Things to do other than the music

RarerThanDandyB

Lots of people like me are stating how there is more to the festival than music. Music is only a tiny slice of the festival. What can people recommend for people to do if they are first timers other than watching bands since the mindset for a first timer is staying at the music (well it was for me). 

3 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Lots of people like me are stating how there is more to the festival than music. Music is only a tiny slice of the festival. What can people recommend for people to do if they are first timers other than watching bands since the mindset for a first timer is staying at the music (well it was for me). 

Like specifically? I feel like even that is going to be difficult because there's always new stuff every year. My advice would be to just wander about a bit, allow yourself to take a random interest in some strange tent or stall instead beelining from act to act you already know. This applies to music too, just pop into a stage or stick around for half an hour/twenty minutes listening to some brass reggae or whatever. You may discover something you love.

I don't even think this takes too much conscious effort, though. I remember my first year I had in my head a tight schedule of bands I wanted to see and after like two I realised I couldn't be arsed to powerwalk the mile through the crowd to see them when there was something just as interesting right where I was.

Make something in the Craft fields. 

I missed our wedding anniversary being at the festival in 2017. I took my wired head to that area and made my wife a copper bracelet. Was not expensive and they helped at each stage, I managed to knock the date into it. Did it make up for missing it.....

You could have a go at lots of things from stain glass windows to head pieces formed with flowers.

Walking from camper fields East you have the pleasure of coming through the T & C fields with lots going on

I love the T&C fields.  I was wandering through there on my first visit to go to the acoustic tent to see someone on my list.  I was blown away by what was going on there - it just felt like I'd found the real Glastonbury and I was allowed into the interesting side of life rather than my boring, middle aged existence.  The time came for the act in the acoustic so I dragged myself away from the T&C field - I spent about 5 minutes watching the music and then hared back to the field for more bonkersness.

I agree - just wander - certainly don't obsess with who's on the main stages.

Oh and visit Strummerville!

Talk to a lot of randomers :)

Watch the sun rise over the festival from just below the stone circle...weather permitting. It really is beautiful. 2016 was ace for this despite the gross conditions (which meant I was sitting in an awful lot of mud watching it, but as I was already filthy by then it didn't really matter)

Another vote for T&C, love it there and in the Caberet Tent. I don't get the appeal of the craft field (I'm not wasting time at Glastonbury making a fucking spoon*) but plenty do so that's an option. Unfairground and the rest of the SE corner have interesting stuff to gawp at. Just spending time chatting in a bar has also given me some of my favourite memories. 

*No idea what a fucking spoon is but it sounds a bit kinky. Maybe I will make one.

I was up really early on the Sunday in 2017.... around 6am, due to the heat in the tent. I wandered up to the Park from Darble, and strolled straight up the ribbon tower with no queue. Watching the stragglers finding their way back to their tents, and looking out over the whole site was magical. I was a bit down, knowing it would soon be over, and that there was to be no festival the following year made me think I may never be back. It was quite bittersweet, but remains a great memory.  Luckily I will be back next year, but don’t know how many I have left in me. Intend trying to do this every year I go in future.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

I like the SE corner during the day or evening (I can't cope with is in the early hours) - again it makes me feel a part of the cool crowd!  (though I know I'm not really, just living it vicariously!)

I like to do this also. Once when I had to escape from the huge crowd of deckchair merchants watching Paul Simon I took a walk round Shangri la etc.  Got some great photos of the artwork and had a few nice cocktails, was quite relaxing compared to the usual mayhem.

1 minute ago, rubenz said:

I like to do this also. Once when I had to escape from the huge crowd of deckchair merchants watching Paul Simon I took a walk round Shangri la etc.  Got some great photos of the artwork and had a few nice cocktails, was quite relaxing compared to the usual mayhem.

Yeah the artwork and the effort put in generally to make such a cool place is phenomenal!

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Drugs

Yes, but remember there can be lots of choice. No good spending your time with only one experience. Try some different ones in different places. Funny what you can locate with a bimble. But accept that you can't do them all . We all know how big Glastonbury is, do not try to fit it all into one festival. ?

And you need to have some at home for recovery.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I've always wanted to do the tomatino thing but the thoughts of wandering around with tomato reeking off me turned me off. If it's there this time I'm going for it cos we'll have the caravan. 

Didn't they change that last year and it was UV paint instead?

Not the best link - https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/glastonbury-2017-temple-area-promises-107854

Edited by vintagelaureate

1 hour ago, vintagelaureate said:

Didn't they change that last year and it was UV paint instead?

Not the best link - https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/glastonbury-2017-temple-area-promises-107854

I always thought there were two, one tomato and one UV. Damn, looked it up and they got rid of it with the new Temple.