Show Down at Glastonbury 1992

McCor

I have just watched that in its entirety now, in work on nights. While there are some, erm, interesting statements:

The first crack to be sold in the UK was actually sold at the festival. Who knew?

One in ever 100 attendees is a drug dealer. Really?

There are however some genuine gripes raised by the locals that Michael does his best to alleviate. All in all though it's a very interesting watch and a good snapshot as to what things were like back in the early 90's. 

From an article in the Graun in 2010:

Ann Goode's cross still overlooks the festival site. Her daughter, Vivien, says: "For all it is better run and controlled, I still say the site build and strip-down still takes too long and the environmental cost is too big." Could she ever learn to love the festival? "No," she replies. "I don't think I could say that."

And yet, this year she is allowing private camping on her land for the first time. She needs a new roof, she explains.

I wonder what she's up to these days, if she's still there?

5 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Anne died in 2004. Has been discussed on this forum before. Her daughter has been profiting from their proximity to the festival for years. Super documentary. 

How has she profited? Renting fields for camping?

6 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I camped in that field with the cross a couple of times.  It is where Tangerine Fields was in 2011 & 2013 (not sure if they're still in the same field).  I have a picture somewhere.

Yes it's still there in the TF top field....stayed there in 2017....and also drove past only recently. 

It's a really interesting snapshot of a different era. It probably captures the end of one era with travellers stopped from getting onsite and the start of the mid 90's 'mass fence hopping' era culminating in 2000 and the end of that era.

With hindsight, you can see the seeds of 2000 in the video. They passingly refer to tunneling under the fence and Eavis referring to them as 'entrepreneurs' charging 20 quid and they never really got to grips with it. Would have been interesting if they'd done another documentary in 99/2000 when the fencejumping was out of control. That must have been a difficult time for the locals.

Have watched it a couple of times before, but only ever seen it in parts not full video before.

Like others say interesting to see how the festival was viewed (especially locals) some 25 years ago and nothing like it is these days!

Now the only chaos is people trying to get tickets on their computer!

7 minutes ago, Keithy said:

It's a really interesting snapshot of a different era. It probably captures the end of one era with travellers stopped from getting onsite and the start of the mid 90's 'mass fence hopping' era culminating in 2000 and the end of that era.

With hindsight, you can see the seeds of 2000 in the video. They passingly refer to tunneling under the fence and Eavis referring to them as 'entrepreneurs' charging 20 quid and they never really got to grips with it. Would have been interesting if they'd done another documentary in 99/2000 when the fencejumping was out of control. That must have been a difficult time for the locals.

They did.

https://g1rm.wordpress.com/2017/06/19/glastonbury-man-bbc-documentary-from-2000/

17 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

Aye but, although interesting, that was a bit of a BBC puffpiece about him and the history of the festival rather than what CH4 did over several episodes about the village and locals. 

Also available here http://www.agbfilms.co.uk/productions/glastonburyman.html as the YouTube one is blocked in the UK

3 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Aye but, although interesting, that was a bit of a BBC puffpiece about him and the history of the festival rather than what CH4 did over several episodes about the village and locals. 

Also available here http://www.agbfilms.co.uk/productions/glastonburyman.html as the YouTube one is blocked in the UK

This guy recently uploaded all of the 1998 BBC coverage (listened to a lot of it at work over the summer!)

Within that there are a lot of 'glastonbury shorts' which were made by video nation, features emily eavis, locals, people working at the festival and punters. I found them quite interesting!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCikrde4Kfl3hu39d4-_zaXg

• Upvote 1