Fitness for Glasto 2019 Thread

The Placid Casual

20 minutes ago, slash's hat said:

:lol:. My hubby 46 gets asked to play for the veterans side every now and then, have to remind him if he plays I ain't listening to him whinge all week about his pains and stud marks (get out the way then is the sympathy he gets for that one)

Whinging is our absolute prerogative as players, particularly vets :lol:

On 10/16/2018 at 8:10 PM, Hugh Jass said:

9 mile run tonight from Embankment tube along the river to Greenwich.

It feckin hurt.

Good work Hugh. 

Keep at it. 

Just this minute finished a swift 8 miler tonight (treadmill) after a break for over a week after my solo 26.2. 

Weirdly discovered that A Forest by The Cure Live at Bestival is PERFECT timing for every other footfall (or every right foot strike and vice versa left foot strike) if you stick on the snare drum and want to run at 8mph. 

4 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Good work Hugh. 

Keep at it. 

Just this minute finished a swift 8 miler tonight (treadmill) after a break for over a week after my solo 26.2. 

Weirdly discovered that A Forest by The Cure Live at Bestival is PERFECT timing for every other footfall (or every right foot strike and vice versa left foot strike) if you stick on the snare drum and want to run at 8mph. 

Cheers Woff, did ten over the weekend and  going to do another ten tomorrow. Would like to be up and around 15 by Christmas.

Strangely I found Autophelia by the Bluetones to be a great song to pace to.

• Upvote 1

I'm doing the Valencia marathon on Dec 2nd but I was out for about 3 months with an injured calf. Usually follow an 18 or 12 week schedule for marathons but I only recovered in time to make it about 9 or 10 for this one. Managed to get 75mi in last week finishing with a decent paced 20mi on Sunday; just did an easy 6mi today....need to stay in one piece.

7 minutes ago, SighMo said:

I'm doing the Valencia marathon on Dec 2nd but I was out for about 3 months with an injured calf. Usually follow an 18 or 12 week schedule for marathons but I only recovered in time to make it about 9 or 10 for this one. Managed to get 75mi in last week finishing with a decent paced 20mi on Sunday; just did an easy 6mi today....need to stay in one piece.

Wow. Impressive stuff SighMo. 

Keep us posted. 

Also everone should check out SuperScally from off of here. Aka @runroblarun on Twitter. 

Aka: The Real Life Forrest Gump. 

24 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Wow. Impressive stuff SighMo. 

Keep us posted. 

Also everone should check out SuperScally from off of here. Aka @runroblarun on Twitter. 

Aka: The Real Life Forrest Gump. 

Cheers, I will.

I do know who you're talking about, he's proper quick with a 2:27 marathon pb. So cool he's on here though :-)

What are folks running soundtracks? Do you go for whole albums, playlists, radio...?

On my standards 5 miler I can usually fit in a whole album plus a few tracks from Spotify’s album radio when it ends.

Good for trying out new stuff, but made a few “mistakes” in my time as I tend not to flap about changing it once I get going, I have got stuck with something I’ve not been impressed by!

Edited by John the Moth
Grammar

On 10/10/2018 at 7:28 PM, Penrhos said:

Aiming to get down to 12st 7lbs... 

Currently 14st 11lbs.

Also want to start building up my daily steps as I clocked up 75 miles in four days in 2017 and I felt every one of them afterwards.

75...wow...I did about 60 and thought that was excessive

8 hours ago, John the Moth said:

What are folks running soundtracks? Do you go for whole albums, playlists, radio...?

On my standards 5 miler I can usually fit in a whole album plus a few tracks from Spotify’s album radio when it ends.

Good for trying out new stuff, but made a few “mistakes” in my time as I tend not to flap about changing it once I get going, I have got stuck with something I’ve not been impressed by!

I’ve got a playlist of about 300 songs that I stick on random whenever I go out. I find I can’t listen to anything new as it distracts me, needs to be something I’m already very familiar with so I can switch that part of my brain off.

9 hours ago, John the Moth said:

If I'm running I've actually found I prefer doing it without music tbh.  As it's not my favourite thing in the world I find that my brain turns music into duration. Instead of a song I like it becomes another 4 minutes!

Exception was when I was training for the paras run earlier this year. Because it was a pretty slow steady pace I found that a 60s/70s type mix worked pretty well. Stuff like Eagles, America, Simon & Garfunkel, Moody Blues, Zeppelin...shouldn't have worked but it did :)

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

If I'm running I've actually found I prefer doing it without music tbh.  As it's not my favourite thing in the world I find that my brain turns music into duration. Instead of a song I like it becomes another 4 minutes!

My brain works the opposite way, I enjoy the song and think when it's over I'm four minutes closer to being done.

On 10/23/2018 at 10:00 AM, Quark said:

I also prefer running without. But more because I like my head to be clear and take in the sounds of my surroundings. Plus I do a lot of training on the track with others, so it's a social thing to. Helps that I have done it without since I started running at 8 years old, and enjoy it :P

39 minutes ago, phillyfaddle said:

I did the Inca Trail, plus the 5000m Rainbow Mountain in August. Good training for Pennard “Hill”......⛰

It's strange is it. I do a fair bit of mountain walking but wouldn't describe myself as being fit. I'm just not un-fit, if that makes sense. I know Glasto entails an awful lot of walking, but it's just that, walking. Of course, it's tiring, even if you're super fit it would still be tiring. I think what I'm trying to say is that you don't need to be especially fit to take on the rigours of Glastonbury (but of course, it would help) Just try not to be un-fit!