So...do you remember your first time?

Peroni

well to be honest I had never heard of what was called Glastonbury Fayre - held in 1971 and yes I know there was one before that ' but that was unplanned ' and not counting events that were not planned the next one was 1979 and I would never have been aware about that but for a stroke of luck - a Booker for the festival showed up at the Half Moon in Putney and was after some of my friends who were in a Folk band - I got roped in as I could drive

it certainly was not advertised in London nor was it on TV ' and long before the Internet '

It was a right pain in the arse to find Pilton - no GPS and it did not appear in normal car maps - no helpful Stewards { that came later }

I cant find  1979/1981/1982 - not even sure if we had a wrist band ' but I do have the tickets { in a box somewhere }  but I came across these - 1987 was the last year I attended as a Punter and I have huge collection of Crew wristbands since then.

it would have sunk without a trace if CND did not get involved in 1981 and that is the very first year it was called ' Glastonbury Festival '

that for sure ' opened it up to the UK ' because all of a sudden ' adverts appeared in all CND shops and they also sold paper tickets - none of this using 10 PC's and 5 phones to get though - you just walked in ' handed over the money and the ticket was issued 

so what was 1979 like ? - have not got a clue and no one who was with me has either because ' we were well out of it ' - some came back in 1981 but the bad Mud in 1985 just was too much for the rest and I was the only one daft to go back in 1986 and 1987 and then decided to take the plunge into being a Volunteer ' even although tickets were easy to buy '

64_o.thumb.jpg.d7d0d65806256ad6177408906ddf3b22.jpg

Edited by glasto-worker
  • Upvote 5

16 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

well to be honest I had never heard of what was called Glastonbury Fayre - held in 1971 and yes I know there was one before that ' but that was unplanned ' and not counting events that were not planned the next one was 1979 and I would never have been aware about that but for a stroke of luck - a Booker for the festival showed up at the Half Moon in Putney and was after some of my friends who were in a Folk band - I got roped in as I could drive

it certainly was not advertised in London nor was it on TV ' and long before the Internet '

It was a right pain in the arse to find Pilton - no GPS and it did not appear in normal car maps - no helpful Stewards { that came later }

I cant find  1979/1981/1982 - not even sure if we had a wrist band ' but I do have the tickets { in a box somewhere }  but I came across these - 1987 was the last year I attended as a Punter and I have huge collection of Crew wristbands since then.

it would have sunk without a trace if CND did not get involved in 1981 and that is the very first year it was called ' Glastonbury Festival '

that for sure ' opened it up to the UK ' because all of a sudden ' adverts appeared in all CND shops and they also sold paper tickets - none of this using 10 PC's and 5 phones to get though - you just walked in ' handed over the money and the ticket was issued 

so what was 1979 like ? - have not got a clue and no one who was with me has either because ' we were well out of it ' - some came back in 1981 but the bad Mud in 1985 just was too much for the rest and I was the only one daft to go back in 1986 and 1987 and then decided to take the plunge into being a Volunteer ' even although tickets were easy to buy '

64_o.thumb.jpg.d7d0d65806256ad6177408906ddf3b22.jpg

Ads by Kiosked

Out of upvotes, but these are great :) I would have loved to have seen it in the early days. Maybe not 85 though...

My first was 2005, went with a mate as it was something we both wanted to try. Absolutly loved it. Knew I'd found my spiritual home. 

My mate spent most of the festival being sick in various places after going large on the Thursday night with anything he could purchase!

I watched 2007 on the television and regretted not going so much that I havent missed one since.

My mate has never been back!

'09 was my first one.  My brother in law started going in (I think) '07 with his best mate who'd been going for a few years before that.  As much as I loved music I was never massively into gigs and my festival experiences had been day passes at V97 and Reading 99, neither of which really gave me the festival bug.

So he started badgering me after they went in '08 to join them. Still hadn't married or even proposed to his sister at that point so there was no onus on him to take me other than he thought it would be cool, which was really nice in itself now I think about it! Can't remember whether any of the acts had been announced when I decided to join them, but I'm pretty sure it was on the basis of "why the hell not" rather than anyone I wanted to see.

