Lost in Vagueness Documentary

Phoenix Girl

For those who haven’t seen it, I got an email last week about the Lost in Vagueness documentary being available on iTunes now for about a fiver to rent (bit more to buy).

Anyway, we then found it on Sky Arts for free (although my husband pays for a very comprehensive Sky package because you know- sport, so I don’t know if free for everyone).

We watched it tonight and it’s quite interesting to learn some of the back story of Lost Vagueness. Feel a bit sorry for Roy Gurvitz- without his creativeness, I don’t think Shangri- La would be anything like it is today. But he does sound like a right character!

Great to see younger Michael and Emily in it too.

Shangri-La blows my mind every time I’m there.

2 hours ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Feel a bit sorry for Roy Gurvitz- without his creativeness, I don’t think Shangri- La would be anything like it is today. But he does sound like a right character!

He was sat near us when they did a premiere at the Everyman in Bristol a while ago.  He seems like he's still quite a character, was very recognisable and everyone gave him a round of applause when he was pointed out.

There's a page on FB with all sorts of info and they post about merchandise and the like.

7 hours ago, clarkete said:

He was sat near us when they did a premiere at the Everyman in Bristol a while ago.  He seems like he's still quite a character, was very recognisable and everyone gave him a round of applause when he was pointed out.

There's a page on FB with all sorts of info and they post about merchandise and the like.

You might have been sat next to us, he sat in front of us. :D

7 hours ago, clarkete said:

Amazing, I wish I could have gone to one of the showings but we live in the sticks.

Will check out the fb page tho 

6 hours ago, Peroni said:

Thanks.  I actually sponsored the original work (I'm sure there was a post on here)  got a T-shirt...still need to watch it though!)

Yeah I vaguely remember this from my reading but not posting days of efests. Not sure why I didn’t chip in at the time but there you go

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

you were there too? I was sat directly behind him.

I really should have recognised you, but in my defence it's been a while and I've always had my Glasto head on, which is pretty fuzzy at the best of times. They were some of the fuzxiest ?

• 4 months later...

watched this iver the weekend

it was great , good to see where areas have come from and the people behind them

Roy seems like a total legend, complete nut job.. but i think you have to have an element of that to do what he did.

On 10/12/2018 at 10:03 PM, Phoenix Girl said:

For those who haven’t seen it, I got an email last week about the Lost in Vagueness documentary being available on iTunes now for about a fiver to rent (bit more to buy).

Anyway, we then found it on Sky Arts for free (although my husband pays for a very comprehensive Sky package because you know- sport, so I don’t know if free for everyone).

We watched it tonight and it’s quite interesting to learn some of the back story of Lost Vagueness. Feel a bit sorry for Roy Gurvitz- without his creativeness, I don’t think Shangri- La would be anything like it is today. But he does sound like a right character!

Great to see younger Michael and Emily in it too.

Shangri-La blows my mind every time I’m there.

Thanks for that info, found it on sky arts catch up.

15 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

You've just reminded me I need to chase up the fact I crowd funded this and never got the copy of the film I was promised.

I emailed them last week after some chat on the forum about the doc - no response yet.

8 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

You've just reminded me I need to chase up the fact I crowd funded this and never got the copy of the film I was promised.

Keep us informed about this. This sort of thing really fucks me off and puts people off doing it again with other less c**t people. It's theft. 

Meanwhile, on a separate note, I found Roy a clearly troubled soul, though only has himself to blame for pushing virtually everyone close away from him. 

Never really get how a man that is generally selfish,  unpleasant, and not a great family man gets called 'legend' and a 'character. If a women behaved like this the reaction would be very different. See Keith Alan for another example. 

LV was awesome when it started and what it ended up turning into is incredible, probably saved the festival. That said, I don't believe it was better then than it is now. The last year LV was on, half the stuff wasn't there or ready on the Thursday and it was clearly in need of a revamp. The atmosphere had gone. Timing for something new was clear to everyone.  

Edited by danbailey80
Wrong info
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

Keep us informed about this. This sort of thing really fucks me off and puts people off doing it again with other less c**t people. It's theft. 

Meanwhile, on a separate note, I found Roy a clearly troubled soul, though only has himself to blame for pushing virtually everyone close away from him. 

Never really get how a man that is generally selfish,  unpleasant, and not a great family man gets called 'legend' and a 'character. If a women behaved like this the reaction would be very different. See Keith Alan for another example. 

LV was awesome when it started and what it ended up turning into is incredible, probably saved the festival. That said, I don't believe it was better then than it is now. The last year LV was on, half the stuff wasn't there or ready on the Thursday and it was clearly in need of a revamp. The atmosphere had gone. Timing for something new was clear to everyone.  

I'm still not sure whether it's incompetence or greed. I'm pretty sure forgetting to send the video to everyone who pledged something other than just the video was an oversight, but only sending it to those who directly (and repeatedly) complained is really a bit shit.  But the thing that really doesn't sit well with me is selling on the rights to Sky before the backers got to see their film really cuts against the idea of something like Kickstarter. And if they needed the extra funding to actually complete the film, then they certainly didn't tell the backers.

I've still not had my Madness download despite chasing multiple times.

I know it's a first film and Sofia had a baby in the middle of everything, but it's still a bit shabby.

23 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm still not sure whether it's incompetence or greed. I'm pretty sure forgetting to send the video to everyone who pledged something other than just the video was an oversight, but only sending it to those who directly (and repeatedly) complained is really a bit shit.  But the thing that really doesn't sit well with me is selling on the rights to Sky before the backers got to see their film really cuts against the idea of something like Kickstarter. And if they needed the extra funding to actually complete the film, then they certainly didn't tell the backers.

I've still not had my Madness download despite chasing multiple times.

I know it's a first film and Sofia had a baby in the middle of everything, but it's still a bit shabby.

There's no excuse. Incompetence is absolutely no excuse. It just shows they don't care enough to sort it which is only thinking about themselves. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

I wonder if everyone got their DVDs in the end...? After all, SKY would have paid enough...

I only got my download code by badgering her for ages. And I'd torrented it by then. Never got the extra Madness video either.

It's particularly annoying because I campaigned for her on here to get it made.