Ticket day being a bit strange

guypjfreak

Looks like they have closed down all the loopholes (back button to repurchase another set, the two DNS, etc/hosts errors and probably now the unannounced watchthatpage flash sale).  Plus the advantage of going for Coach tix has faded.  Those meant that in the past the dedicated/organised/IT literate had an advantage.  I have benefitted from all of those in the past, but now need to rely solely on luck.

2 hours ago, timbrass said:

Looks like they have closed down all the loopholes (back button to repurchase another set, the two DNS, etc/hosts errors and probably now the unannounced watchthatpage flash sale).  Plus the advantage of going for Coach tix has faded.  Those meant that in the past the dedicated/organised/IT literate had an advantage.  I have benefitted from all of those in the past, but now need to rely solely on luck.

Next year’s going to make this one look like a walk in The Park. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2018 at 10:07 PM, Penrhos said:

There way definitely something different this year with how see ran the sale. . I can't quite put my finger on it, but the way the holding page worked and how unstable the booking and payments pages were. Didn't seem to be the same as in previous years, perhaps it's the switch to AWS?

the hints were there in plane sight, with warnings of:-

• Only one tab & one browser per device.
  • Redirection to a dummy holding page if refreshing too quickly.
  • The 6 minutes to complete your booking (complete with countdown timer that kept freezing).
  • Registration numbers blocked for 10 minutes on failed bookings.

Its obvious there is no queue, just multiple holding pages and if you press F5 at just the right moment, as a slot comes free on the back-end servers hosting the booking page, you are in - then you have to hope back-page and clicking proceed & buy tickets multiple times actually gets you through multiple page crashes to ticket nirvana. 

To to be honest I'd be looking at what isp's and phone providers people were using to get through.

in my case EE-4G and Virginmedia business broadband (with fixed ip-address) got through and O2--4G and Virginmedia 100mb home broadband didn't. Browser wise both times "edge" worked, chrome didn't.

Wots AWS btw 

14 hours ago, Penrhos said:

Are you sure they are still using AWS? As a DNS lookup on the Glastonbury.seetickets.com domain name would suggest they are hosted by this company. https://www.exponential-e.com

https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=a%3aGlastonbury.seetickets.com&run=toolpage

Edited by alanDW

On 10/12/2018 at 9:02 PM, guypjfreak said:

Wife just looking down glasto chat Facebook and LOTS AND LOTS of people saying that they feel like ticket day was a bit strange this year...

. With lots of people like us that have been going for 15 plus years and who are all sorted out in groups some as big as 60 plus people like us and either only one group gets through or none at all. 

This isn't a moaning post just that we have been thinking the same and as it's all over glasto chat I thought it might be a good idea to chat about it here 

In exactly the same boat as you pal. Only one group out of a network of 13 managed to get through which is a first. We've had some misfortune before such as only half of groups getting through but that's left a manageable amount to try and get for resale time. This year a lot of us are sure to be disappointed if trying again in the resale.

I find it weird that with around 70+ people trying, different devices, internet connections etc. and only one person had success. Only one other got the add reg page up (which failed for him). Odds wise that seems particularly bad luck to me but would happily accept that it is just that. However, the fact other similarly organised groups (and people) were unlucky too does make me think there may be something more going here. But more than likely that "other thing" is that everyone has wised up and got themselves similarly organised so that edge has now been lost.

3 hours ago, cerv said:

In exactly the same boat as you pal. Only one group out of a network of 13 managed to get through which is a first. We've had some misfortune before such as only half of groups getting through but that's left a manageable amount to try and get for resale time. This year a lot of us are sure to be disappointed if trying again in the resale.

I find it weird that with around 70+ people trying, different devices, internet connections etc. and only one person had success. Only one other got the add reg page up (which failed for him). Odds wise that seems particularly bad luck to me but would happily accept that it is just that. However, the fact other similarly organised groups (and people) were unlucky too does make me think there may be something more going here. But more than likely that "other thing" is that everyone has wised up and got themselves similarly organised so that edge has now been lost.

This could be true BUT it seems to be a bit strange..

I still think that a loyalty scheme should be done.. Only because lolol.. 

Or definitely definitely raise the deposit to a ton with only a twenty spot return.. That'll learn them lolol 

On 10/13/2018 at 9:41 PM, timbrass said:

I got through using 4g on my phone. First two groups of reg numbers I entered had already been purchased and each time I was able to hit the back button and try re-entering different reg numbers. The third group I did purchase. And even then I could hit back and tried for another group but it had sold out.

Maybe I was an anomaly?

