Why Glastonbury? Glastonbury isn’t ‘just’ a festival.

JessicaGlastoLover

On 10/16/2018 at 1:48 PM, Pinhead said:

Yes, good luck in the resale. A lot is said on here and elsewhere of Glasto being something special and often it seems a bit OTT. But there remains I think something special about the place despite all the enormous changes that I have witness in just my few 20 visits ;)

I have visions right now of finally making it through the gate on Wednesday, superimposed with the scenes from Gladiator when Maximus enters the Colosseum for the first time.... Perhaps I should kneel, scrape a little of the Worthy soil and rub it between my hands as well.

Am I a total arse for admitting that I do kneel down and quickly and discretely kiss the turf and say thank you, as soon as I’m through the gates...? 2016 was a bit less pleasant to do, but heigh ho...!

Ben

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Am I a total arse for admitting that I do kneel down and quickly and discretely kiss the turf and say thank you, as soon as I’m through the gates...? 2016 was a bit less pleasant to do, but heigh ho...!

Ben

Amongst many classes of people that might make you an arse, Benny; but among the members of this forum, who read & write about the festival on a regular basis throughout the year, even when it’s not even on, I think your reputation is safe.

I’ve never quite kissed the turf, but the feeling of absolute elation I get when I finally get through the gates is as good as any I’ll get all week. Well, maybe not that good, but up there!

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Amongst many classes of people that might make you an arse, Benny; but among the members of this forum, who read & write about the festival on a regular basis throughout the year, even when it’s not even on, I think your reputation is safe.

I’ve never quite kissed the turf, but the feeling of absolute elation I get when I finally get through the gates is as good as any I’ll get all week. Well, maybe not that good, but up there!

Out of upvotes today (it’s been that kind of a posting day in this happy place, I think), but beautiful response, BSR. 

Ben x

9 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

I don’t think you’re an arse.. what I think is how much more I will appreciate going the next time I’m there!

Made me cry reading this. I found T day so stressful I had decided to try for 2020 and then call it a day. Who am I kidding? I will keep going till they have to carry me out.

I particularly liked the idea of the Pilton wormhole that takes you to a place that is very other. Just wish that it was not such a b*st*rd getting on board.

1 hour ago, baggienick68 said:

Made me cry reading this. I found T day so stressful I had decided to try for 2020 and then call it a day. Who am I kidding? I will keep going till they have to carry me out.

I particularly liked the idea of the Pilton wormhole that takes you to a place that is very other. Just wish that it was not such a b*st*rd getting on board.

Aww sorry to make you cry. It’s shit not getting a ticket isn’t it :( good luck for April. I fear it’s going to be even worse :( 

Great post, @JessicaGlastoLover! Loved reading it. Filled me with excitement for June but disappointment for those like yourself who still face the uncertainty of the resale. It really is an amazing place and I'll never tire of reading / listening to how it makes people feel and what it means to everyone. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would be willing to help and stick you on there batch, if I have space, I'll let you know. Really hope you and all our fellow efesters make it to the farm next year and hopefully see you there!

2 hours ago, JessicaGlastoLover said:

Aww sorry to make you cry. It’s shit not getting a ticket isn’t it :( good luck for April. I fear it’s going to be even worse :( 

Yeah, the thing is although I failed miserably, my mate got the tickets on his phone. Still felt exhausted and found myself worrying about 2020. Crazy.

Your post though was lovely.

2 hours ago, jyoung said:

Great post, @JessicaGlastoLover! Loved reading it. Filled me with excitement for June but disappointment for those like yourself who still face the uncertainty of the resale. It really is an amazing place and I'll never tire of reading / listening to how it makes people feel and what it means to everyone. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who would be willing to help and stick you on there batch, if I have space, I'll let you know. Really hope you and all our fellow efesters make it to the farm next year and hopefully see you there!

Ah thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed reading it :) I am hopeful for April.. fingers crossed. And thank you for the offer of help. I am building up an army of helpers lol.. 

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Thanks for the links, I’ll give them a read. How do you think I would go about getting my writing more noticed ?!.. would love for it to make the papers!! 

Fantastic post! Lots of it I thought "definitely" other parts not so much - illustrating perfectly your point about everyone's experience being individual.

It’s not just a festival because it’s place you can go to heal

That bit made me shiver!

Best of luck in the resale x

20 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

I can tell you as an Oxfam steward of, I think, 10 years now, you are far from alone in doing that

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

@Brave Sir Robin and @bennyhana22 I've also kissed the turf on many occasions at Glastonbury. Well, more like the turf has kissed me as I crash over due to being, ahem, a little bit too in love with the place and bimbling! 

Leave no trace (except a faceprint)

Edited by semmtexx
  • Upvote 1

I’ve bought twenty tickets this year, twelve in the general sale and four in each of the two local sales that lasted less than three minutes each. All our group and friends who go have tickets now. Pm your reg and postcode and I’ll happily give yours a go in the resales for you as well if any help. 

Edited by Shepton
Spelling

On 10/18/2018 at 2:09 PM, JoeyT said:

Thanks for this, loved the Lars speech. I'm only a greatest hits Metallica fan and only stayed for the first half of their set. All of my friends wanted to go to Depacio, which was excellent but is was very difficult to leave Metallica. This makes it an even better memory. Also welcome to the forum Jessica, read your story before on a certain FB page... it's good there but it's better here. :)

On 10/18/2018 at 7:52 PM, Miesh said:

Fantastic post! Lots of it I thought "definitely" other parts not so much - illustrating perfectly your point about everyone's experience being individual.

It’s not just a festival because it’s place you can go to heal

That bit made me shiver!

Best of luck in the resale x

Great feedback , thank you :) so pleased you can relate to my post. Blown away by the positive comments I have received. Have a great time in June! 

On 10/20/2018 at 9:45 PM, DJL said:

Thanks for this, loved the Lars speech. I'm only a greatest hits Metallica fan and only stayed for the first half of their set. All of my friends wanted to go to Depacio, which was excellent but is was very difficult to leave Metallica. This makes it an even better memory. Also welcome to the forum Jessica, read your story before on a certain FB page... it's good there but it's better here. :)

Well, that’s very kind! Thanks very much ?

On 10/20/2018 at 8:45 PM, Shepton said:

I’ve bought twenty tickets this year, twelve in the general sale and four in each of the two local sales that lasted less than three minutes each. All our group and friends who go have tickets now. Pm your reg and postcode and I’ll happily give yours a go in the resales for you as well if any help. 

Wow , what an achievement! I am in a group of 4 and don’t want to deviate away from my crew.. But I would love for you to help us out if you wouldn’t mind!? :) thank you !