Drove down on the Thursday.  At that time they had some friends working on site, so our tents were set up for us when we got there up by the tree in Big Ground which was a massive bonus!  We came in through PGB and down Muddy Lane, and I just remember him getting really excited as we were getting closer to the point in the fence line when you come through the trees and see it all. Standard excitement on behalf of the newbie because he couldn't wait to see my face when I saw the site in full.  Neither of us were disappointed! Was just blown away by it.

Standard wander on the Thursday night to get a feel for the place and just take it all in. Think that was the night Jackson died, certainly remember everyone wandering round spreading the word, and loads of impromptu discos at various shops and food places playing his tunes.

First act I saw was Golden Silvers up at the Park as his buddy was really keen on watching them.  I do remember it was drizzling. In a pattern that was to repeat itself over the next decade I spotted some flyers on a longdrop and wandered off on my own to go and see 3 Daft Monkeys in Avalon and King Porter Stomp in Croissant Neuf.  Finally got to see The Specials (again on my tod) and enjoying a smoke to Ghost Town. Never managed to find the guys and ended up seeing Ting Tings and Bloc Party by default as I tried to find them!

Rolf Harris on Jazz World (different times). Kasabian, Springsteen, Tom Jones, Madness, all finished off with Blur.

Never looked back. Made it back in '10, missed '11 due to getting married, back in '13, missed '14 due to cash flow following a wedding in Vegas, been back every year since then.

It's expanded my horizons massively. I go to gigs on my own because I just love live music and don't care if no-one I know likes the same bands as me. I eat way more vegetarian and vegan food after discovering how much was on offer. It's developed my social and political consciousness, and while I'm not perfect by any stretch I take way more interest in my impact on the world around me. I buy fairtrade and organic where I can, becoming a local shopper, supporting ethical trading and businesses. I've discovered meditation. I've discovered the joy of talking to and dancing with people with whom I have nothing in common other than a shared love of being in a particular place and watching a particular band at the same time. I've shared my drinks, my drugs and my hugs, and had other people share those things with me. I've met some wonderful people both in real life and online who I now consider (and hope they consider me) to be very good friends. I've shared some amazing times and created memories with people I love.

And all that from "yeah I might as well give it a go". So yeah, bucket listers are more than welcome. If I miss out on a ticket one year but that goes to someone who's being dragged along by their mates on the offchance, and their lives end up enriched by just a fraction of what Glastonbury's given me, I'll raise a tin of cider to them, wish them the best, and get ready for the next T-Day.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

11 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Out of upvotes, but these are great :) I would have loved to have seen it in the early days. Maybe not 85 though...

well as you can see it was simple to get from A to B - red dot is where we drove in - note key words 'drove in' - no special pass required and most people parked by their car - this was shot in the 80's { long before digital cameras so there is time stamp on it } - note the white mini although he was pushing his luck as a very daft place to camp taking in the crowd falling over it in the dark - after 1979 we were dead surprised that it was not held in 1980 so really did think it had gone but then the adverts came up in CND shops - and they did list who was playing.Even although there was two dodgy years for bad weather in the 80's - that to me was the best decade - it was not rammed packed with people - easy enough to get a drink and the early 80's did have Reggae cafe - now that was special - completely un licensed - My mates and I were pissing ourselves with two 19 years olds who were put off with the massive bouncers who were standing on the outside trying to persuade each other to go in - then some random guy walked up ' spotted what was going on ' - it was clear to us why they wanted to walk in - the random guy offered to buy whatever and these two handed over their money - random guy went in and amazingly was not long before he came back and handed what he bought - with stuff like that going on ' who needs to watch anything on a stage '

The so called cafe was run by a bunch of Rastafarian from Bristol - never did see anyone buying a cup of tea !!! sad when they were asked not to come back { or they decided not to go back as the Police was wandering about } 

they had a cracking Marquee but many missed it because of the two very heavy looking bouncers. 

