem like a much better prospect nearer the time if it turns out to be a good’un.

Yeah, need a new album for it to be any different to last time they played.

Anyone have any news on that?

10 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Definitely coming but don't think we have a date - he said didn't want to have to hit any deadline. Being in the dark will make the show quite different though for starters, their light show is immense.

26 minutes ago, Bradders said:

When its dark and headlining it would be much better. Plus the crowd would all actually be there to see them and not just there because they are on before someone else?? 

Get what your saying though the set list would likely be very very similar. The light show could make a big difference in atmosphere though. 

Surprised we’ve not got a date for new Tame stuff. You think it would be out before they play Coachella. He’s said he doesn’t like playing unreleased songs as it doesn’t go down great so I’m certain we’ll have the new album before Glasto. 

Its unlikely we’ll get Tame and Vampire weekend both headling the Other? 

1 hour ago, Ged Devereux said:

Surprised we’ve not got a date for new Tame stuff. You think it would be out before they play Coachella. He’s said he doesn’t like playing unreleased songs as it doesn’t go down great so I’m certain we’ll have the new album before Glasto. 

Its unlikely we’ll get Tame and Vampire weekend both headling the Other? 

I think Vampire Weekend will be Pyramid, I don’t know if they’ll sub but they will be near the top. 

Excellent news about Tame Impala. Their set at Glastonbury in 2016 was special. 

I will make sure to be close to the front. Saw them in Madrid last year from far away, and they made the mistake of messing with the big screens. Instead of just showing the band and including everyone, it was just a poor mix of average effects and psychedelic outlines of Kevin Parker. Why do so many bands make this mistake? Arctic Monkeys and Radiohead at Glastonbury in 13 and 17 come to mind.

8 hours ago, bombfrog said:

You're right, I just had to look it up. Worst thing was, I must have watched it as I certainly didn't go to any of the other things clashing with them. Still, that was 12 years ago. They're an Other Stage headliner at best now, surely?

Almost certainly won’t watch them, as I didn’t in 07, but I think they’re clearly headliner size still. Did Rock Werchter and similar last year and sold out Hyde Park in 2017.

Outside of this forum, in the real world, they’ll probably go down as the most popular booking of the three headliners if it is Stormzy and The Cure (although Stormzy will almost certainly and correctly get the most attention)

Edited by strummer77

14 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Not HUGELY excited about the prospect of Tame Impala being one of my headliners, but if there’s nothing else on then they’re a nice safe option, and assuming a new album is on the way then it might even seem like a much better prospect nearer the time if it turns out to be a good’un.

This is me.

I dont think my mates are up for seeing thrm either. So I'll probably miss them.

Kool and the Gang are around. Get them on WH on the Friday!

13 hours ago, Anarion said:

Excellent news about Tame Impala. Their set at Glastonbury in 2016 was special. 

I will make sure to be close to the front. Saw them in Madrid last year from far away, and they made the mistake of messing with the big screens. Instead of just showing the band and including everyone, it was just a poor mix of average effects and psychedelic outlines of Kevin Parker. Why do so many bands make this mistake? Arctic Monkeys and Radiohead at Glastonbury in 13 and 17 come to mind.

Tame Impala have done that since I've known of them, I remember watching them mid afternoon on the Other Stage and they did the same thing. 

Personally I'm a massive fan of visuals hut at a show that big you have to do it on a separate screen behind you or at least somehow merge the visuals and you. For most, the screens are there to see the band. 

30 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Gave Currents a listen on my way into work... it’s  not for me. I mean, it’s pleasant enough but all the songs sound the same to me.

I’ll be looking elsewhere for my Friday night fun.

I'm really hoping they move away from the sound of Currents. Gave it a whirl last night after the news of them topping Other and it still doesn't really do it for me after all this time. A few standout tracks, but as you say, very samey. Doubt they're gonna go back to the psychey feel of their first two albums but I'd be interested in them moving in a totally different direction.

39 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm really hoping they move away from the sound of Currents. Gave it a whirl last night after the news of them topping Other and it still doesn't really do it for me after all this time. A few standout tracks, but as you say, very samey. Doubt they're gonna go back to the psychey feel of their first two albums but I'd be interested in them moving in a totally different direction.

I’m pretty sure the word is that Kevin is working with Mark Ronson on the new album. First time he’ll have worked with anyone else on a Tame Impala album, so it’s bound to be very different. Ronson’s a fantastic pop producer, just wary of how it mixes with the Tame Impala sound.

14 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I’m pretty sure the word is that Kevin is working with Mark Ronson on the new album. First time he’ll have worked with anyone else on a Tame Impala album, so it’s bound to be very different. Ronson’s a fantastic pop producer, just wary of how it mixes with the Tame Impala sound.

Daffodils is a banger, more of that please

• Upvote 1