Was the first time in four years I'd even seen the booking page. Just got lucky I think.

The back click trick hasn't worked for a couple of years, but i do think the ghost page fooled many of the old hands. I've not failed to get tickets in the past 16 years and many of our large(ish) group have been successful before, but other then one failed attempt on the the credit card screen, we all just either saw white pages or the holding page. The fact that started to refresh instantly after I refreshed 5 pages in Edge simultaneously makes me pretty sure I must gone over the 60 hits per minute. ?

I've also always managed to get tickets in the re-sale and the secret sales, but last year there wasn't any secret sales, so I suspect this time its the official re-sale or nothing. My strategy, if you can call it that, is to recruit as many helpers as possible and just tell them the basics. Log on just before the sale, use one browser, refresh every few seconds max and if your lucky to get through cut and paste the info. That's as far as it goes now days. 

• Upvote 1

On a personal level the process didn't feel any more weird than any other year, I kept refreshing and not getting anywhere again, sister sorted tickets again.. It's chaotic, as usual. Had one eye on social networks while the sale was on and was seeing all the usual comments. In that sense, it could hardly have been more normal, for what it is.

If owt was weird for me, it was actually getting tickets. I wasn't expecting to, and my wife told me after we got tickets that she'd agreed to try thinking that we wouldn't get tickets. Her first was 2016 and we didn't have a great time so she was gutted that we got tickets. And I was gutted that she was gutted.. tried celebrating anyway, had a youtube and cans sesh at a mate's place, who's also coming.. 

41 minutes ago, RichardWaller said:

If owt was weird for me, it was actually getting tickets. I wasn't expecting to, and my wife told me after we got tickets that she'd agreed to try thinking that we wouldn't get tickets. Her first was 2016 and we didn't have a great time so she was gutted that we got tickets. And I was gutted that she was gutted.. tried celebrating anyway, had a youtube and cans sesh at a mate's place, who's also coming.. 

She was gutted that you got tickets??? :wacko: Eeeep well, I hope the weather is better this time and she has a great time. Or, doesn't mind if you go with just your mate if she really isn't up for it? I can't really imagine hating Glastonbury, but for sure being stuck somewhere you're not loving for five whole days is probably a bit grim

I felt terrible after getting tickets, we were all sorted out in to groups of six, the group i was put in did't have my best mate in there, so I changed group to be in his(there is no way if i got through i couldn't get him a ticket , every Glastonbury i have done was has been with him) then i did get through and I got my group tickets , the group i was in before the change didn't get through. I have felt terrible for a few weeks 

Definitely felt very different for me compared to previous years (including 2013 when I failed to get tickets) - and I just can't put my finger on what... Probably just coincidence, but interesting that other people experienced this.

It felt like a bit of a combination of things really, loads more server time out pages than normal, the fear of potentially getting dumped onto the fake holding page, and for the first time ever in many years of trying not once being able to enter registration details and have it fail - all of this was true for everyone in our group too.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:41 PM, timbrass said:

I have heard there was another loop hole... I know someone who claims they managed to get the booking page 3 times using this process. Pinch of salt to be taken unless he shows me how haha 

15 minutes ago, Havors said:

I have heard there was another loop hole... I know someone who claims they managed to get the booking page 3 times using this process. Pinch of salt to be taken unless he shows me how haha 

What process? The back button? Or something new and exciting?

One of my friends was able to use the back button this year, but only once. However, that was enough for us :)

2 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

What process? The back button? Or something new and exciting?

One of my friends was able to use the back button this year, but only once. However, that was enough for us :)

I have not managed to get all the information yet... but it was nothing to do with a back button apparently. He could be talking bollocks... but he has alwasy managed to get through multiple times every year apparently. I question if he's just a bloody hacker tbh.... 

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

She was gutted that you got tickets??? :wacko: Eeeep well, I hope the weather is better this time and she has a great time. Or, doesn't mind if you go with just your mate if she really isn't up for it? I can't really imagine hating Glastonbury, but for sure being stuck somewhere you're not loving for five whole days is probably a bit grim

Yeah... I dunno, I'd feel a twat going with her if she doesn't want to be there and I'd feel a twat going without her... See how she reacts to announcements, probably start trickling out in a few weeks...

• 2 years later...

I can say quite comfortably that success based on the internet connection will not be by design. How would a ticket seller know if you're using a Virgin Media leased line for example?

There are a few possibilities though. Web servers could mitigate persistent traffic from a smaller quantity of IP addresses for throttling and anti-DDoS purposes (which is what happens when hordes of people spam a site and hammer refresh).