en.thumb.jpg.056a742f0b8b6e5f5dfec6ac68a4fcd1.jpg0719_o.thumb.jpg.f96d4aa1066022a07378edcea94beca3.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

well as you can see it was simple to get from A to B - red dot is where we drove in - note key words 'drove in' - no special pass required and most people parked by their car - this was shot in the 80's { long before digital cameras so there is time stamp on it } - note the white mini although he was pushing his luck as a very daft place to camp taking in the crowd falling over it in the dark - after 1979 we were dead surprised that it was not held in 1980 so really did think it had gone but then the adverts came up in CND shops - and they did list who was playing.Even although there was two dodgy years for bad weather in the 80's - that to me was the best decade - it was not rammed packed with people - easy enough to get a drink and the early 80's did have Reggae cafe - now that was special - completely un licensed - My mates and I were pissing ourselves with two 19 years olds who were put off with the massive bouncers who were standing on the outside trying to persuade each other to go in - then some random guy walked up ' spotted what was going on ' - it was clear to us why they wanted to walk in - the random guy offered to buy whatever and these two handed over their money - random guy went in and amazingly was not long before he came back and handed what he bought - with stuff like that going on ' who needs to watch anything on a stage '

The so called cafe was run by a bunch of Rastafarian from Bristol - never did see anyone buying a cup of tea !!! sad when they were asked not to come back { or they decided not to go back as the Police was wandering about } 

they had a cracking Marquee but many missed it because of the two very heavy looking bouncers. 

en.thumb.jpg.056a742f0b8b6e5f5dfec6ac68a4fcd1.jpg0719_o.thumb.jpg.f96d4aa1066022a07378edcea94beca3.jpg

Love it! The pic and the map really help to imagine what it was like - and reggae cafe sounds great haha! The old pyramid seems to have got a little bigger...

The Mrs and I only went to our first festival in 2012 which was IOW. Loved it even though it was a wash out. We were the last car that was let into the field parking as was basically a quagmire. Had to get towed out by tractor on the Monday. 

Anyway, we well and truely got the bug for festivals after that and have been Glastonbury ever since, next year will be our 6th in a row, feel very lucky to have been successful with tickets each year. We also took my mum to her first Glastonbury in 2015 aged 56. She absolutely loves it. One of my favourite things about the festival is the age range of people you see/meet.

2009 was my first time as well, and have been every year since as both a punter and worker. As a bright eyed 17 year old it fundamentally changed the way I saw the world and can't imagine how different life would have been had I not taken the plunge and gone - the friends I've made and experiences I've undertaken since first going would never have happened. 

As for remembering the first time, I find some years merge together - I remember the thunderstorm Thursday night I think? And finding out Michael Jackson had died, we were in the circus fields with about 30 people crowded around the only person with a smart phone who googled it to find out if the rumours were true. Spent more time exploring than seeing music, but definitely made some questionable band choices (Bloc Party over Neil Young will haunt me for a long time). My lasting memory though was seeing Blur close out the Pyramid on the Sunday and walking back to the campsite with everyone still singing the refrain from Tender - it was when I realised nowhere would ever come close to Glasto and I would have no option to come back every year. 

Nearly made it in the late 1980s as a member of CND, but friends at the time were not so keen, so decided to give it a miss. Had my kids in 1990s but watched Glasto on TV and felt I just HAD to go. One of the mums who I met at ante-natal classes became my gig buddy (she's an ex-Record Mirror journo) called me out of the blue in April 2004 and said "pack your tent, we're going to Glasto!".

I remember us arriving at the site in the p*ssing rain. Fell over in the mud. Walked a billion miles from East Car Parks trying to find Spring Ground, where friends were camping. Eventually found them - we were completely wet, muddy and knackered ? But, we set up the tent, rain stopped, we had some grub at Lulu's, found the cider bus and Brothers Bar....and the rest is history. Only regret is having to leave early on the Sunday (after Divine Comedy on Other) as I had an important customer meeting in London on the Monday morning. I never made that mistake again ? Monday now is always booked as holiday.

I've only missed 2013 since (epic ticket fail). 

