Going off site

Jay89

YES - Under no circumstances use a stove, BBQ or any other type of cooking appliance inside your tent (or even close to the opening) fire or carbon monoxide poisoning can put a real downer on your festival - especially if you die!

In my opinion there is too much to see and do to spend 2-3 hours popping out to the shops once the bonfire has been lit and the fireworks have been set off!

If you do decide to go shopping. Pitch your tent, so you get a good spot, dump all your stuff in the free lockups, and go shopping on Wednesday or very early on Thursday and get enough to last the rest of the weekend. 

Once it all kicks off you don't want to miss anything.

On 14 October 2018 at 4:05 PM, Jay89 said:

I don’t drink spirits, lager and cider only ?‍♀️

And I wish I had unlimited budget to ‘enjoy festival more’, but it’ll cost me well over £500 just to get there, so excuse me if I have breakfast in a tent instead.

I think that H.M.V was just expressing an opinion she wasn't being unkind to you. However to leave the site once you are ther for supplies is just something I would not do . If your parents are coming to Worthy View why don't you ask them to take some of your supplies for you even if they are coming by coach.

Cheers guys, some great ideas here! Should probably change the topic to ‘Glasto on a budget’ or ‘packing light’, but no, really, thanks for being helpful, never had a disadvantage of travelling by coach to festival that far. Usually attend north-side festivals for convenience really.

To echo what someone else said, Shepton might be a better bet for you. I have used that bus service and the stop is right outside a huge Tesco store, so no navigation required. Might end up being a 2 hour round trip, £3 each way on the bus and you're done. Can't really think of anywhere closer or more accessible really.  But Shepton rather than Glastonbury town for sure.

• Upvote 1

I've been thinking of this option myself.  I'm going with a Glasto virgin this year who is especially amenable to cool cans.  We're on a Thursday See coach which may have an early start getting in at 0930ish if the coach gods aren't kind.  Looking at the timetables, to Shepton you've got a 1h15 window if cutting off-site time to a bare minimum.  It drops off at the Cenotaph https://goo.gl/maps/z92jxHrGDx12 which is next door to Tesco, also Sports Direct for the festival tat they sell there. It's early days yet, but if I do get an early coach slot I'll certainly consider doing my good deed and getting a couple of crates, those cool bags and lots and lots of ice to keep my party placated.

I've done the Tesco run once. It was great to get supplies of food and drink...  We emptied our backpacks and filled them with cider and snacks. But it was 3 hours out of our festival time. I haven't done it since, we didnt really need a cheeseboard, nice as it was! Can have proper food once you're home. I just take some cereal bars, chocolate pancakes and babybells now.

6 hours ago, Becks12 said:

I've done the Tesco run once. It was great to get supplies of food and drink...  We emptied our backpacks and filled them with cider and snacks. But it was 3 hours out of our festival time. I haven't done it since, we didnt really need a cheeseboard, nice as it was! Can have proper food once you're home. I just take some cereal bars, chocolate pancakes and babybells now.

I disagree - you always need a cheeseboard! ?

49 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Hells yeah I'm bringing a cheesboard. Fortunately going in the van this time so won't be stinking. :D

Best part of a van! Cheeseboard, crackers and el porto! Wahey!

I loves a drop of port with a bit of cheese. Ooooh yum!

14 minutes ago, Gedh said:

Does a string bag of Babybels count  as a cheeseboard?

Yes indeed. Once rather wasted I tried to eat the entire babybel plus wrapper. Not nice. Doubt I was the first to try...

1 minute ago, semmtexx said:

Can't have a cheeseboard without Port! I usually carry a hip flask for evenings filled with it too. I can't drink whiskey neat and port gives nice warming qualities. Oh and some chutney. For the board, not in my hip flask. 

6 minutes ago, semmtexx said:

Youve already been upvoted for your promised bimbling map drawing, close to another one here..

so what is the cheese of choice for Tuesday night then @semmtexx @H.M.V

34 minutes ago, BlueDaze said:

Youve already been upvoted for your promised bimbling map drawing, close to another one here..

so what is the cheese of choice for Tuesday night then @semmtexx @H.M.V

For me its a really crumbly mature cheddar, Lancashire bomber, rouille and something else. With gluten-free crackers so supect I'll be eating a lot of this ?. I might make some mackerel pate as well. Cos it's yummy. 

6 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

For me its a really crumbly mature cheddar, Lancashire bomber, rouille and something else. With gluten-free crackers so supect I'll be eating a lot of this ?. I might make some mackerel pate as well. Cos it's yummy. 

Comte and Morbier are the absolute go to's for me. I may honour the region and get some West Country Cheddar.

Home made mackerel pate.. i like the sound of that..

They dont do any of this shit in CV West you know...!!?? Heathens.

Just now, BlueDaze said:

Comte and Morbier are the absolute go to's for me. I may honour the region and get some West Country Cheddar.

Home made mackerel pate.. i like the sound of that..

They dont do any of this shit in CV West you know...!!?? Heathens.

I heard they all use toilet tents! ?

2 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Can't have a cheeseboard without Port! I usually carry a hip flask for evenings filled with it too. I can't drink whiskey neat and port gives nice warming qualities. Oh and some chutney. For the board, not in my hip flask. 

Hip flask and port? Thats bloody genius!

Edit: I'll expand, only ever thought of spirits in a hip flask! Yes yes naive I know!

Edited by semmtexx