18 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Love it! The pic and the map really help to imagine what it was like - and reggae cafe sounds great haha! The old pyramid seems to have got a little bigger...

well the old pyramid looked directly up to the farm house - the shot with myself and John { who now lives in Thailand } - that is directly behind the pyramid  stage - no security in that field - you would not get that close these days - the pilot did not even lock the helicopter door - he landed and then went to get a cup of Tea - they only bothered with security for some bands and they used to stand at the side ' on stage ' so far different to what its like now 

work55er5.thumb.jpg.8074b02034edc40b22505cef9eb686d3.jpgworke445.thumb.jpg.b6af3e743e2f1275e5400bcd7d91e327.jpg

• Like 1

My wife’s first Glasto was the legendary 1995 one and she hadn’t shut up about it since so I went along in 2003 to see what the fuss was about.  I’d been to V Festival & Leeds a few times and thought I knew it all.   How wrong I was.   Not been back there since.  Glasto is easily the best there is.  2003 we turned up on Wednesday, camped in Spring Ground (now disabled camping) and it wasn’t full until Friday lunchtime (different times).  My highlight was seeing Love with Arthur Lee on the Other Stage in the setting sun.  Amazing. 

Been every year since barring 2013.  Endured the all night storms of 2005, the 2007 washout, the 2010 heatwave and the 2016 Brexit downer with added quagmire and it remains probably my favourite place on the planet. 

My first Glastonbury was 1994, aged 18. I’d been to Reading in 1992 and Phoenix in 1993 (I won tickets to that from on Mark Radcliffe’s radio programme). Had a good-ish time at those events, but can remember being bored a lot of time (was dragged along to watch Faith No More and The Black Crowes).

Think Glastonbury in 92/93 coincided with school exams or something, so it wasn’t really an option then. I was really into Scremadelica and Carter USM, so 92 would have been a good one...

Anwyay, got tickets in 94. Think my last A-level was the week before so was really up for it. The first band I remember seeing was The Beastie Boys on the NME stage!

Great festival - also saw Bjork/ Radiohead which have continued to be two of my favourite acts to this day....and I “got” dance music after watching Orbital’s amazing set that year too. Think I tried at least 3 illicit substances for the first time at that year’s festival too.

As my first time was 2014 I remember it very well. Arrived in Darble Wednesday lunch time - bone dry ground and tons of space. I remember the 'WTF is that' reaction to Arcadia testing the fire balls. 

Seeing the pyramid stage for the first time was something I'll never forget after all the years of watching on the BBC...and I'll certainly never forget Metallica on the Saturday!

My first was 1994.  My elder step brother had been the year before and showed me some photos.  He said I'd love it, and I held him to it.  I didn't know what to expect as it wasn't on TV or covered much in any press I ever read.

It blew my mind.  The weather was great and I saw lots of bands; RATM, Beastie Boys, Tool, L7 which were my kind of thing at the time.  I saw Bjork too, and on the recommendation of my step brother I hung around to see who Orbital were.  That was my first experience of dance music really.  It's fair to say it wasn't my last.

I was 16.  Been to plenty since, though not all.  I missed 95, so 94 remains a memory of what to my mind is an era of the festival that ended shortly after.  97, for all its qualities, was wet and britpop and mud and lots of TV coverage.  I'm really glad I have those memories.

Finishing uni, being on a massive Beatles kick, and Paul McCartney was playing (with Muse!) 

Next thing I knew, an all nighter followed by the legendary Freya link 

Came away thinking that I'd go back next year no matter what. This next one will be my 13th in a row. 

Edited by UEF

2008. I just wanted to go to a festival. Any festival. Got a group together but we couldn't decide between Reading and Glastonbury. In the end, only one of us had a preference. My friend was/is a massive rap fan and as Jay-Z was playing, we decided on Glastonbury.

Not gonna lie, I didn't get 'it' that year (turgid year musically) but I decided to give it another crack in 2009 and that's when I had the revelatory moment. 

I've been to every one since. My mate hasn't been back. I'll never be able to thank him enough for making the best decision of my life for me.

1998 was my first. I boarded a coach from London without a festival ticket and 12 cans of Carlsberg in my rucksack. I remember seeing the site for the first time as we drove near and thinking how huge it was (my only festival experience had been Phoenix on 1994). Arrived in the pissing rain but had to wait around for what seemed like ages for my mates from all over the UK to arrive. Once they got there we had to work out how to get in. Found some scousers who gave us a hand stamp for 20 quid. Don't remember much about the festival other than thursday and friday it rained all day and we went to see a band called The Warm Jets on friday, everyone watching was looking glum under their brollies but me and my mate were dancing and splashing in the mud - we had a song dedicated to us from the band! I know we camped in a field up by where Shangi-la is now.

Another think I remember was that we were trying to get from the other to the Pyramid on friday night in the rain and we accidentally walked into the interstage area. I remember there were loads of tour buses parked up but we couldn't find a way out so we had to use a piece of farm equipment to jump over the fence to get back into the main festival!

My 1st was 2009, my mate went in 08 and talked it up to me and said I could tag on with him and his mates. Dont know if he thought I would have actually been serious with it.

I got a lift with some mates from home and it took us like 16 hours to get in.

Not long after I pitched I went off to meet a girl I knew from back home. I'll never forget that walk over the railway line and through the markets to where Bourbon Street Beat use to be. Could literally feel the buzz and atmosphere in the air. I'd never felt anything like that.

Spent the weekend getting drunk and seeing some greats bands including the famous Blur set.

Fast forward and the group I know go with is huge as more and more people joined on due to us waxing lyrical about the place and that girl I went to meet is know my wife.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My first one was 2011. My friend encouraged me to go and he booked the tickets. That was probably my best Glasto experience attending with just one friend

Did 2013 and 14 as well but I organised big group of friends to come, which was probably a bit too much carnage.

Couldn’t do 2015 due a family wedding, 2016 due to a friend’s wedding and 2017 due to my daughter being born in mid June.

I am looking forward to 2019!

6 hours ago, Skoo said:

2007 was my first year too! Bit of a baptism of fire that wasn’t it? Had the best time ever, the rain didn’t bother me. 

I’d done loads of festivals before Glastonbury and thought myself something of an expert so didn’t do a scrap of research ahead of 2007. Was completely unprepared for it all, but I think in many ways my complete lack of expectation is what made it so incredible. I remember just constantly getting lost and walking miles trying to find places and of course being distracted constantly on the way there. If I could relive anything it would be Glasto 2007! 

another one for 2007... I went with my 2 nephews (early 40's) in a hired campervan in CV East...

I remember having a bimble on wednesday afternoon when it was so sunny and dry. The rain started that evening and just did not stop.The Killers were great as were Arcade Fire, Gogello Bordello and the Good Shoes.. (whatever happened to them?).. It was so wet that the mud was like wading through soup. Much easier than the clawing sticky stuff of 2016. By the time The Who were half way through on sunday night the water had got into my army style poncho, my feet were wet, it got really cold and i was a knackered shell of a man....  

I missed 2008 but was back with my 2 daughters for 2009. Have been lucky enough to return every year since then bringing newbies like wife, cousin, cousins kids, daughters boyfriends and friend and thir family...

I love standing on top of the hill of death with the family on Tuesday night looking down on a near empty site that has a buzz of anticipation emanating from it.. It just feels like coming home.

• Like 1

Loving all these stories guys.

Knowing what this festival has the power to do and provide those that go and embrace it is priceless... and it really doesn't matter what drove you here in the first place.

It really is a magical place and that's why I don't think you can begrudge anyone for wanting to see what it's all about.   BucketLister,  Music Purist, Alternative, Hippy, raver or other...

Edited by Peroni
  • Upvote 1

Don't recall first, or second. Was mid 80s. I've asked me folks and they don t remember. Really. They have no idea. 

94 I returned as a yoof. Been every Glasto since. I can understand why those first years can't be pinned down as I don't recall which years are which. I remember the Orb 94 and prodigy and pulp 95 and that is literally all I can separate those years. 

First Glasto (& first festival) in 89, first of 4 on the trot. Missed 94 due to a knee op on the Sunday, then didn’t get back till 99. Did plenty of Reading, Phoenix (brilliant one) and raves in between. Back at G from 99 to 2003, buy that time had two kids (although they had both been - eldest was a festival veteran by the time she was 7!) and did BD and others instead. 

Managed to get tickets for G in 2016 and 2019 will be my third and 11th in total since returning to the fold. There’s a pattern here!

But by god it’s changed! Wish I’d had the tech we have now back when, there’d be some incredible stuff